The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Leg Press: Huge drop in ability

For the last 3 months, I've been consistent with a weight-lifting regiment in order to help me loose weight and get fit; so far I've been following a book's training plan, which ensures that I have enough variability in my routine; essentially I lift weights three times a week and do aerobic exercise (stationary bike) 3-4 times a week (different days). Anyway, I've been making progress both loosing weight and increasing the amount I can lift.

As of 2 weeks ago, I was doing 375 on the leg press. Then I took a week off from weight lifting (following the handbook). Today, I couldn't push the leg press in position above 310. This is a bit disturbing to me because it's a huge drop. But when I did leg extensions and leg curls, I didn't have any decrease in ability (170 and 120 respectively).

The reason why this concerns me is I am still keeping my calorie intake low (1500-1700) and increasing the amount of exercise; recently, I just started jogging. At 5 feet 11 inches, I am about 190 pounds. A year ago, I was about 275. While I certainly don't starve myself (one reason I decided to exercise instead of lowering calorie intake to untolerable low amounts), I am worry I might actually be loosing muscle mass with the fat I am burning off.

Should I be concern about loosing muscle mass?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post
    For the last 3 months, I've been consistent with a weight-lifting regiment in order to help me loose weight and get fit; so far I've been following a book's training plan, which ensures that I have enough variability in my routine; essentially I lift weights three times a week and do aerobic exercise (stationary bike) 3-4 times a week (different days). Anyway, I've been making progress both loosing weight and increasing the amount I can lift.

As of 2 weeks ago, I was doing 375 on the leg press. Then I took a week off from weight lifting (following the handbook). Today, I couldn't push the leg press in position above 310. This is a bit disturbing to me because it's a huge drop. But when I did leg extensions and leg curls, I didn't have any decrease in ability (170 and 120 respectively).

The reason why this concerns me is I am still keeping my calorie intake low (1500-1700) and increasing the amount of exercise; recently, I just started jogging. At 5 feet 11 inches, I am about 190 pounds. A year ago, I was about 275. While I certainly don't starve myself (one reason I decided to exercise instead of lowering calorie intake to untolerable low amounts), I am worry I might actually be loosing muscle mass with the fat I am burning off.

With a decrease in weight, you're usually going to have a decrease in strength too

*sigh*

I don't think a 60lb drop in the leg press is anything to be too concerned about... Especially since it was ONE DAY.

The endless bulk and cut threads just get to me... I know we all want to "look good nekkid" AND be strong as hell, but we aren't going to be able to make linear gains all the time in everything. Some goals are just NOT complimentary.

Sorry for the rant - it's not really directed at you.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Strength should return as you get back into the routine from being off for a week.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlyBird View Post

I think everyone has had one/many of those days.
    Sometimes I've gone to the gym, only to find I am unable to lift as much weight as usual. A day later I can lift just fine.
    If you are on a cut right now, your body is probably still adjusting to your caloric deficit, and that would be a reason why you are feeling weaker.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs