The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Tom's take on the Texas Method

Monday
    Back Squat - 5x5
    Bench - 1x5
    Deadlift - 5RM
    1 Arm Row - 3x10-20
    Weighted Planks - 3x30seconds

Wednesday
    Front Squat - 3x3
    Press - 3x5
    Snatch Grip RDL's - 3x8
    Planks or GHD Situps

Friday
    Back Squat - 1x5
    Bench - 5x5
    Bent Row - 3x5
    Heavy Ab Work

Notes

- This routine was created because I didn't have one to follow consistently. I did initially but since then I've gotten a few injuries and changed a few things around so I was changing exercises around with no real consistency outside of the main exercises.

- I have included a fair bit of Heavy Abdominal work as this is a weakness of mine.

- When my wrist heals I may throw in an Olympic lift on Wednesdays or some Overhead Squats.

- I'll up the Squats by 2.5kg every week on both Monday & Friday. Every so often I may try make a 5kg jump.

- I need to buy microplates for the Bench & Press. Try and go up by 2.5kg but may be 1.5 or 1kg increases more often than not.

- I'll start light with deadlifts as their a problem lift for me. 130kg, adding 2.5kg a week.

- I'll be doing chinups and pushups as part of my warmup.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Just something I'd to point out to you Tom that I don't really want to say on the aussie Powerlifters forum, the IPF guys have ****ing terrible physiques - And there has been some terrible advice being flung around, some good - but some fricking terribleible. On that note, I'd really like to see you double your numbers in the next year - you have an excellent build for deadlifting, I think you could easily pull 400+ with some setup tweaks and a month or two.
    I appreciate it Risk, I also noticed that many of them don't necessarily have very impressive physiques with some exception (Odell, Nathan Jones... some others). What makes you say I've got a good build for deadlifting? I've never thought this (though I'm open to suggestion :P).

I'll also note that I don't really intend to compete in gear for a while. I want to build up as much raw strength (belt-yes, wraps-maybe) as possible first. This is more a personal goal and preference.

On that note, what advice do you not agree with? I always appreciate second opinions and "devils advocate" advice.

Also, you mentioned my bitchweak torso. Suggestions to rectify?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    I appreciate it Risk, I also noticed that many of them don't necessarily have very impressive physiques with some exception (Odell, Nathan Jones... some others). What makes you say I've got a good build for deadlifting? I've never thought this (though I'm open to suggestion :P).
    Allways a few exceptions to the rule, but Paul MacManus looks disgusting in person. As well as Mark (m.o.s.), just not a good look haha. Paul is in the 110s and mark is in the 120's, when I was at 110 I (I Think, hahahahahaha) I still looked like I was a BB - I just don't know what it is. Not saying that Paul or Marks numbers are not respectable, but their are some other things in their training/lifestyle they should really be addressing. Adam Pinkard.... Nuff said.

As far as your body type goes, you have no thorasic spine rounding, long as hell levers (legs, arms) and a relatively shortish torso. Its a deadlifters build, but your not using it to your advantage. Hell your probally making harder on yourself with how low your hips get before your initial pull, thats a damn near front sqaut.

I'll also note that I don't really intend to compete in gear for a while. I want to build up as much raw strength (belt-yes, wraps-maybe) as possible first. This is more a personal goal and preference.
    Thats completely understandable, you would have any carry over out of geat for a considerable amount of time anyway - building your RAW base is a fantasic plan.

On that note, what advice do you not agree with? I always appreciate second opinions and "devils advocate" advice.
    There is a metric ton of routine switching, under-training, and routine bastardization going on. That and no-one trains conjugated periodization because 'No IPF lifter has been succesful with it'. Errr, what about all of the USAPL lifters? Just because its not a tested Fed doesn't mean anything, just take a few hundred lbs of the total - they are still insane.

Also, you mentioned my bitchweak torso. Suggestions to rectify?
    I never mentioned your torso, or your bitchweak. Haha, I'm not even one to talk about a weak torso, I'm still learning how to get more air in mah belly.

Look, take everything that everyone says with a grain of salt Tom. IPF in aus are elitists, CAPO in australia is VERY weak. Its just stuff to think about.

Need more ab work, all that crossfit stuff has made your core lacking in thickness.
    I was a litte off with my quote but... still.

Anyway mate, thanks for that. I'll keep flogging my routine for now and physique is a very important aspect of my training. I lift to be strong and look it. Thanks for the advice, I'll try take that in to consideration with deadlifts on Friday and see how I go.
    My Journal

I was a litte off with my quote but... still.
    Oh yeah, LOL! I was talking about the actual size of your torso - not essentially a weakness, but if you add some mass around it you'll definately move more weight!

