The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Things are going REALLY well. First 4 meals eaten precisely as planned. Nice to know I CAN do it.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Nice work Daniel!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Just finished meal 5.. A perfect 100% day!!!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Good stuff mate, remember the good times when the going gets tougher!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Thanks guys. Yesterday was so good. It really felt like a different lifestyle and the stuff I made was really easy, quick and tasty.

Off to a great start today too. Meal two in an hour.. Can;t wait for my novus bar and veggies

Your diet really looks on track the past few days. Workouts are looking good too, just be sure to take care of all those little aches and pains. Do you foam roll?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I should foam roll more. Actually getting down to the gym 30 mins early to do it.

My stretching is normally 10 mins of hip stretches then some hockey ball rolling on the glutes - 2 to 3 times a day but gonna put some foam rolling in there too I think.

Diet is soooooooo good today also. Had four meals so far - all perfect and tasty. Off to train now, drink an opticen, then it's sirloin skewers with curry chickpeas and day two done @ 100%...

The back stuff is frustrating me so much. I am getting back and glute twinges all day long. just gotta really stretch and foam roll more and really focus on form and the weight. I'll get through it though!

Well, I have definitely surprised myself with the last four (nearly) days of eating.

After going back through precision nutrition and planning out a few days of eating with recipes from gourmet nutrition I have as of now eaten 18 meals to perfection, exactly as planned. And best of all they were all easy to cook and tasted great. I really feel like I have turned a corner here for three reasons.

1. I have realized that good, healthy food can be quick to cook and tasty to eat. You just have to know the recipes!

2. I have taken some rules from precision nutrition that I was not applying previously which I think will go a long way to getting me lean. Specifically only eating non veg/fruit carbs only on training days and within 2-3 hours after a meal. IT also forces me to go for a run if I want to eat a carb evening meal.

3. I have actually proven to myself that I can stick to a clean eating plan. This gives me the confidence that as soon as I get back from Cyprus, it will be a clean eating lifestyle for me. I just can’t see me going back, I want this too bad. My family invited me for a meal this evening and I am even asking for just the meat and veg, no potatoes.. Yes, they were a bit taken back lol

Wow, I am just so pleased. I actually cooked salmon scrambled eggs this morning and last night ate steak burgers with coconut curry chickpeas. Tasty and damn good for me

Ok, enough of the excitement, I got 2 more full days left to complete the 6 day 100% challenge.

Training also is going well. Back/glutes are still playing me up but I managed to get in a good workout on Friday.

Flat Barbell Bench Press – 5 x 12 (52.5k, 50k, 47.5k, 45k, 40K) I just needed a help on the last 2 for the last set.

Squat thruster (back squat into military press) 4 x 6 @30K

Glute Ham Raise - 3 x 12, 12, 12 (bodyweight)

Dumbell Bicep Curl - 2 x 12 (15k, 12.5k and 10k dumbbells)

I gave Turkish get ups a miss because of the back.

I went for a 2 mile run on Saturday also so I could have my coconut curry chickpeas

I’ll update tomorrow after the training session and it will be 5 days 100%

A really short update. Training and eating have been going great, great, great. I totally proved to myself that I can eat super clean for 6 full days and actually have it taste good and it was pretty easy! Precision Nutrition and Gourmet Nutrition really were a great help.

I am off on a weeks vacation and then I will be back on it. I will be hitting it really hard and taking before and after pictures over 12 weeks and I am confident of losing a good 8-10 lbs during that period. Can;t wait!

Enjoy your vacation with your lady mate. Good work to see you jumping in to nutrition early, it'll be even easier when you get back. I noticed massive differences in gains when I was eating properly.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Cheers mate!
    Yeah, I’m confident that with some consistent good eating, things will come together and my 6 day eating experiment at 100% before I went away gives me the confidence that I CAN stick to this.

I’ve hit the gym already yesterday and Thursday, but nothing major – just stretching and doing some light stuff to get back into it. Everything resumes on Monday – hard training and consistent clean eating.

