The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    Nice work.

I haven't thumbed through the year's worth of posts in your journal. But you say you're at 12.5%. Back on page one from 14 months ago you estimated 18%. Did you ever get measured initially?
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

Nope but given what I know now it was highley unlikey I was 18%. more like mid/high 20's!

Eventually I will post before and afters and you can judge for yourself!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

By the way, some crude calculations would have put me at about 22% fat at 200lbs but who knows.

When you look back at the time span thats far too long really to lose that weight. But I had to go through some pretty useful lessons along the way and I struggled with consistency an awful lot. If I were 200lbs now, I am confident I could drop to 175 in a pretty rapdi time frame knowing what I know now..

Day 33 - Tues 8th June

Great day today.

I started off with a really earming morning fasted cardio session - 40 min total.

Some intervals on the stationary bike (60 on, 120 off for 3 intervals) - 10 min total with an extra minute at the end.
    10 min skipping
    10 min cross trainer
    5 min row
    5 min cross trainer

I also hit my low carb 100%.

Weighed 171.5 this morning, new weight PR by half a pound

I've been having really odd bowel movements lately. I literally didn;t go for aboiut 2-3 days and started to get bad stomach aches and then went loads yesterday after taking some mild laxatives.. I don't think my inconsistency helps, I am sure eating like a pig for 3 days and then clean for 5 isnt the best thing for healthy bowel movements lol.

Oh and yesterday I even managed to get my ass in gear in write a little something for my blog - http://danielclough.com/2010/06/08/d...-educate-them/ (Thats an old pic by the way, about 9 months old)

Sub 170 is so goddamn close.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-09-2010 at 02:45 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Day 34 - Weds 9th June

Ok, the day is out and I am pretty sure I won't go and do something stupid like nail a ben and jerrys lol

Low carb day = 100%

Looked like this:

Meal 1
    3 rice cakes
    1.75 scoops of Nitrean
    2g fish oil

Meal 2
    3 rice cakes
    1.75 scoops of Nitrean
    2g fish oil

Meal 3
    1 Gammon Steak (fat trimmed)
    1 cup veg

Meal 4
    1 Gammon Steak (fat trimmed)
    1 cup veg

Meal 5 (post workout)
    2 scoops of Nitrean

Meal 6
    150g beef mince
    2 cup veg
    5g fish oil

The gym was tough. this super setting malarke with minimal rest inbetween each super set kicks your ass. It was a new rotune with new movements and seeing as the emhpasis is to just keep reps high and move about a lot, I didn't go crazy (plus I just feel weaaaaaaaaak right now)

Annoyingly I had to skip chins due to pain in my elbow. This has been with me for about a month now and to be honest I need a couple of weeks off pulling movements I reckon to recover, but right now I'll just be stupid and work through what I can. It just hurt too much, so I switched them to blast strap rows at bodyweight to keep moving.

I would say we had about 1 mn rest in between each super set!

Super set 1 - Hip Thrust & Blast Strap rows

Hip Thrust - 60Kg x 12, Blast Strap rows x 12 (BW)

Super set 2 - Deadlift & Bench

Deadlift - 60Kg x 10, Bench - 22.5KG DBS x 12
    Deadlift - 60Kg x 10, Bench - 22.5KG DBS x 10
    Deadlift - 60Kg x 10, Bench - 22.5KG DBS x 19

Super set 3 - Lateral Raise & Straight Posture Sit Up

Lateral Raise - 10Kg x 6+4, Straight Posture Sit Up x 12 (BW)
    Lateral Raise - 7.5Kg x 8+2, Straight Posture Sit Up x 10 (BW)
    Lateral Raise - 7.5Kg x 6+4, Straight Posture Sit Up x 8 (BW)

I did the laterals with my arms starting from the side rather than in front and man it was much harder.

Finished off with 3 intervals on the rower.

Warm up - 4min @ 2:20/500M
    3 x 2min @ 1:50/500M, 2 min @ 2:20/500M
    Warm down - 2min @ 2:20/500M

DONE.

The one thing I am noticing this week is my overall cardio is prib gonna come in lower, but I am doing more intervals and they kick your ass, so we'll see. Gonna up the medium cardio Thursday and Friday, so come the weekend everything should be in great shape.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-09-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Man I am pissed right now.

I weighed 173 on the scales this morning which is rubbish.