Monday
    Back Squat - 5x5
    Bench - 5x5
    Deadlift - 1x5
    Bent Row or 1 arm row- 3x5

Wednesday
    Front Squat - 3x3
    Press - 3x8
    Snatch Grip RDL's - 3x8

Friday
    Back Squat - 1x5
    Bench - 1x5
    Pendlay Row 1x5
    Heavy Ab Work

This might be closer to how Id arrange it.

Id probably go with 1 arm row because it is hard (for me) to do something like DLs then have to hold the position for BO rows.

You also dont really need the ab work, but its fun to do so thats your call.

You might think about ditching the snatch RDLs and putting the ab work there instead for the sake of your lower back and hams. Your hams and back will be toasted from the squats, DL and pendlay rows.

Anyway, thats food for thought. If I were you, Id start with less and slowly (over the course of weeks) add in some additional movements when necessary. Remember, being an intermediate and advancing revolves around recovery, recovery, recovery. This is probably how Id start out:

Monday
    Back Squat - 5x5
    Bench - 5x5
    Deadlift - 1x5

Wednesday
    Front Squat - 3x3
    Press - 3x8
    Snatch Grip RDL's - 3x8

Friday
    Back Squat - 1x5
    Bench - 1x5
    Pendlay Row 1x5

I know it looks very stripped down, but it will get hard and in my experience when I am closer to being undertrained my lifts blow up than being closer to overtrained. Would you rather be fully recovered for Volume and Intensity or still sore and tired? I know its not that black and white but its something to consider. Id hate to see you get hurt being too aggressive with volume when you have such good intentions and have clearly thought things out best you can.
    Sarvamangalam!

Holy Crap Zen! Thanks for the breakdown mate. I'll follow your advice and start with less and make sure I'm hammering the main lifts as hard as I can. I might still do heavy ab work Fridays.

I've included heavy ab work in my routine because it's a weakness of mine (identified because I wasn't able to hold myself in position properly and postural issues). I'll go with 1 Arm rows I think, I feel it really well in my back doing them.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Nice work Tom on having another look at your routine. Im pretty sure you will make great progress with a fixed routine.

Also enjoyed the discussion with Risk in here. Good stuff!

I finally found you journal...I'll have some catch-up reading to do...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Week 8
    Friday

Squats
    2x3 @ 127.5kg

Press
    3x5 @ 50kg

Deadlift
    1x5 @ 135kg

- pissed off that I didn't get my prescribed 5 reps at 127.5kg, I'll still go for 130kg next week.

- press felt really strong though I think I might have aggravated my shoulder a bit.

- deadlifts felt and apparently looked good. Thank Christ I think I'm back on track. 1x5 @ 137.5kg next Friday.

- Boris showed me how to do a bit of soft tissue work around my glutes which seemed to help a lot with warming up and hitting depth.

- thanks very much to Dr. Boris and the rest of HMPC for the help on the day.

- bought myself a longboard (skateboard not surfboard) which I was having a freaking ball messing around on. I was riding it barefoot and have discovered a new way to ensure you stay on your heels in the squat. Get massive blisters on the balls of your feet haha.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Great work Tom. 127.5kg is amazing, especially for three reps. I could barely get 125kg up.

Enjoy the longboard .

Food for thought...

Henry David Thoreau

"Let every one mind his own business, and
    endeavor to be what he was made. Why should we be in such desperate
    haste to succeed and in such desperate enterprises? If a man does not
    keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a
    different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, howe...ver
    measured or far away."

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and
    endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a
    success unexpected in common hours ... In proportion as he simplifies
    his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and
    solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness
    weakness."

"If a man walk in the woods for love of them half of each day, he is
    in danger of being regarded as a loafer; but if he spends his whole day
    as a speculator, shearing off those woods and making earth bald before
    her time, he is esteemed an industrious and enterprising citizen."
    My Journal

Nice work...except for the blisters
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Week 9
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 117.5kg(260lbs)

Deadlifts
    1x5 @ 140kg(310lbs)
    1x1 @ 160kg(350lbs)

2 Hand Kettlebell Swings
    3x8 @ 32kg(70lbs)

- I had a freaking terrible day at work, it was hot and messy as hell. I had to waterproof brick walls with a substance that resembles tar. Stuck to EVERYTHING and I had to rub a pumice stone all over my arms, legs and stomach to try and get it off. I really didn't feel like going to the gym but I read a very good post on the SquatRX blog about just getting in and doing the work, found here. I highly recommend reading it, and the other contents of the blog.

- Holy crap, Squat were HARD this week. They felt pretty ugly and quite a few were real grinders... Progression may be slowing down soon

- I was very happy with my Deadlifts tonight, I'll videotape them next time. As Big Pete advised I tried it without weightlifting shoes and found the setup a bit more comfortable. The single at 160 felt good, was more just to give it a crack then any real programmed decision.

