5x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)

Press
    1x5 @ 55kg(120lbs)

Snatch Grip RDL's
    3x8 @ 60kg(135lbs)

Weighted Dips
    3x5 @ BW+5kg

Planks
    3x30 seconds (9kg Med Ball on back for first two sets)

-I was not expecting a lot from this training session, I got 3.5 hours sleep the night before and then spent approximately 8 hours digging ditches and pouring concrete at work. I was pleasantly surprised

-Squats were good, the last two sets were quite hard but I got them out alright.

-Press was a 5RM, I may leave it at this weight / reps next week.

-RDL's were good, trying to focus on driving the hips back and feeling it in my hamstrings.

-Dips were good, only slight discomfort around right trap near lockout.

-Planks were hard and good.

-I've begun tracking my hours of sleep, my food intake and my weight every morning in order to get more feedback on what is and isn't working and why.
    Gratz on the 100kg 5x5 Not too bad considering you were digging footings and pouring concrete all day ay? Haha been there, done that

Good job tom.

Week 3
    Wednesday

Front Squats
    3x3 @ 80kg(175lbs)

Pullups
    10, 8, 5

Pushups
    20, 16, 10

Hang Power Cleans
    3 x 40kg(95lbs)
    3 x 50kg(110lbs)
    3 x 60kg(135lbs)

Inverted Row
    3 x 8

Planks
    3 x 30 seconds (9kg Med Ball on back for first two sets)

-Weight will need to be kept the same for Front Squats next week. I was having issues staying upright/keeping it on my shoulders and depth is still iffy as well.

-I was unhappy with my performance on pullups today, I've decided that I'll do Pullups & Inverted Rows on a Wednesday and Bent or T-Bar Rows on a Friday as I think the 3 sets of pulling movements I had programmed didn't really equal to the amount of pushing I am doing.

-I died in the arse on the last set of pushups, my triceps were getting TANKED so maybe I need to take a slightly wider grip... or get stronger triceps. I may cut these off at 3x15 and start working different variants (weighted, one leg raised and such).

-Hang Power Cleans were done just to fool around, kept it light as my left wrist has been giving me trouble the last few weeks, hurts whenever I extend my hand backwards (e.g. when doing a pushup).

-Rows & Planks were somewhat supersetted. Rows are being thrown in to help back strength and also try and improve gymnastic abilities slightly.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Week 3
    Friday

Squats
    1x5 @ 110kg(242lbs)

Bench Press
    1x5 @ 75kg(165lbs)
    1x5 @ 77.5kg(170lbs)
    1x5 @ 80kg(175lbs)

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 135kg(295lbs)
    1x2 @ 135kg(295lbs)

Press
    3x5 @ 50kg(110lbs)

-Squats were good, I'll throw up a video of myself soon for a form/depth check and all that jazz. This was a new 5RM and it felt like it :P First three reps were good, last 2 where haaaaaard.

-I've managed to rig up an awesome ghetto bench press in the gym! It's not perfect but it'll do for now. I was trying to work out a new 5RM, 80kg seems to be about it, I may have been able to get 82.5kg but with no spotters I didn't feel like getting pinned.

-Deadlifts felt a bit iffy. My back was solid throughout which I was happy about but I felt like too much weight was on my toes. I did my work set of 5 and then took my shoes off (I've been pulling in weightlifting shoes) and pulled 2 barefoot. These felt better so I may start pulling in flat shoes again to try and get more drive from my posterior chain.

-Press was pretty hard, I imagine I was a bit fatigued from Bench Press though. All good, got the reps and am getting stronger all the time!
    Last edited by tomv; 09-25-2009 at 07:56 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Week 4
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 102.5kg(225lbs)

Press
    1x2 @ 57.5kg(125lbs) supersetted with
    1x10 @ 40kg(95lbs)

Snatch Grip RDL's
    3x8 @ 62.5kg(137.5lbs)

Weighted Ring Dips
    3x5 @ BW+8kg

One Arm KB Row
    2x10 (each arm) @ 24kg(53lbs)

Planks
    3x30 seconds (12kg KB on back for all 3 sets)

-Squats felt good, challenging but I felt I maintained good form throughout. I'm still slightly iffy about depth so I will have to throw up a video.

-Press was simply a test, I may attempt to do 3 reps at 57.5kg next week and superset with 40kg or drop back to 55kg and go for as many reps as possible.

-RDL's felt good, felt plenty of stretch and the hamstrings.

-Dips were ok, still some slight discomfort in my right arm, in the top portion of the movement (concentric phase).

-KB Rows thrown in as I want to try strengthen my back and get a bit more Rowing in the program.

-Planks were good, 12kg is challenging.

-I'm worried this may be a bit too much volume and I'm trying to do too many things at once... I will keep this up for 2 weeks and see how I go and if necessary start removing some exercises.
    Last edited by tomv; 09-28-2009 at 03:57 AM.
    My Journal

Video

1x5 @ 110kg(242lbs) from last friday.
    My Journal

LuNa
    That looked pretty good Tom. The last one was a grinder, wow! Do you feel extreme stiffness or soreness in your lower back?

