Week 9
    Friday

Squats
    1x3 @ 120kg(265lbs)
    1x2 @ 130kg(285lbs)

Bench Press
    1x5 @ 60kg(135lbs)
    1x1 @ 80kg(175lbs)

- Today was a very bad day for the gym. I wasn't feeling too bad getting there, a little tired. But everything felt godamn heavy. I've talked to Boris who thinks that my weights on Volume day may be a bit too high.
    As well as that I had two pretty hard days at work during the week (Tuesday = 8 hours digging clay in 38C-100F heat). I've still got a few niggling injuries too, my bicep tendon in my right shoulder is still quite sore and my right hand is battered and bruised from stacking on my skateboard a week ago. I think I maybe should have done a deload week somewhere during this program... I'm not sure. I've been eating plenty and getting 6-8 hours sleep a night so I'm not sure they're necessarily issues.
    Next week I intend to drop down the volume, try and up the intensity a little and see what happens. If my shoulder is still sore I won't be doing anything that aggravates it.

- I was shooting for 5 reps at 130kg and got 2. I used 120kg as a warm-up weight for my work set of 130kg. I have no idea why I did 3 reps, 1 would have been sufficient. Nonetheless, I think I am squatting a bit too slow on my squats as well. See how I go next week.

- Bench Press was hurting my hand a little and as I reached the top for the first rep of 80kg my right bicep tendon hurt a lot. I racked the bar and called it a day.

- I hated having to call it quits so early but I think I don't think I would have done much good to continue training.

- Thankfully, I went out after the gym and had a good night. I saw a mate play a good gig, enjoyed burgers with Boris, Julian & Luke and then made some new friends and met up with some old ones. A good way to take my mind off a ****ty night in the gym.

Looking to the future...

- I have Matti Tikka in 2 weeks as well as finishing university at the same time. After these events I am going to start working full time which will probably impede my recovery somewhat and because of this I am considering changing programs. Wendler's 5/3/1 seems like a suitable program as it's easy to understand and there appears to place emphasis on making slow, steady gains. I've read the e-book and I like the way it is set up.
    At the same time, I sometimes think maybe I should just HTFU. I mean I'm 20 years old, I have access to plenty of food and I'm still a fairly "novice" trainee. Really not sure what to do.

- Last but not least, I made Dr. Boris give me a mobility plan, something that I have to do every second night. If I don't post up as doing it, kick my ****ing ass. I should be more mobile, I'm 20 years old for chrissake and I get back pain and can't squat to depth without warming up. That's bull**** and it needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by tomv; 11-06-2009 at 08:43 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Its good that you are listening to your body Tom. I wish i could squat 130kg for 2 reps on a bad day. Good luck with the mobility work.

I cant give any results on 5/3/1 as of yet, but i do like the way it is set up. Every lift gets the same amount of attention.

Matti Tikka looks promising, any ideas on your openers as of yet and what you are planning to hit?

Openers for Matti Tikka will probably be
    130Squat/80Bench/160Deadlift

I want numbers I know I can hit even on a bad day. Bench may change depending on my training next week because I haven't done it in so dang long.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Week 9
    Saturday
    Mobility Work

Baseball In My Ass Cheek - hips felt nice and loose after this.

Seated Ass Stretch

Pec Stretch

Squat to Stand - these sucked, could hardly do them and got a bit of pain in my lower back trying

1 Legged Ass Flexing - It seems my right side is much more "loose", that is to say, comes further out then my left leg.

Glute Bridges - I kept feeling this in my hamstrings, despite trying a few variations.

16kg KB Swings - These I feel in my glutes, did about 10 reps. Probably do more next time or do them at the start as a way of warming up a little as well.

Didn't do any foam rolling tonight. I did have some 100mm pressure rated pipe in the garage from my potato gun making days but it appears to have been thrown out. I'll have to jump up to bunnings tomorrow and get some.

I should be posting mobility work every second day. If I don't, call me a stupid big nancy who's afraid of doing work when it counts. Seriously. (A little technique I learned from Dan John haha).
    Last edited by tomv; 11-07-2009 at 04:24 AM.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Baseball In My Ass Cheek
    Don't ask...Don't tell
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Boris as in WBB Boris?