- I was adviced to get a bit more Glute/posterior chain work in and I really like KB Swings. Gave this a go and tried to really snap the hip open. Definitely felt the glutes working, these will stay in the routine... but where?

- No pushing movements because I have a sore right shoulder and... a sore right wrist from stacking it on my new longboard. On a positive note, my left wrist feels great haha.
    My Journal

As some of you may or may not know I intend to compete in the Matti Tikka Powerlifting Challenge on the 21/22nd of November which is the weekend. This leaves me with 3 weeks (including the remainder of this week) until the competition.

I'm not really sure how or even whether I should "prep" for this competition in a way, but I was thinking of changing my programming slightly after this week.

Next week: I will probably do 3x3 Squats on Monday with a heavier weight, trying to get used to more weight on my back and then shoot for a 3RM on Friday.

The following week (that is the week before the Matti Tikka is on) I was thinking:
    Monday - Work out maybe my opening attempt for a squat, something I can do comfortably, say around 130kg. Same with deadlift, work out a weight I know is challenging but that I will still be able to pull on the day.
    Wednesday - 3x5 Light squats to keep blood flowing, maybe some light bench and practice setting up my deadlift (which has been an issue). Maybe some kettlebell swings / pullups

Then compete on the Saturday.

What do you all think?
    My Journal

I love to do swings. There's something cool about getting a heavy weight overhead with just one hand, no matter how it's accomplished. Good luck with your meet.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

LuNa
    Im going to have a google around to get some info on that meet you are doing. Maybe i could go and watch.

Cant give you any tips on prep, except for work hard, which you are already doing .

Week 9
    Wednesday

Front Squats
    2x3 @ 72.5kg(160lbs)

Squats
    1x3 @ 72.5kg(160lbs)

Snatch Grip RDL's
    3x8 @ 70kg(155lbs)

- Today was very much a nothing session, my right bicep tendon is sore so I didn't really want to do anything with shoulder flexion/extension and risk aggravating it more.

- Front Squats are still an issue, can't stay up in the hole. This leads to more pressure on my wrist so I called it short after two sets. I'll probably try speed back squats for now.

- Snatch Grip RDL's were hard on the grip, I may change these to regular RDL's soon as I don't want my grip to be the limiting factor. Should probably have a crack at learning how to do Good Mornings properly again soon.

- Did a bunch of longboarding today as well, good way to get the blood flowing as a warm up haha. I'm having a lot of fun on it. I want to get a video for when I'm old and less active/daring/stupid haha.

- Got the baseball in to the piriformis today and the calves. Holy CRAP I have some sore spots in my calves, especially the sides.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by LuNalicious View Post
    Im going to have a google around to get some info on that meet you are doing. Maybe i could go and watch.

Cant give you any tips on prep, except for work hard, which you are already doing .
    Ask and you shall receive Luna.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Thanks, it looks pretty good. Do you have any clue if a lot of people will be coming to watch?

What are the rules? Is it all raw or are there different divisions? I noticed they had seniors and juniors with different weight classes, didnt see anything about gear though.

Thanks, it looks pretty good. Do you have any clue if a lot of people will be coming to watch?
    It should be quite a big competition, probably the second biggest on in NSW this year (we had Nationals in July). Then again, it's powerlifting so it may not be a massive crowd.

What are the rules? Is it all raw or are there different divisions? I noticed they had seniors and juniors with different weight classes, didnt see anything about gear though.
    It's an Powerlifting Australia competition, meaning IPF Rules. Rules are a bit expansive, I'd be happy to explain most on the day...

Gear
    IPF Gear rules apply, so only single ply gear. Knee wraps, wrist wraps, belts are all allowed.

Squat
    All squats must be to or below parallel.
    Parallel = Illiac crest of the hip below the patella

Deadlift:

Get the weight up, full extension at the top (knees and hips).

Bench
    Head must stay on the bench
    Feet cannot move once the lift commences
    Must have an even extension of the arms
    My Journal

Squat
    All squats must be to or below parallel.
    Parallel = Illiac crest of the hip below the patella
    No, the ass must go through the floor. It must present a shovel to dig a hole in the ground so that the ass can go deeper.

No, the ass must go through the floor. It must present a shovel to dig a hole in the ground so that the ass can go deeper.
    Risk is a CAPO lifter so parallel = ... well they're not really sure :P
    My Journal

LuNa
    LOL, good stuff!

Thanks for the explanation! Are you planning on using anything?

No mate, I don't even use a belt yet. I might use wrist wraps in the bench because I've been having some issues with wrist strength/pain.
    My Journal