Very,very impressive squatting. Depth was great. Knees did not sway forward. Back was straight. Everything was great. Keep up the work.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

No soreness in my back whatsoever Luna.

Thanks Shark .
    My Journal

form looked awesome and good job on the 110KG.

Not so sure about the shorts though lol
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Week 4
    Wednesday

Front Squats
    3,2,3 @ 80kg(175lbs)

Chinups
    1xBW+20kg(45lbs)
    1xBW+24kg(53lbs)
    5xBW+12kg(25lbs)
    3xBW+12kg(25lbs)

Pushups
    3x15

-A short session tonight, I'm going to a gymnastics class tomorrow night and got told by my mate that I'd be plenty challenged by that so I didn't feel the need to push it too much.

-Front squats were alright, still some pain in my wrist and difficulty in staying upright and getting full depth. I'll throw up a video soon for comments on it. Dropped the bar on the 2nd set because I wasn't focusing.

-Just messed around with chinups today, other people in the gym were going for max weighted chinups and I thought I'd give it a shot. I failed on 27kg and 28kg as well, sort of dissappointed that it hasn't gone up but I haven't been doing a lot of chinup work I guess... I may start doing 3x5-3x8 weighted chinups starting with around 5kg.

-Decided to try 3x15 pushups, then maybe 3x16 next week up to 3x20.
    Last edited by tomv; 09-30-2009 at 04:35 AM.
    My Journal

Impressive weighted chins tom!

Also great vid on your squats, good depth!!

Weighted chin-ups? I do ASSISTED chin-ups.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Week 4
    Thursday

This wasn't a regular session, I was fooling around at a gymnastics gym. Fooling around probably aren't the right words, perhaps humiliated?

Floor Exercises
    Forward Rolls
    Handstand to Forward Roll down a wedge

Rings
    Inversions
    Attempted some tuck holds for lever training

Parallel Bars
    Swinging
    Walking on hands along the bar

Tramp in to Foam Pit
    NOW THIS IS FUN
    Front Flip
    Attempted Back Flip
    Belly Flop

- Core and arms really challenged by the stuff on the parallel bars.
    - I may keep this once a week/fortnight as I do enjoy fooling around like this and I think it's a good way to keep the body limber beyond barbell training.
    - I have a pain in my left wrist that I need to sort out and get rid of. Whenever it's bent backwards to even 90 degrees and weight is applied, there's a dull ache which rapidly intensifies with added force. Think the hand position of a pushup, this causes me a lot of pain and is quite annoying.
    Last edited by tomv; 10-03-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    My Journal

Week 4
    Saturday

Trained at my mate Damo's Gym in Milperra. Big thanks to the boys there, all good guys and bloody funny.

Squats
    Cambered bar with Strong Bands (from westside), down to a Milk Crate!
    5 x Bar
    5 x 60kg(135lbs)
    5 x 100kg(220lbs)
    2 x 120kg(265lbs)

Plain Ole Straight Bar Squats. No Bands, No Box.
    5 x Bar
    4 x 60kg(135lbs)
    3 x 100kg(220lbs)
    1 x 120kg(265lbs)
    1 x 130kg(285lbs) PR!
    1 x 135kg(295lbs) Better PR!

Deadlift
    5 x 60kg(135lbs)
    5 x 100kg(220lbs)
    3 x 140kg(315lbs)
    5 x 100kg(220lbs)
    3 x 140kg(315lbs)

Bench
    3 x 5 @ 80kg(175lbs)

1 Arm DB Rows
    2 x 10 @ 27.5kg(60lbs)
    1 x 15 @ 20kg(45lbs)

Wide Grip Pullups
    5, 5, 4

- Cambered bar squats with all the additional jazz was done just as a warmup and to fool around with equipment I don't normally have access too. Bands are fun, crazy tension at the top and with the walkout haha.

- Happy with my squat PR, had people watching on depth who said it was good.

- I suck at deadlifting. It's driving me crazy. I don't feel like I can stay tight and I think it is more an issue with my setup then strength. But what do I know?

- Bench was good, I may start benching twice a week and just do ring dips on wednesday as light, high rep work.

- First time doing wide grip pullups, interesting how much harder they are.

- Post training meal at Hungry Jacks haha. I don't normally eat fast food but I was happy with my PR and figured I'd treat myself.
    My Journal

Nice PRs man. Looks like you're getting stronger!

So how have you been, how's life treating you? Thanks for the comments on youtube, too

Cheers MPB, just trying to chase your beastly self haha. I'll be happy when I can Squat your Bench PR ;-).

Life's good mate, work is physically tough but mentally easy, school is cruisy (though I should probably be putting in a bit more effort), gym is good, girl is good so that pretty much makes me a happy man. What about yourself?
    My Journal

Well, my life is boring. I'm looking for a job so I can pay for school. No such luck yet, though. That leaves me with lots of time which I can use to focus on my workout.

Week 5
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 107.5kg(235lbs)

Press
    2x2 @ 57.5kg(125lbs)
    1x12 @ 40kg(95lbs)

Snatch Grip RDL's
    3x8 @ 65kg

Walking Lunge
    *Holding a 20kg Plate Overhead*
    A total of 200m in about 5-8 minutes

Planks
    3x30 Seconds (16kg KB on lower back)

1 Arm Rows
    2x15 @ 24kg

- Squats were good, I jumped 5kg instead of 2.5kg this week. I was feeling strong and I think I was hitting the right depth though my lower back was a bit sore in the earlier sets which may be something to be mindful of. I know I have a certain degree of tail tuck at times and I may not have warmed up adequately before the session or just need to put more effort in to stretching again.

- Press has stalled a little, I may drop back down to 55kg next week and try pump out as many reps as possible and then wait a week or two before going back up to 57.5kg

- Snatch Grip RDL's felt great, I really feel a stretch in the hamstring as I go down and I'm trying to be mindful that I extend at the hips to bring the weight back up.

- The Lunge wasn't programmed but I was yelling at a few guys doing a WOD and one of them told me to shut up or pick up a plate. So... I picked up a plate. Tanked my shoulders and legs.

- Planks were good, quite challenging with this weight so I will probably stop advancing weight for a little while and make sure I'm still doing the exercise correctly (with my abs and not my lower back tendons :P).

- 1 Arm Row was nothing special, I'll probably do it till I can get a set of 20 good reps and then maybe try move to something heavier.
    My Journal

Week 5
    Wednesday

Overhead Squat
    3 x 5 @ 55kg(120lbs)

Deadlift
    3x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)

Pushups
    3x17

Pullups (palms out)
    7, 6, 5

Planks
    3x30 Seconds (16kg KB on lower back)

- OH Squats were done as a substitute for Front Squats. I haven't done them in a while, I have wicked DOMS from the Lunges on Monday and I figure it's only meant to be a light exercise anyway.

- Deadlifts were done to try and work on my form more. I felt my form was alright during the lift but I need to focus when I set up. I worry so much about pulling correctly I don't set up right which puts me in all the wrong positions anyway. Shoulders back, Shoulder blades down and tight and pack down hard... This is what I should be saying / doing.

- Pushups were pretty easy, had some decent breaks in between though as I was helping spot a few people in the gym. Say 5 minutes.

- I'm probably going to alternate hand positioning in my pullups, just for variation. As I was doing pullups tonight I was noticing a dull pain in the back of my left shoulder, not sure what this could mean but maybe some kind of rotator cuff issue?

- Planks were alright, still challenging.

- Post training meal of a heap of Chinese food at dinner with a friend. Spicy pork, honey chicken, lemon chicken, BBQ Pork, steamed rice. I ate a lot.

- As long as my weight stays under 98kg atm I'm happy. After the Matti Tikka I'd like to do a cut down to sub 90kg (say 88kg) which should hopefully take 1-2 months at the most.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Nice work Tom. Good job on going for form on the deadlift.

Chinese food!

excellent PWO meal, thats what im talking about
    2000 or bust

Week 5
    Friday

Squats
    1x5 @ 117.5kg(260lbs)

Bench
    3x5 @ 82.5kg(180lbs)

Deadlift
    4x3 @ 140kg(315lbs)

Bent Row
    2x10 @ 50kg(110lbs)

Sled Pull
    *Done up Carpark Ramp of approximately 40-50m(120-150ft)*
    40kg Sled in 20.86 seconds

Press
    3x5 @ 50kg(110lbs)

- Squats were very hard, that felt very close to my 5RM. I videotaped my set but because of the clothes I was wearing it was very hard to tell if I was hitting the right depth.

- Bench was hard, but the motivation was also strong. Training alone it runs something like "Push this up, or get pinned."

- Deadlift is ****ed. I am backing the weight back to 120kg and making 2.5kg increases until I am happy with my form. I am rounding in the middle of my back still at 140kg and I think it may be because I never progressed slowly towards it and instead simply found out one day I could pull something that heavy (without good form) and figured my back would catch up. It hasn't.

- The rest of the session was done with big gaps in between sets and exercises as I had to help run the gym. Doesn't really worry me as I got the bulk of my training out of the road and I love helping out with the sessions.

- Bent Row was done with what I thought was as strict a form as possible, I may stick to this weight again next week and aim for more reps.

- Sled Pull was lots of fun, I wouldn't mind throwing these in on a Saturday as a bit of GPP.

- Press hammered me, I felt very weak but this may have been because I was tired and also due to my earlier attempts on the bench.'

- Right so I need to be wary of my diet, getting a bit too relaxed now and I know for myself it is a slippery slope. I will allow myself to eat to recover but not chow down on junk food just because I'm being lazy.
    My Journal

The "Ghetto" Bench Set-Up.

Last edited by tomv; 10-10-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Lol, nice setup!

Video

Sled Drag from Friday's session.

My hair looks freaking ridiculous, time for a haircut haha.
    My Journal