The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Bloodylawngym comeback 2009

I am slowly going to start working out again with a multi-ply meet in mind. I was training for my first APF meet and hurt my left shoulder while benching. I train alone and when I use the shirt I need to go heavy and I have to unrack myself.

A little about me: I am 43 years old. reside in surprise Arizona. Been training since 12 years old but powerlifting since 2002. I have an elite total 2155 I reached in nov 2007 in a single ply meet (NASA) 805 sq 700 bench 650 dl.

I plan to continue doing single ply meets but also expand to multi ply meets. I also want my raw power to go up...(I want it all)

I had great success with the conjugate method and real good success with Metal Militia training. I often swith between the 2. With the conjugate method I get to switch things around and have fun.

I benched the other day 290 3x3 with little pain so I will continue to rehab but will start planning to try to compete hopefully first 1/4 of 2009 (like Feb). It has been very hard for me now i am 43 to train in my garage durring the summer( has been up to 120 in my garage) and my training time is never the same due to work..

well, no more excuses, just have to be smarter this time around. I am planning on posting my workouts to share my experience as well as collecting ideas from the crew here.

Will post links from past trainnig sessions soon

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck to you, man! I'll be looking forward to reading your log! Out of curiosity, what weight class(es) do you compete in?

glad to have you here!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    thank you guys. I competed fat 308 class (heaviest I been day of meet is 301) I am about 310 right now

Wannabebig Member
    well....here we go

Sunday 8/31/2008

Shoulder horn 3x15
    Reverse hyper 2x15
    lat pulldowns 3x10

Reverse band bench (strong bands)
    barx10
    135x10
    225x5
    315x3
    405x3
    455x3
    495x1
    515x1
    535x1
    I think I had a bit more but I stopped there.Don't want to push it.

JM press (light)
    135 3x10
    185 3x10

Front dumbell raise 3x12
    lat pulldowns 3x10
    Hammer curls 3x20
    Shoulder horn 2x10

Wannabebig Member
    been trying to post some links to some videos and the board won't allow till I post 10 post......disregard the next few post...trying to get my count up

Wannabebig Member

test

Wannabebig Member
    test again

Wannabebig Member
    one more

Wannabebig Member
    this should do it

do you ever have spotters to work with?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Love the Name, I feel for you training in the Shirt Alone. It Sucks.

did some at EFS do an interview about you? I am not sure if it was you or someone else. Either way it was a great read. Nice workouts .

Wannabebig Member
    Travis:

No. I don't have spoters. Not to sound like a dick but I had a few people visit the bloody lawn gym but they were not invited back. They just did not have it. To be fair there has been a couple of guys that made the cut but moved away or their job (or my job) schedule conflicted. I had some guys come in that had zero comittment.

Believe me I know the value of great training partners. Wish I had them. There is a local group called Raging Inferno and they are good guys. I have visit them a few times.Good people.

Big Money:

Yes. EFS an an interview: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/nico_feliciano.htm

Yeah, you might want to look into working with some other training partners more often. Reason being, training by yourself will really limit your ability to tweak your shirt and handouts will really save your shoulders.

I understand about the training partners, but I eventually got to to the point where I didn't really care if someone was super motivated. So long as they were there once a week to give me handouts and spot me, I was happy with that.

Your form looks pretty good, tuck those elbows a little bit more and you should be able to touch pretty good. I can touch 585lbs in my shirt and hit 700 pretty easy and my shirt isn't very tight at all.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    hear you loud and clear. Problem with most guys is that they would not show up at all or show up late. Yep, you are right on with the elbows. I need to practice that more. I have never been able to touch with that shirt and the elbows not being all the way in is the reason. Good eye Travis. Sebastian Burns, whom I credit highly for getting me past 500+ in the bench always tells me the same. I pride myself in being able to touch "light weight" with the shirt.....I just have not tamed this specific beast. This shirt and my Katana are unreal. Thanks for your input. I truly appreciate it

Wannabebig Member
    Sq/dl 9.1.2008

Box sq
    135x5
    225x3
    315x3
    add loose briefs,belt and foam
    405x2
    455 5x2
    knee level pin pulls Been about 2 years since I have done these
    225x5
    315x3
    405x1
    495x1
    585x1
    605x1
    RH 3x15
    band leg curls 2x15

Wannabebig Member
    Bench 9.3.2008

bench to foam pads
    405 6x3
    Hammer curls 5x12
    Face pulls 4x10

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylawngym View Post
    hear you loud and clear. Problem with most guys is that they would not show up at all or show up late. Yep, you are right on with the elbows. I need to practice that more. I have never been able to touch with that shirt and the elbows not being all the way in is the reason. Good eye Travis. Sebastian Burns, whom I credit highly for getting me past 500+ in the bench always tells me the same. I pride myself in being able to touch "light weight" with the shirt.....I just have not tamed this specific beast. This shirt and my Katana are unreal. Thanks for your input. I truly appreciate it
    No problem man!

Part of your problem with tucking your elbows though stems from a lack of a handoff. You can't get into proper position before you take it out of the rack because you have to push so hard to get the weight up. Once you have the weight out in your hands in front of you, its too difficult to get your shoulder blades back pinched together and set the weight on your lats. I think once you get some handouts you'll be golden

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, I used to set up with shoulders pinched together but unracking, I forced my shoulders back up and going back to position was hard. In fact, that is probably the reason for the injury.

I have a kick butt home set up as well, but I still drive 1hr each way to Westside each week because the benefit of handouts, good coaching and quality workout partners far outweighs the benefit of staying home

Might want to find a barbell club around where you can do your heavy benching. I think you'd really be surprised how quickly your bench went up

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Hey guys... Tucking the elbows? I watched the clips again and still not sure what I'm seeing. Do elbows need to be closer to your sides?
    Last edited by 40 Nunc; 09-03-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    yes. In order to touch. 700 should touch. granted, the shirt is bad asss and all but truth is 700 or less should touch with proper leverage, alignment etc. Unracking the weight myself raises my shoulders back out from pinched shoulder blades. having the shoulders blades together pisitions one well for the rest of the execution as well shortening the groove.

Yes, with proper set up and handoff I have no doubt I can work up to a 750 bench and maybe more. I know it sounds like an excuse but at my present situation (Work,family, etc) it would be hard for me to travel to a gym with spotters etc. I just hope a good partner shows up at the BLG and be flex enough to put up with my schedule

Wannabebig Member
    sq 9/8/2008

worked up to 365 3x6 and stopped. Feel like ****....got the flu