Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality fast food

Wannabebig Member

Quality fast food

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Anyway, I'm looking for fast food, preferably cheap but not required, that gets you your needed nutrients and is not overly fat. I'm not some health freak worrying about my every gram of trans fat ingested, but a Baconator (as delicious as it is) is not what I'm looking for.

Cheers.

Banned
    Sandwich shops? Delis?

Depends what you mean exactly... If you don't mind paying slightly more then decent delis will make good quality sandwiches pretty quickly. So its fast. And its food. Bit healthier too if you go for loads of salad and get wholemeal bread.

Banned
    Mcgangbang. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I like Subway or sandwich places like it.

I know someone will take exception and say "Subway sucks, go to ________ instead". Those people can chug nuts.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post

I know someone will take exception and say "Subway sucks, go to ________ instead". Those people can chug nuts.
    I swear subway has got worse. Like maybe 3-4 years ago they were awesome and then something happened. I think the meat quality got worse. Maybe I just ate too many but there came a time last year when I just couldn't eat at subway anymore. The dream was over.

Wannabebig Member
    What do people think of Penn Station? Yay or nay?

Im with him! ^^ when i still was employed before my company practically shut down, i ate at subway all the time. They have all fo their nutritional infoon their website. You might try the book called "Eat This Not That" by the editor of mens health magazine. Its got lots of good comparisons in it,, i found it helpful being a traveling service engineer and eating out alot.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Subway is reasonably priced, and have enough variability in their ingredients that you can switch up your sandwiches if you get sick of one.
    I also like Quizno's now that their large subs don't cost over $10.

I don't know if you have them in your area, but I absolutely love Jimmy John's, their whole wheat bread is absolutely incredible. Unfortunately we only have Jimmy John's underachieving brother, Milio's (literally), where I live.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I swear subway has got worse. Like maybe 3-4 years ago they were awesome and then something happened. I think the meat quality got worse. Maybe I just ate too many but there came a time last year when I just couldn't eat at subway anymore. The dream was over.
    That was why I mentioned the "places like it". I notice a huge difference just between individual stores. I've got 6 of them within a 10 mile radius and one of them is excellent, two of them suck, and the other 3 are just ok.

I do really dig Jimmy John's. There's one of those real close. Maybe I should go there tonight...

Wendy's Chili is pretty good, they have all of their nutrition facts listed on the website if you are interested. The grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo is not bad either - I cut the patty in half and only use one bun instead of both.

A lot of sub shops have healthy wraps or sandwiches as options as well.

When I was bodybuilding I would eat steamed chicken with broccoli from Chinese Food places, sometimes with a light sauce on the side to use for dipping if I was not being completely strict.

Many Mexican Food places offer a "burrito bowl" which can be made healthy as long as you pick the right ingredients.

Recently I have seen more and more "healthy alternatives" popping up at fast food places...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

McDonald's has some pretty healthy stuff: grilled chicken sandwich, grilled snack wraps, specialty salads w/ grilled chicken, Double Quarter Pounder .
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Banned
    Chipotle, get the burrito bowl... Fairly clean for fast food

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    A lot of sub shops have healthy wraps or sandwiches as options as well.
    I was checking Subway's site a few weeks ago and I noticed that the wraps actually had higher amounts of carbs, fat and sodium, exactly the opposite of what I would have expected.

Today's lunch, a Subway 6" Turkey Breast, double meat, no cheese.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been led to believe Dairy Queen is fairly healthy compared to McDonalds and BK. This could be true, but I would't bet on it.

- Greg Lumis

my problem with quiznos is that they heat the meat on their subs with nasty boiling water.... take a close look at their prep area next time you get a hot chicken sandwich

also, when subway has the $5 footlongs, you can get a footlong sub with double meat and double cheese for like $9

Quote Originally Posted by liftingislife View Post
    I've been led to believe Dairy Queen is fairly healthy compared to McDonalds and BK. This could be true, but I would't bet on it.

- Greg Lumis
    It'd be easy enough to check on the company's websites.

I wouldn't bet on it either.

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Here on the west coast we have In-N-Out Burger. Everything is made to order from fresh ingredients. I usually get me a Double Double (double meat, double cheese) "protein style" (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun). I don't eat fries or soft drinks, so no problem there.

El Pollo Loco is good to. All their nutritional info is listed on their website. Very easy to make good choices there.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

For the people in the South East we have what's called Cook-Out mostly all the burgers and chicken sandwhiches are cooked on a charcoal grill. I get a grilled chicken sandwhich and drink from there daily for around 4 dollars. If not move to NC and go to bojangles, buffalo chicken bites and rice.
    January 07-164 pounds
    *Bulking*
    Deccember 07 - 225 pounds

June 08 - 205
    *Currently Cutting*
    Goal-190

November 08-238 pounds
    *Bulking till January 1st*

Quote Originally Posted by liftingislife View Post

- Greg Lumis
    Not entirely true. Check out this link...top 272 most calorie dense fast food items. Interesting stuff. Funny enough, DQ, White Castle, Jack In The Box, and Sonic lead the list for highest amount of items.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/fast-food-calories.php
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Yeah, I also agree with the guy who said Subway isn't so great anymore. They've really gotten bland. Can't stand their sandwiches anymore, and I dont know why. I'd usually order a melted cheese steak sub with all the veggies and it'd be terrible. Or a tuna. Same deal. And I love how they keep bragging about their "5 dollar.. 5 dollar FOOTLONGS," like 5 bucks is so cheap. **** that ****. We're living in a 2nd Depression. Drop it down to 1.. 1 dollar footlong. Or at least $2, then maybe I'd buy their bland ass sammiches.

In any case, you can usually get bitchin' sandwiches at local grocery store deli's where they make it fresh in front of you. Safeway for one.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    Here on the west coast we have In-N-Out Burger. Everything is made to order from fresh ingredients. I usually get me a Double Double (double meat, double cheese) "protein style" (wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun). I don't eat fries or soft drinks, so no problem there.

El Pollo Loco is good to. All their nutritional info is listed on their website. Very easy to make good choices there.
    And when you are wanting to cheat, you can help yourself to animal fries and and neopolitan shake
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Go to a local shawarma place!!

For 5 bucks or less...

1) A good amount of chicken (heated on a skewer, not fried)
    2) Pita (can get whole wheat if you want)
    3) Hummus (a mixture of olive/vegetable oil with ground chickpeas... great source of good fats and protein... I ask for extra!)
    4) Vegetables (cant go wrong)
    5) Tehina (A liquid composed of ground sesame, water, garlic, spices... Cant go wrong here)

I will second shawarma, but it depends on the city. I have still yet to find a decent shawarma outside of Ottawa.

Also I have been hooked on Moes southwest grill. Same price as subway, but you get way more/ way better quality food. I had the burrito with double meat the other day. It was amazing. The chicken was real, not that weird pre-formed stuff, and the beef was like actual pieces of steak. I also got rice and two kinds of beans on it. the thing was the size of a football when it was done. With a drink and fresh chips and guacamole it was about 10 bucks. I'm hungry just thinking about it.
    Last edited by danmac; 03-22-2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Banned
    What's not to like about the Baconator???

Banned

I heard somwhere that their meatball sub alone has 100%+ of your RDA of salt. Still good though, I guess they just want you to buy their soda.