Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

WOD

Front Squat 5x3
    70 / 80 / 85 / 87.5 / 90 (kg weight)
    155 / 175 / 187 / 192.5 / 200 (lb weight)

Happy with my numbers, put on 5kg since last time, ramped up a bit faster and felt like I could have maybe squeezed out a bit more. I love strength training.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

WOD

Today was meant to be a rest day but I had one off over the weekend so decided to do a bit of strength work instead because strength work is fun! Hit a few PR's so pretty happy with the sesh in all .

Press - 55kg (120lbs) x 1
    OHSQ - 70kg (155lbs) x 1
    Strict Chins - x 9
    DL - 140kg (315lbs) x 4

Loving it.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

WOD

Fight Gone Bad

Total score of 249.

Higher score then last time by 13 points. Not a very big improvement really but I think there's reasons for this. There's a fair bit of shoulder use in the WOD and I smashed mine pretty hard yesterday (ME Press and some OHSQ work) so that may have affected performance a little. Killer workout though, looking forward to doing it next time.

Extra Work

At the indoor rock climbing gym today managed to get an 18 on an overhang that I've been trying for a while so I was pretty bloody happy with that.
    Last edited by tomv; 04-29-2009 at 05:32 AM.
    My Journal

WOD

Nicole

In total did 3.6k worth of running and 48 chinups in 20 minutes.

I managed to improve both running and amount of chins over last time by a decent amount so I'm happy with the improvement as always. Last time I did the session the run had a hill in it whereas this time it was flat so that may explain the extra 550m however I cranked out an extra 13 chinups so that's an improvement in itself. Good session to absolutely flog yourself.
    My Journal

great work - the Nicole WOD seems like a killer. 400m, followed by chins to max... Where they all unassisted?

I might try that one soon... sounds awful but good for you lol...
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Yep all chins were unassisted. Rep structure was something like 5 per set then back to the run. Cheers for the comment
    My Journal

WOD

FlipDipSwing!

FOR TIME

100m Tyre Flips (Big ugly bugger of a tyre same size as from "Tyred Yet?" but with more tread so a bit heavier).

100 Ring Dips (Scaled - 1 Band)

100 Kettlebell Swings (@24kg)

1 Lap Run (200m)

Time - 29:28
    My Journal

Strength Work

Deadlifts
    40 x 5 (95lbs)
    60 x 5 (135lbs)
    100 x 3 (220lbs)
    140 x 1 (315lbs)
    150 x 1 (335lbs)
    160 x FAIL (352 lbs)
    140 x 3 (315lbs)
    140 x 3 (315lbs)

Missed the 160 just at the lockout. Couldn't bring the hips through. Bummer, would have been a decent PR.
    Gunna try and do heavy DL at least once a week as well as regular training, probably cycle rep structure e.g.
    1st week 3x5
    2nd week 3x3
    3rd week 3x1

I was going to do presses today as well but trainer said probably not a good idea so I'm assuming my shoulders are gunna get worked hard soon.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:36 AM.
    My Journal

New Goal Added:

Sydney Open
    Powerlifting Competition
    October 18.
    Run by Powerlifting Australia (which is IPF endorsed)

I'm aiming to compete just for the sake of it and also to help support the sport in Australia. I'm only in it to better my own records, not beat others (though that would be a bonus).
    I need a 365kg total to compete as a "D" grade lifter which I think I can easily hit in the 6 months I have till the competition.

I intend on continuing to do Crossfit and just throw in 2-3 additional training sessions a week (probably in the afternoon) where I go heavy on squats/deadlift/bench press (or press depending on equipment available).

Wish me luck!
    My Journal

100m Tyre Flips sound horrible!

Good luck in preparing for the competition. As you say, you should be able to make those numbers by contiuing crossfit and making sure you keep doing some strength work on the big 3. Maybe a month out though you might want to drop the crossfit and just focus o the big 3?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

7/5/09
    WOD

PressTest!
    Strict Press 5x1
    Push Press 5x3
    Push Jerk 5x5

Lifts
    Strict Press 1 Rep per Set
    50(110)
    55(120)FAIL
    52.5(115)
    52.5(115)
    55(120)
    Push Press 3 Reps per Set
    55(120)
    55(120)
    60(135)
    65(145)
    65(145)
    Push Jerk 5 Reps per Set
    60(135)
    60(135)
    60(135)
    65(145)FAIL (on the last godamn rep!)
    65(145)

Love doing press work because I suck at it so damn much. Pretty happy with the weights I was getting up. I can Push Jerk far more weight then I was doing but lowering it back down in a controlled fashion after every rep really takes it out of you! As always progressed from last time so I'm happy.
    My Journal

7/5/09

Strength Work

Squats
    5x3
    100(220) for all sets.