I also took new pics for Shelby and quite frankly they just frustrated and demotivated me.I look a little leaner from my pics in mid May, but it's a close call and of course overall I just hate the way I look.

I've asked Shelby some questions about how much further we go and whether perhaps a lean bulk might be a better course of action seeing as my lean mass is pretty low, so we'll see..

Right now I am seriously questioning if all this effort and sacrifice is worth it. I'm training hard EVERY day and apart from the odd slip eat clean and not a lot each day. I turn down social invitations regularly, I'm really careful about what I eat/drink at parties, it;s rare i eat out with my girlfriend or have a nice normal meal in the evenings and I just wonder if it is all worth it to be constantly pissed off with how I look - I definately don;t think the results are worth the effort right now.

Sure, I feel happier leaner and I enjoy my training too, but on the grand scheme of things I could stay sub 180 with much less effort and have much more fun so I kinda winda why I keep this whole thing up.

I'm just having a moan and I'll see what Shelby says today
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-10-2010 at 02:41 AM.

We all have those moments that make us want to throw in the towel. Maybe it's easier for someone like me, I mean, I face basically a life or death situation, live past 50 or die of a massive heart attack before I'm 50. But, weigh things like that. I know you want 10% BF, I know you're drilling like crazy, every day, eating right, not hanging out with friends and all that, but think of the end goal, think of that day where you finally reach all of those goals. We have to have those short term goals, but it's that massive ray of gold at the end of that tunnel that makes us crazy. Keep your head up. I'm sure Shelby will give you some great advice as to what to do. Keep at it, hang in there man, you've got this.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Get massive, then you can eat far more freely.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

EVERYBODY gets frustrated. NOBODY is pleased with themselves. Look at the positives and keep moving on.

I keep thinking that I should be making faster progress than I am. But then I think, "Have I ever made fast progress?" As long as things are moving in the right direction...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Cheers for the words of encouragement guys.

You know, I think a lot of it has to do with this cut is just becoming a real slog now and it's honestly making me a bit unhappy at the moment. Plus I thought I would look better than I did when I was relatively lean, but I'm not happy and that has a lot to do with my low amount of lean muscle.

I've been cutting (to varying degrees of intensity) for a good 12-18 months now and it's just taking it's toll on be both physically and emotionally. I hit 12.5% bodyfat (which is a decent achievement for me) so I think I am gonna call it a day now and re-focus. Being able to eat a bit more, do less cardio and actually be able to focus on strength and progression is something I am craving and my lean muscle mass needs a boost.

I definately do not intend to return to bad habits, it will be a LEAN bulk trust me.

I'm in talks with Shelby, but here is what I am thinking at the moment, starting next week.

• 4 weeks - lean gain
    • 2 weeks - cut (to prep for beach)
    • 1 week - vacation (eat as much as possible and move as little as possible)
    • 2 weeks - cut (trim from week vacation and get used to a bit of discipline again)
    • lean gain through to April 2011

We shall see

For now though, cardio and low carbs will continue
    Last edited by Joe Black; 06-10-2010 at 08:34 AM.

If you are that burnt out on it, a change will do you good. I can't wait to see what kind of gains you'll make if you approach it with the same dedication.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

It's official, Shelby liked the plan and has given me a new diet to start next week which returns to high, med and low carb days and less cardio - this is going to be PURE heaven.

Let the fun begin...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I wannabebig!
    congrats on the progress

though it's not my decision, I would say to take a week or two off the diet at maintenance (get your mind right and allow for a little slack) before continuing to.....

cut

You set a goal of 10% and you are nearrrrrly there. I can almost say without a doubt you will be much happier when you reach that goal vs turning it around now with any kind of bulk, lean or not.

Nice dude! I am glad you're going that path...didnt really like the sound of dipping below 170lbs...unless you are 5ft tall...there is no reason to be that light...I cant wait to see the new plan begin!

Banned
    /agree with ryuage.... and 18 months of cutting is such a long time. jeez.

however... my only thought is the time you have allocated to each piece up there seems like too little to be effective for the attached goal. how much do you really expect to gain in 4 weeks? or lose for 2 weeks? seems like a waste of 6 weeks to me

lol 18 months is a long time, tell me about it.. Bear in mind though I went from being very out of shape and along the way I had to really learn the right way for me to be able to eat clean and it wasn't a smooth ride by any stretch of the imagination.

