Thread: Need some guidance to lifting....Opinions and experience needed....

Rookie weight lifter....

Need some guidance to lifting....Opinions and experience needed....

Hey guys, I am new here...I just joined today....The main reason I joined was so I could get some info on lifting....I haven't worked out since high school and I will be 24 next month....

Here is a little about me now....

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 253

I am wanting to gain mass muscle....I have goals I want to meet, and they may be rediculous goals, but I have set high goals....I want to be benching over 300 by the end of this year...But, for the time being, I would like to get in better shape by July, (vacation time).....

Here is the workout plan I go by....

Monday: Chest and Tri's
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Biceps and forearms
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Back and shoulders
    Saturday: I use this day incase I missed something through the week, or if I want to double up on something.....(usually bi's and tri's)
    Sunday: off day

I am also taking GNC Amplified Creatine 189 about an hour before workout, and mixing 100% Whey protein shakes immediately after workouts.....

I am open to anything guys that I need to know...I have a crappy diet at the moment, just not sure what I need to lift and what I need to eat...

I started back in the gym 3 weeks ago, I have been doing light weight and lots of reps to get my form back, is this the right thing to do?? If so, when should I start going up in weight? and how much?

Any info is helpful guys...sorry for the long post, I am lost on this stuff...

Thanks,
    Chris

Rookie weight lifter....
    ttt...

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    That's a pretty crappy routine. Only one day of legs when you have an entire day devoted to biceps and forearms is ridiculous.

Read up on the forums, they have all the info you need to get started.

Read Starting Strength and look into the routine in the book as well as BGB and WBB 1.1.

A crappy diet is gonna give you crappy results. Get that in check as well if you want results.

Like I said, all your questions are answered in the stickies. Just read them. All.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris06GT View Post
    Hey guys, I am new here...I just joined today....The main reason I joined was so I could get some info on lifting....I haven't worked out since high school and I will be 24 next month....

Here is a little about me now....

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 253

I am wanting to gain mass muscle....I have goals I want to meet, and they may be rediculous goals, but I have set high goals....I want to be benching over 300 by the end of this year...But, for the time being, I would like to get in better shape by July, (vacation time).....

Here is the workout plan I go by....

Monday: Chest and Tri's
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Biceps and forearms
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Back and shoulders
    Saturday: I use this day incase I missed something through the week, or if I want to double up on something.....(usually bi's and tri's)
    Sunday: off day

I am also taking GNC Amplified Creatine 189 about an hour before workout, and mixing 100% Whey protein shakes immediately after workouts.....

I am open to anything guys that I need to know...I have a crappy diet at the moment, just not sure what I need to lift and what I need to eat...

I started back in the gym 3 weeks ago, I have been doing light weight and lots of reps to get my form back, is this the right thing to do?? If so, when should I start going up in weight? and how much?

Any info is helpful guys...sorry for the long post, I am lost on this stuff...

Thanks,
    Chris

Okay so your goals are to (a) get in better shape overall and (b) bench 300 by year's end?

Right then. Let's start with your workout. It's bad. Not a flame just stating the facts. I'll explain why throughout the rest of this post.

Legs, back and chest comprise the majority of the muscle on the body. Arms are a very small muscle group by comparison so why spend more time on them? If you want to gain muscle it makes sense to work those areas with the most muscle on them to begin with as you will see gains faster.
    Also if you want to bench more, doubling up on your biceps and triceps will not help all that much.

I'd do this.

Monday (Chest and Back)

Bench press
    Bent Row
    Dip
    Seated Row

Tuesday

Squat
    SLD
    Leg press
    Lunge

Wednesday

Rest

Thursday (Back and Chest

Deadlift
    Bench press
    OH Press

Friday (see Tuesday)

Saturday and Sunday

Rest days...go out and enjoy yourself on these days...no lifting though

As for your diet:

You should be shooting for 1 gram of protein per pound of your target bodyweight. Good protein sources are: skinless chicken breasts. tuna packed in water, lean beef and protein powders.

As to the rest of your diet you need enough carbs to give you energy and enough healthy fats to...well stay healthy. For more information I suggest checking out the diet forum..lots of good info there.

For any routine to work, be aware that you MUST be consistent. Not only must you train hard and eat good food, you also must get plenty of rest. If any of these three are missing, or you are not consistent, you will not see the gains you want.

As to making gains hard work is essential. This doesn't mean that you should rush out and start doing 1RM work. It does mean that at some point you are going to have to start sweating, grunting and groaning under the bar. You've got the right idea by starting light and learning form. But once you are comfortable, increase the weight. Progression is best measured by weight on the bar, although that is not the only form of progression...just the most measurable.

I also advise starting an internet journal...there's a section for them on this website so you can post in there and get feedback on your training, diet and so on.

Well this post is getting long and I don't want to write a book, so I'll end it here. and do check out some of the stickies...there's some good info there as well. Feel free to post afterwards if you are still confused..there are some intelligent members who can help you out.

Oh and welcome to WBB!
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 03-17-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Rookie weight lifter....
    Thanks for the info guys!!! I'll get to reading the Stickies.....

Rookie weight lifter....
    Once I am comfortable with my form, I am curious to how much weight I should go up, and how often.....

Also, how many reps should I be doing? Is a pyramid good to do, or just a set number?

No pain, no gain!
    I had a really crappy diet and no workout plan a couple of months ago. One day I decided to start eating healthy and working out hard again. This is what I eat every day: 2 eggs, 300 grams of oats, 150 grams of proteins, C-vitamin, Magnesium, Omega-3, Chicken, rice, salad, fruit, bread and LOADS of nuts (almonds and hazelnuts... around 300 grams every day). Works like a dream for me.

One big achievement for me has been going from benching 200 lbs max to reaching 230... in TWO months. I am satisfied. Another proof that food is close to everything. If you're eating crap, you ARE crap, and your TRAINING will be crap. If you eat like a hero, you will be a hero in the gym. As simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris06GT View Post
    Once I am comfortable with my form, I am curious to how much weight I should go up, and how often.....

Also, how many reps should I be doing? Is a pyramid good to do, or just a set number?
    Once you are comfortable (don't spend weeks on this), you should go up to as high as you can, but still being able to complete the set/reps designated in the routine you choose. also, increase the weights whenever you feel its too light, but not halfway through a working set.
    also, most people don't like to pyramid, unless they're WARM-UP SETS. start with low weights (you'll read all this in Starting Strength, which you should buy), increase weights every set, until you get to your working sets. those should be the heaviest, and shouldn't be changed. remember though, your warm-up sets are for warm-up, they shouldnt be a weight that will fatigue you, and affect your working sets.

Please just take one! MadScientist's Avatar
    Go to failure and switch it up so you are failing at 3-10 reps
    3-5 will affect strength to a greater degree
    8-10 will affect mass to a greater degree

Just keep pushing the weight up.

Work out 2 days on 1 day off. Hit 20-30 sets each workout. Take 3-4 workouts to complete your full body (3 if you can).

Eat lean, eat lots, eat more, add water, and grow!