A few goals for the next 12 weeks. Mostly it’s about being consistent with my training and eating, apart from the one very tangible goal of losing 14lbs!

• Lose 14lbs
    • Be consistent with training – minimum of 5 sessions per week (3 weight training at Core Cambridge and 2 cardio sessions)
    • Be consistent with eating – stick to precision nutrition eating plan 90% each week
    • Stretch every day for a minimum of 30mins

If I can stick to the above, I know I can lose 14lbs, get stronger, get fitter, get more flexible and crossing my fingers, stay injury free.

I already have all my food bought for the next 6 days and I’ll get back to daily updates from Monday. Attached is the training and eating plan for Mon – Sat.

SO looking forward to smashing this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oh, also I weigh 206 lbs as of this morning, Saturday 30th May.

I am also going to take some before pictures this weekend and will post them along with the after pics later on..

Good stuff Daniel

Having a plan will help you greatly as opposed to just winging it

I'm sure you can reach those goals

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Monday June 2nd

Yesterday went brilliantly.

Diet wise I stuck to 5 of the 6 meals. The one I missed was my workout drink which was fine because it was only a cardio session and the most important thing to me was to get the post workout meal in which happened just fine (salmon and vegetable brown rice!)

Training wise, I went to this huge field near my house where they have a 12 point exercise station thing they just put up. Ok, sounds a bit lame but it's actually pretty tiring and got me moving and breathing hard. The stations are stuff like chin in ups, dips, shoulder press, sit ups, rop climn, monkey bar etc.. All evenly spaced round a big ole field. So I ran on lap, then did the course for one lap and then ran another lap after which I was well tired.. About 30 mins in total. I am gonna build myself up to being able to do 3 and 3 eventually.

Today I have my weights session, so I will report back tomorrow with how that went. Already started today off with a 500 yard swim which definatwly woke me up this morning as it's an outside freezing cold pool!

Swimming is an excellent way to get a cardio workout in.

Can't say it's my favorite, but that's because I swim like a rock at my size LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Monday June 2nd

Training wise, I went to this huge field near my house where they have a 12 point exercise station thing they just put up. Ok, sounds a bit lame but it's actually pretty tiring and got me moving and breathing hard. The stations are stuff like chin in ups, dips, shoulder press, sit ups, rop climn, monkey bar etc..

Already started today off with a 500 yard swim which definatwly woke me up this morning as it's an outside freezing cold pool!
    Those exercises don't sound lame, they sound awesome! You want to be able to move your own body effectively first before worrying about moving anything else (my philosophy anyway).

Are you bonkers man? Swimming in an outside pool in England in the morning? That's crazy talk! I bet it gets the blood pumping though haha.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Swimming is an excellent way to get a cardio workout in.

Can't say it's my favorite, but that's because I swim like a rock at my size LOL
    lol... Doing 5 laps killed me, I was suprised at how cardiovascular demanding it can be.. Either way, it just gets me moving about in the morning which is good for cardio and flexibility.

And the cold water acts as shock therapy

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Those exercises don't sound lame, they sound awesome! You want to be able to move your own body effectively first before worrying about moving anything else (my philosophy anyway).

Are you bonkers man? Swimming in an outside pool in England in the morning? That's crazy talk! I bet it gets the blood pumping though haha.
    It wasn't toooo bad, but a little chilly. Woke me up for sure anyway lol

Tuesday 2nd June

Yesterday was another great day - the diet was followed 100% and felt easy to do which was awesome. Switched the sirlion kebabs for home made burgers which were tasty with cocounut curry chickpeas!

Training was awesome too. First proper session back and we've changed my routine around. I did like what I was doing before I went on holiday because the low rest, high rep stuff made me really work and ultimately that's going to count towards the fat loss goal. But, form tended to slip during sets so we decided to go anoher route. Still 3 sessions a week - first 40 minutes is weights.. Lower rep ranges, low-normal rest.. And then the other 20 mins GPP work to get the heart rate up. This should enable me to really focus on form (and avoid niggles with my back) but also work hard towards the end of the session..