The good news is that I don't ever plan to be much over 15% from now so cutting down to 10% in the future isn't going to be such an ordeal and I am much better prepared as I know what to do and how to actually go about it now.

I hear what you guys are saying about reaching 10%, but trust me I'm over it. The length of time that I have been dieting for has just grinded me down and although I intend to go there again, I need a break from it and I want to start enjoying my training again.

f=ma, you're right about the length of time being too short and if I wasn't just totally sick of eating low carb and doing cardio every day I would probably just press on, but the short periods of lean gain and cutting are really just to mix things up. I am looking forward to 4 weeks of some high carb days and being able to hit the gym feeling strong and to be able to properly get some nice post workout nutrition in. The 2 weeks either side of the vacation are to just cut a couple of lbs really.

The new plan is 2 high carb days, 1 medium carb day and 4 low carb days and the low and med carb days will be a previous version of them with slightly more carbs than I have been consuming recently on low and med carb days. Cardio will be 4 x 30 mins a week, so there will still be some low carb and cardio going on, I won't be slacking

As for training, I'll have a chat with my training partner/trainer today. I'll probably be fine to keep with the same plan (super sets followed by intervals) through to my vacation after which I'll revert to something a little more focused around progression (as opposed to just getting volume through me) but if he wants to switch to that sooner, it'll be good by me.

Cheers for following everyone, your encouragement along the way has massively helped and I can't wait to be abe to post some stronger numbers in the next few months!

I wannabebig!
    the only reason I say it (as you have said) is you don't plan to get over 15%

starting at 12.5... before you know it you will be at 15% sooner than later and it'll be time to diet again. See my point?

Yeah, although me saying I won't go over 15% is more me just saying that I don't ever want to be fat again. I'm not going to get re-tested any time soon.

I desperately need to slap some lean muscle on my frame and other than the two short cutting periods either side of my vacation, I don't intend to properly cut until summer 2011 now where I will really fight to get to 10% and hopefully look better for it with more lean muscle on.

Ok, so I spent yesterday re-planning out the diet and training plan for operation lean gain.

I now have all my high, med and low carb days all mapped out. I'll be on 2 high, 1 med and 4 low with the high and med carb days on my weight-training days. All food sources will be nice and lean as usual.

As for training, I'm going to have 3 x full body weight sessions a week consisting of super sets and within the 8-12 rep range. I'll be doing 2 hours of cardio a week which will be spread over 2 days (2 x 45min steady state) and then 3 x 10 min intervals (at the backend of each weight training day).

I'm also going to make a massive effort to foam roll and do mobility work before my training sessions and on my off days. I've been slacking on ths front lately and seeing as I will be pushing for some good progression over the coming months, it'll become more important to stay in good shape.

So, it's going to look like this:

Mon - weights + 10 min intervals (high carb)
    Tues - 45min cardio (low carb)
    Weds - weights + 10 min intervals (high carb)
    Thurs - off (low carb)
    Fri - weights + 10 min intervals (med carb)
    Sat – 45min cardio (low carb)
    Sun - off (low carb)

After going back and forth quite a bit, this definately feels right. I'm confident that after a good period like this I now have the knowledge and experience to follow it in the future with a really successful 12-16 week cut. And you never know, as I gain me some muscle I may well even be happier with my look.

Canlt wait till Monday to get cracking.

Daniel, now you have to change the name of your journal...dang it! haha. You seem excited about the new plan, so let's get it going. I'm excited for you.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Good luck with the new plan. I was kind of hoping you'd hop on the HCT-12 bandwagon, but we'll plug along without you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Good luck with the new plan. I was kind of hoping you'd hop on the HCT-12 bandwagon, but we'll plug along without you.
    I am itching to get on HCT12

Heres the thing though, at the moment my weight training is done at a private facility and recently my trainer switched to be my training partner and cut me a great deal on training at his gym, so I feel compelled to train using his programming whilst we are doing that.

HCT12 will def be part of my lean gain before next summer though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Daniel, now you have to change the name of your journal...dang it! haha. You seem excited about the new plan, so let's get it going. I'm excited for you.
    Good point - I might even start a new one and link to it!

Banned
    good luck daniel. stay consistent and you will get there. i like the new plan

Cheers buddy, I am SO looking forward to it!

By the way everyone, I created a new journal here - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...trength-please

I really appreciate you guys following me and helping me along the way!