Bit tired as I did this immediately after press work. Trying to focus on form and drive my knees out and really use my hips. Neither happy nor unhappy with the weights used.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    My Journal

WOD

Run Rabbit, Run Rabbit, Run Run Run!
    5km Run (3 and 1/8th mile)

25:00

Didn't beat my time from last time but we ran on a new course which felt slightly more hilly. I tried to push myself hard throughout the run so I'm happy with my effort, just going to have to see how I go next time.
    My Journal

@Dan

Yeah mate I'll probably do just that, about second week in to September I'll start trying to do PL exclusively for a little while and then say 3-4 days before the comp not train at all or just do really light stuff. Should be a bit of fun.
    My Journal

Good stuff, that sounds about right

Massive Massive Massive day at the gym.
    Will post more later.
    Last edited by tomv; 05-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
    My Journal

Strength Work

Bench 5x5
    70kg on all sets (155lbs)
    Godamnit I suck at pressing. Ah well nothing to it but to do it and keep getting better ay?

Tricep Pushdown
    3x8
    28kg (on the machine)
    Just a little bit of accessory work and heck tbh I want bigger arms haha.

Curls
    3x8
    20kg
    See above =P.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    My Journal

Strength Work

Deadlift
    5x3
    140kg (315lbs) for all sets.

Gunna throw some videos up in a sec for critiquing yo!
    My Journal

140kg
    5x3
    First Set
    Video

Last Set
    Video
    Last edited by tomv; 05-12-2009 at 05:18 AM.
    My Journal

You need to get your speed on the DL up, your not using ANY of your dip to preload the hamstrings and your hips are coming up too fast.

Get into position, shoulders in front of the bar (I try to get infront, but I end up being just in front - this helps with leverage in a sec), now I grip and rip here - I litteraly don't set my grip on the bar, I use the dip of my hips when I sit back to grab the bar and push down through the floor with my hams (Ie, I'll get up from a sitting position as fast as possible.), then really squeze your glutes together and lean back to lock it out.

What your doing is using all back and minimal hamstrings, your glutes are linked to hams flexing directly and it doesn't look like they are firing at all! Introduce some box sqauts at paralell to start with once a week, but because you are IPF they want ASS TO THE FLOOR - so lower the box as your flexibility allows. For the glutes firing, get someone to smack your hamstring when the bar is just above the knee cap on your ascent - tis ghey, and you really need to get someone who knows how the hell to DL to do it too. I did this with 1mmort4l and he put on 40ish kgs to his, up from 140ish!

Thanks for the tips Risk, I'll try and lower the weight and give it a shot with your advice sometime later this week or next week. Are you saying when I start my pull my back should be more vertical? And squeeze my arse like I'm in a prison shower?

I've never really done box squats but where I train atm we squat down to a med ball to ensure depth on squats. I'll look them up and give them a shot.

Thanks again mate.
    My Journal

WOD

Cassius Clay
    5 rounds for time!

3 Deadlift 145kg/95kg I used 120kg(264lbs)
    3 Muscle Up (transitional if unable) Scaled to: Two false grip chinups to chest on rings, 1 deep ring dip
    3 Clean & Jerk 85kg/47.5kg 60kg(135lbs)
    2 Rope Climb (5m) I climbed halfway up the rope 4 times
    1 Box jump
    400m Run

Time - 37:23

This session was intense. I knew it was going to smash me but I was surprised when it was my biceps/arms that died first on ropeclimbs/chins rather then anything else. Im looking forward to doing it again because I think when I am more confident in my DL form and a bit better with chinups I will be able to smash it out much closer to Rx'd and faster.
    Last edited by tomv; 05-18-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    My Journal

Eugh, pukey pukey

WOD

Angie

100 Pullups
    100 Pushups
    100 Situps
    100 Squats
    You cannot begin the next exercise until all reps are finished of previous exercise.

Time - 32:18

Massive improvement on my time! Last time I did Angie it took me approximately 37 minutes and that was with jumping chinups and terrible form on my pushups! Yeah buddy! Next time I'm hoping to have my kipping form sorted out so should help to shave some time off.

@Risk
    Mr Pukey only visits when there's workouts with; Burpees, swings or rowing.
    My Journal

WOD

5x3 Squats
    100, 110, 115, 120(FAIL), 100
    220, 245, 255, 265(FAIL), 220
    Smashed myself pretty hard, wasn't really feeling the session tonight. Got to the gym after a few annoying hours at uni and being stuck in traffic and couldnt get in the zone. I hit a PR but I wasn't happy with my intensity. Ah well, highs and lows ay?

Strength Work

Press
    5x5 @ 40kg
    Ring Dips
    3, 3, 3, 5, 5

I suck at pressing movements of any kind. Max pushups is only like 20, max bench is probably only 80kg, max press is about 55kg.
    Last edited by tomv; 05-20-2009 at 04:55 AM.
    My Journal