The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Looking forward to the report on the comp.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pardon the lack of updates, this week was deload week so there doesn't seem to be much point in reporting. Here's a brief summary:

Monday

Bench
    Worked up to 3x1 @ 75kg(165lbs)
    - Felt easy, as it should.

Deadlift
    Worked up to 4x2 @ 155kg(341lbs)
    - Surprisingly these felt pretty bloody hard. I think it was more a grip issue than anything else (the whole "Your body won't pull what your hands can't grip". Bar I'm using is thicker than a standard bar which makes it a bit difficult

Wednesday

Squats
    Worked up to 3x2 @ 102.5kg(225lbs)
    - Felt good, a little tight at the bottom of the hole but probably didn't stretch my adductors enough prior to beginning. Felt very strong on all reps however.

Bench
    Worked up to 3x2 @ 70kg(154lbs)
    - E.z.Pee.z.

Bring on Saturday morning! For openers I'm thinking 140/95/210. I want to hit 155/105/227.5. We will see what happens and what various sources of guidance think.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Intervarsity Comp
    D-Day.

Squat
    1st: 140kg(308lbs)
    2nd: 150kg(330lbs)
    3rd 155kg(341lbs) X

Bench Press
    1st: 95kg(209lbs)
    2nd: 100kg(220lbs)
    3rd: 107.5kg(237lbs)

Deadlift
    1st: 210kg(462lbs)
    2nd: 227.5kg(501lbs) X
    3rd: 227.5kg(501lbs) X

Notes

- Meet was at 9am on Saturday morning. Was feeling pretty good going in to it, though a little put off simply because it was fairly early in the morning and I almost always train in the afternoon. At 7:30am I weighed in at 107.5kg. Made sure I took time to warm up properly with mobility/stretching stuff. Big thanks to Boris for helping me out on the day.

- Squats felt alright on the warmups, a little rushed as I lost track of time (last was a single on 120kg/264lbs). 1st attempt was alright, however I lost tightness in the hole, my hips shot up and I ended up having to Good Morning the weight up. I had the strength to do it, but this strategy was not optimal. 150kg was a similar story, I lost it in the hole, hips popped up and form went to buggery as I used brute strength to lock out a weight (as opposed to brute strength + good technique).
    I was notified after the attempt that a spotter had touched the bar on the way up and as such, the lift didn't count. I was given the option to take the attempt again at the end of the round (in about 3-4 minutes). I declined, as I'm not really fussed as to whether or not in counts "in competition".
    I took 155kg for my final attempt and I'll admit I didn't have the best mental attitude going in to the lift. My hips popping up hasn't happened in a while and it was bugging me that it was now. I took the weight out of the rack, descended, but the same thing happened again. I was bummed but still happy with a 5kg PR. More on this later...

- Bench Press was feeling pretty good in warmups, though it's hard to do too much for an opener of 95kg(209lbs). Don't have much to say about these lifts, they all came up well and felt great. On the 107.5kg (final attempt) I hit the rack with the bar on the way down, but thankfully stayed tight and focused and powered the weight up. Feels good to finally bench >100kg(2platesperside) and also bodyweight. This was a 12.5kg PB over my previous comp best.

- Came time for deadlifts and I was amped to have a crack at 500lbs. As I was warming up though, weights were feeling quite heavy. Both 170kg & 190kg felt like they could have been openers so this had me a little worried. With that being said, deadlifts over 150kg always feel heavy so I figured I'd just knuckle down and see what happens.
    210kg was the opener and it came up well albeit a little slowly. 227.5kg was loaded for the second attempt, I walked up the bar and... didn't budge it off the ground. Same deal as my squats, my hips shot up and the lift went to crap. I was frustrated as I've been focusing on trying to set up tighter recently however it didn't seem to come together on the day. I was going to pass on my third but was told by my mate Damo something to the effect of "Man up". Went out and had a crack, moved it a good 4-6 inches off the ground this time but was undone again as my hips shot up and the bar went way forward. Disappointed I didn't get the lift but considering I'd had such massive increases in my deadlift strength recently I guess it was going to slow down sometime.

- So my post comp analysis is that, when training at home I have become complacent with my form. I'd noticed on a few occasions that I was letting my hips come up a little quick in the squat but without someone else yelling at me to fix it I think I was being too lenient with myself. So in an attempt to fix this I've decided to start training at North Sydney PCYC again. The extra eyes and the different environment I believe will help to keep me honest.

- I'm also going to be trying different programming (though still focusing on increasing my powerlifting total). I've been talking to 1-2 guys about what they do and have decided to give it a crack. When I have a more exact idea of what I'll be doing, I'll post up the routine. For now, in summary, it will be 4 days a week, still focusing on the big lifts but with a bit more accessory work as opposed to Sheiko.

