I’ve been thinking about doing this for a while and today I finally decided to start (and keep up) a journal.

So here is my background in a nutshell.

My training has been on and off ever since I started training about 10 years ago. Between the ages of 20-25 I always struggled with the balance of being healthy and partying and I am pretty sure you can guess which one tended to win. Between the ages of 25-30 I started to get much more serious about my professional life and put long hours into my job and AtLarge Nutrition and as a result my training and eating has always been inconsistent.

I don’t have the best genetics. I tend to naturally be below the average when it comes to strength and I hold onto fat easily. Essentially this means I have to work my ass off and get my eating habits in check to make progress and honestly that just hasn’t happened consistently… well… ever…

Ok, enough of the sob story… I’m not here for sympathy and I know there’s no one else that can make this happen other than me. I’m here for support and encouragement mainly, aswell as training and nutrition pointers along the way

Where I am at now

I’m currently about 200bs, probably about 18% body fat and definitely below average on the strength front.

The best thing I ever did training wise was to go to a local gym called Core Cambridge These guys are first class and know their stuff. They are basically a crossfit type of gym.You can only go there for 121 personal training, so there is no normal gym membership, but that’s what makes it so special. It’s not crowded with idiots – normally only 6-8 people at any one time - just good coaches and people who are serious about bettering themselves.

I’ve been with them for 5 months now. The first 2 months were great, but in December, January and some of February I have had some personal problems which meant I lost focus and didn’t get the most out of it. However for the last four weeks I have been going 3 times per week consistently.
We’ve just switched what I am doing. I was doing a mixture of strength training, EDT training and random circuit stuff. I hate it, but know it is good for me. After 4 or 5 weeks of this, we’re now switching to something different.

It’s basically 5 exercises per workout, the first one for 5 sets and finishing with 1 set on the last one. The rep range is either 6 or 15 depending on the exercise. I’ve only done 2 sessions of this so far, but I really think the volume mixed with the compound movements is going to get me stronger and leaner for sure.

My goals

I used to get really caught up on writing really specific goals for each month and most of the time I would be far too optimistic and fail. Don’t get me wrong, there is a time and place for specific goals, but I think it’s best for me to just work really hard and do the right things and I am confident things will go in the right direction.

My broad goals are to get stronger, leaner and fitter. To train hard a minimum of three days per week and to eat clean 5 days out of the 7, the other 2 being more relaxed (i.e. not pigging out). That’s really about it for now. I can put some more specific strength and physique goals in later, for now I just have to make this the right priority in my life and make each week count to build consistency.

Gone are the days where I just cared about size and bulking. I want to be lean and I want to be healthy. That’s why I was drawn towards crossfit type stuff and my main inspiration was Antony who used to be a mod on the forums and a regular contributor. He drifted away from the forums because his life got very busy, but we still stay in touch and I’ve been so inspired by his progress. He now runs Crossfit Frederiction and here is his bio I’m going to try and tempt him back to keep an eye on my journal

Ok, that’s enough for now, Later I will post my Tuesday and Thursday workouts this week.