Saw this on a chef board I frequent, and thought it was fun:

For me...

1) A Very good Knife (or 2):

A good knife should be priority #1 in any good cooks kitchen, I use 2 with high regularity, one is an 7" Santoku (Wusthof) and the other is an 8" Chef's knife. I keep both of mine razor shard with a good stone, and always hand wash em. These are something you shouldnt skimp on... Spend the money and buy QUALITY

2) Cast Iron Cookware

This stuff gets very little press lately in todays "Non-Stick Kitchen", but you find me a more versatile, well cooking pan, then a well seasoned cast iron skillet and I'll question your cooking abilities...

I was very fortunate to inherit most of my grandmothers cast-iron cookware collection, some of which is almost 100 years old and only getting better with age...

3) Wok

Again... Versatility, Versatility, Versatility.... This is a TRUE do everything piece of cookware...

4) Grill

I use a Charbroil Commercial Series, like the one pictured above (mine is the 6 burner, not the 5 however) Most grill purists scoff at gas grills, but you cant beat them for convenience. Mine is going 3-5 times a week without fail...

5) Smoker

I know this isnt a normal kitchen tool, but my kitchen wouldnt be complete without it. Every Saturday and Sunday Rain or Shine...

And besides BBQ is a great unused piece of diet strategy for BB'ers and PL'ers alike...