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Don't ask...Don't tell
    Haha we do things differently Down Under.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Boris as in WBB Boris?
    No mate, a bloke I know IRL. I just copy+paste this from another board so sometimes some posts may not make sense
    My Journal

Baseball In My Ass Cheek
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Don't ask...Don't tell
    Hey, could be worse... at least he said baseball and not basketball. Ouch. hahaha
    Titanium Enhanced.
    Lean Mean Machine in progress!
    Go hard or go home!

GoodyGirl's Lean Mean Machine Journal

LuNa
    If i had known that i would have never decided to study here :O.

Week 10
    Monday

Warmup

Longboarding
    Baseball + Piriformis = Pain
    Glute Stretch
    Pec Stretch
    Air Squats
    Band Dislocates
    Adductor Stretch

Squats
    2x3 @ 120kg(264lbs)
    1x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)

- That's it... Yep.

- Squats felt heavy still, heavier then they should. Feel like I can't get in to a groove... I'm not sure if it's mental but I don't think that it is. I have been making steady progress for about 8 weeks and I guess my body just decided it needed a deload week. Last week I still pushed it pretty hard on Monday and it showed on Friday when I was weak as buggery.

- I've decided to listen to my body and essentially try and make this week a deload week. This is because of training but also because of exams which are probably going to screw up my sleeping patterns.

- I didn't do any assistance work as my right wrist / hand is playing up. I can't press anything, I tried to do a few deadlifts at 100kg and also felt a bit of strain in my right hand. Same with chinups. Hopefully work doesn't make it too much worse, but I'm trying to be mindful of it, take plenty of ibuprofen and ice it up.

- I've decided to do 5/3/1 after the Matti Tikka and will probably base my maxes off of those I set in that competition. I'll post up a training template soon for what I intend to do with the program.
    Last edited by tomv; 11-09-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    My Journal

Week 10
    Monday
    Mobility Work

16kg KB Swings x 25 - Feel like these help to strengthen my glutes in lieu of glute bridges, which I still feel activating my hamstrings hard.

Baseball + Piriformis = Pain - Again, hips feel a bit looser after doing this.

Seated Butt Stretch - It's hilarious how much tighter my right side is than my left.

Doorway Pec Stretch - Bit of a twinge in the back of my right shoulder when I do this.

IT Band PVC Roll - These hurt near the top of the femur (near the hip) & right near the knee joint... Is it meant to? Hurt as in... Foam roller hurt I guess.

Thoracic Extensions on PVC - Heard a few nice little cracks with this, tried to keep my abs tight and bend the thoracic spine.

Squat to Stand - Weak spots come from not doing what you suck at. I suck at these, I'll try get better.

1 Legged Ass Flex - Not sure I'm doing these right...

16kg KB Swings x 25 - Gotta love symmetry.
    My Journal

Oh... and my mate Rob did 20x140kg(310lbs) Back Squat today. Crazy bastard that he is, not too shabby for a Crossfitter eh? Catching up to him is a definite goal.
    My Journal

Congrats to your roomate. That's good squatting.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hey Tom, maybe you started out too heavy for your squats? Id say you need a deload but you just began the new setup... so that leads me to think you started out too heavy. Food for thought
    Sarvamangalam!

Nah I think I do need a deload mate, I've been doing the program for about 8 weeks putting 2.5kg on every week. I think I should maybe have reset volume day once as well, that was getting damn hard. I'm still torn between doing 5/3/1 or TM.
    My Journal

Well, I think 5/3/1 is a monthly progression and TM is weekly, so it should depend on how advanced you are, insofar as recovery times.
    Sarvamangalam!

I think I'll give TM another crack, I feel if I deload after every 4th week or so and make sure volume day doesn't get too heavy I should be able to keep getting stronger.
    My Journal

Yea, thats what got me was my volume day. I hit 325 x 2x3 OLY squat on intensity then tried for 295 x 5x3 on volume the next week and hurt my back. Im gonna get there again, just slower to avoid injury. That volume day can be a real biatch.
    Sarvamangalam!

Yeah I'm also going to try and compromise a little with my gains in the lifts. I like the template you gave me and I imagine I could hit 2.5kg gains on that with the limited volume but I want to try get stronger at a whole bunch of lifts, not just the powerlifts. I've bought Microplates so I may only be upping the squat weight 1kg a week sometimes but that's ok with me.