Yesterdays session.... (I didn't get it written down, so some of the sets and weights are from memory. Future sessions will be accurate )

• Push Press - 5 x 3 (22.5k, 20K, 20K, 20K, 20K) - in line with really focusing on the form, we dropped to twenties, but it won't be long before that goes up.
    • Romanian Deadlift - 3 x 6 (70K, 70K, 70K)
    • Bench Press 3 x 6 (70K, 62.5K, 62.5K)
    • Barbell roll - 4 x 3

Then the fun stuff comes. I did the following circuit twice.

• sled dragging to end of car park and back (maybe 30-40m each way?)
    • Squat and push with ball x 8 (basically squatting with a ball and then pushing it high into the air)
    • Carry a 32.5k dumbel to end of car park and run back
    • Ball Slams into floor x 8
    • Run to end of car park and bring 32.5k dumbell back
    • Resisted run to end of car park (Dan behind me with a band)

The aim here wasn't to absolutely kill me, but to keep it about 60% which felt about right doing this twice. Over the course ot 12 weeks we'll up the intensity and volume.

Oh and as you know, I went swimming in the morning.

AWESOME day - 12 weeks of this and I can;t see how I can't lose 14 lbs.
    At the end of the first one

Haha nice workout Plenty of things in there to keep you interested and not bored! Yeah the pounds should drop bigtime mate through your strict diet plan and those cardio activities. Best of luck with your goal.

Very impressive determination in here! Way to go to keep the diet consistent but with good food.

I'll be checking by in here too.

all the best

Mike
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

GPP work looks like fun mate, though I do enjoy conventional barbell training as it feels so much easier to map your progress.

Good to hear your trainers are taking into account those back niggles and doing something about it, I look forward to seeing your progress after a few months mate.

BTW if you haven't yet, I suggest taking some photos to compare to later on.
    My Journal

Cheers for the comments guys! Going to take some photos later today

Short update for yesterday as it was a day off for me on the training front. I did a little bit of light stretching but that was about it.

Diet wise, it was 100% apart from I slipped and had carbs with my evening meal (chicken, beef and vegetable skewers with cocunut curry chickpeas) and a glass of Rose.... I had some friends come round for dinner and really I should have stuck to water and just had salad with my meal, but I just relaxed a bit too much.

But, looking on the positive it's not like I ate a whole damn pizza or anything and let's face it 90% is my goal and I am still way ahead of that already this week. So I'm not gonna sweat it...

Today I have a proper training session at Core Cambridge and I played an hour of tennis this morning which was cool. Really looking forward to getting back into tennis.

See you tomorrow

Another spot on day yesterday, I really feel like I have this stuff nailed now. I just wanna lose this weight and get stronger and fitter SOOOO badly.

Dietwise yesterday it was all exactly as planned apart from a decided to have a salad/oil with my burgers rather than carbs to make up for eating carbs with my main meal the day before when I really shouldn't have. 3 strawberrys for desert lol...

Training was pretty good too. My second session of the new routine and I am liking it.

clean/jumps - 5 x 5 (not sure what to call these.. Basically they are when you start like romanian deadlift but only go down to just above the knee and then jump up explosively into a shrug. The aim here is to eventually to learn the clean)

front squats - 65K (3 x 6)

chin ups (with green band) (3 x 6)

side ab planks (3 x 30 secs each side)

Then we were going to do a circuit but straight into itmy calve gave me problems so we just ended up stretching out.. Annoynig but just need to stretch more!!!

Overally a fairly easy workout compared to Tuesday but we're still just feeling out the weights and focusing on the form for the new exercises...it will get heavier and harder pretty quickly.

Looking forward to the weigh in on Monday.

YAAAAAAAY explosive lifting starts soon! A whole lot of fun in that little sector of weightlifting Dan, keep on track mate.
    My Journal