I'm going to try some Olympic Lifts in there (Hang Power Snatch / Power Cleans / Jerks) but I'm not really sure how to program them.
    I've got terrible flexibility atm, which I'm working on. Doing the full lifts (i.e. squat cleans / snatches) is a bit iffy however as I'm worried about my form in the bottom of the hole. I may try them light in some conditioning workouts though.

I also want to do 1-2 conditioning workouts a week (no longer than 10 minutes, probably having lots of chinups / heavy kettlebell work / sprinting).

But seeing all my goals makes me think that maybe doing Gant Grimes Hybrid Routine may be what I'm after, minus a lot of the gymnastic work.
    Last edited by tomv; 11-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.
    My Journal

Nice, that should be fun. I have some templates I used for TM w/ the OLY lifts if youre interested. Im currently doing one with both OLY and CF stuff. I dont know if it will work, but Im having a good time hoping. Its basically:

OLY A
    Squat
    BO Row
    WOD

OLY B
    Squat
    Pullups
    WOD

OLY A
    Squat
    Press
    Sprints

OLY lifts go ABA, BAB like SS and Im doing SS progression for squats until I get my strength back up, then Ill load it like TM, then Madcow after TM levels off.

Program the OLY lifts with the same progression as you would squats. Do WO to WO linear, then like TM. Id do them in 5x2. I also, wuoldnt worry about the accessory lifts for now... just the full lifts. Also, buy Weightlifting: Olympic Style by Tommy Kono. Its awesome.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Nice, that should be fun. I have some templates I used for TM w/ the OLY lifts if youre interested. Im currently doing one with both OLY and CF stuff. I dont know if it will work, but Im having a good time hoping. Its basically:

OLY A
    Squat
    BO Row
    WOD

OLY B
    Squat
    Pullups
    WOD

OLY A
    Squat
    Press
    Sprints

OLY lifts go ABA, BAB like SS and Im doing SS progression for squats until I get my strength back up, then Ill load it like TM, then Madcow after TM levels off.

Program the OLY lifts with the same progression as you would squats. Do WO to WO linear, then like TM. Id do them in 5x2.
    I think I might give that a try
    OLY A = Power Clean + Jerk
    Oly B = Hang Power Snatch
    What do you reckon?
    My Journal

I think I might give that a try
    OLY A = Power Clean + Jerk
    Oly B = Hang Power Snatch
    What do you reckon?
    Id focus on the full lifts. Might as well learn and build them from the ground up. I liken the partials to something like doing a Rack Pull, yea, they get you better at a certain area but youll always have to do a full DL at some point. Save the partials for when you need to work on a sticking point. For example, say you need to learn to drop faster in the snatch, do some snatch balance or drop snatch, but you can only ascertain that those are what are needed if and only if youve been doing the full lifts and are good at them. Thats my take, others may disagree but many of the greats only practiced the full lifts. Some even only trained with squats, snatch and clean and jerks.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 11-10-2009 at 07:35 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Tom's Texas Method

Monday
    Olympic Lift A 5x2
    Squat 5x5
    Pressing Movement A 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Wednesday
    Olympic Lift B 5x2
    Back Squat 2x5 *Light Reps*
    Chinups 5x?
    Pressing Movement B *Light*

Friday
    Olympic Lift A 3x2
    Back Squat 1x5
    Pressing Movement A 1x5
    Bent Row 1x5
    5-10 Minutes Conditioning Work

Notes
    Olympic Lift A = Clean & Jerk
    Olympic Lift B = Snatch
    Pressing Movement A = Bench
    Pressing Movement B = Press
    Fortnightly lifts will be rotated i.e. ABA, BAB
    - I'll be happy to make smaller increases in the lifts, I've bought micro plates to help with this.
    - I'll try take a deload week every 4 weeks or so, I'll cut weight back and maybe even sub in some unilateral stuff.
    - Conditioning work will probably consist of a mix of: OH Squats, KB Swings/Snatches, Sprinting, Pushups, Pullups.
    My Journal

That looks awesome!
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    That looks awesome!
    Thanks mate, I really appreciate your feedback . I've got a competition in 2 weeks and then I'll start it after that ... Only issue is I want to try and cut some weight so it may be about a month or so until I give it a crack.
    My Journal