- The rest of the weekend was a ****ing ball. I stayed at the competition for 15 hours on Saturday watching people lift and Sunday was awesome as the big boys were lifting and I was in the thick of it helping a friend warm up. Got to see some huge totals and some ridiculously strong guys. As well as this, saw a number of competitors who look far more solid/strong at 110kg than I do. I need to re-focus and smarten up. Eating has been lax lately as has stretching. Next competition is the Matti Tikka on December 5th. I aim to be a great deal stronger and bigger by then. 16 weeks of good training, let's boogie.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Be Alert. The world needs more Lerts.
    Week 1 - Thursday 29/7/10

Squats
    1x5 @ 40kg(88lbs)
    then add 10kg, do another 5 reps up to:
    1x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)

Chinups
    3x5

Pushups
    3x10

- Just a quick session, trying to make sure the weights don't feel so-damn-heavy when I start up properly next week. I'll probably try do another similar session on Saturday afternoon.

- Squats started off alright, playing around with my technique and trying to make sure I keep my chest up. I probably should have called it at 80kg, both 90 & 100 felt strangely heavy today. Ah well, done and dusted now. I'm about to do some stretching while watching TV.

- Chinups and pushups were just to get the elbows & shoulders moving a bit.

- Heart rate was way up by the time I finished this session... I need to start doing some cardio.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Incredible write up Tom. Your strength lately has been really impressive. You have come so far since that first meet, just imagine how far you can go the coming time. The coming 16 weeks will give you amazing results, im sure!

Sounds like the comp was fun and a valuable learning experience. You put up some good numbers and I'm sure you'll build on that in future meets. Well done!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 1 - Monday 02/08/10

Bench Press
    1x5 @ 40kg(88lbs)
    1x5 @ 50kg(110lbs)
    1x5 @ 60kg(132lbs)
    1x3 @ 70kg(154lbs)
    1x1 @ 80kg(176lbs

1x5 @ 85kg(187lbs)

Flat Dumbell Press
    3x8 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)

Chinups
    35 reps in 10 sets

Press
    3x10 @ 32.5kg(72lbs)

- First proper day of training leading up to Matti Tikka on the 4th of December. I'll now be training 4 days a week.

- Mondays is Bench + Assistance. I work up to a heavy set of 5 on the bench and then proceed to do assistance work, targeting raw bench & lats.

- Bench felt good, the 5 was a bit awkward as I'm not used to touch-n-go bench (had been doing most of the bench in my last cycle paused). Nonetheless, felt good. I'll probably have a crack at 87.5kg next week and try to keep moving it up from week to week.

- Dumbell presses felt surprisingly heavy, though I haven't done them in quite a while. I'll have a go at moving up in weight next week. After a while (as work capacity increases yada-yada) I'll do 10 in each set and then add another set altogether. After that caps out, I'll switch over to incline presses.

- As many sets as possible to hit 35. Hopefully will be 9 sets next week. Just doing this with palms facing toward me about 30cm(12in.) apart.

- Been a while since I've done such high reps on the press haha. 32.5kg brought on quite a pump. I'm going to keep the reps high as I really want to try and promote a bit of growth in my shoulders.

- That's all I've got to say about that. Wednesday is deadlift day.
    My Journal

Nice work on the chin ups - thats a great way to progress if you ask me. Its hard to keep grinding out high rep sets, particularly if you can;t do that many bodyweight, so just picking a total number and hitting them no matter what is a good strategy.

Hey, would you say your bench is the weaker lift of yours? I reckon I am on like 60KG for 10 reps right now which sucks, sucks, sucks I hate it. I am hell bent on working up to 80KG for reps by Christmas at least.

Keep up the good work brutha.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 08-02-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

I used to think bench was a weaker lift, but after hitting that PR I think it's brought it in line a lot more. I'll be working hard at it for the next 16 weeks and am hoping to hit around 120kg for my competition in December.

From my experience and observations, the best thing to get your bench up is simply to do a lot of benching. You see plenty of regular gym rats who through sheer volume are capable of benching something like 100x10. Not necessarily any smart programming or dieting, just sheer consistency and volume.

Mate if you can hit 60x10 now, you could probably hit 80x10 by Christmas time (especially considering you're now bulking)
    My Journal

120KG would be niiiiiiiiiiice huh?

Yep, just gotta get my head down and progress week after week. Actually eating is going to help too now

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Sorry for the lack of action from me in here. Great job in the meet, dude. First off, I never knew you weighed that much! Was that a raw meet? The change of environment is huge compared to training at home. I think I'm going to **** myself when I compete since all I do is train alone at home, haha. New program, eh?! Can you give us an idea of how it'll look or do you just want to wait until it's finalized?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Sorry for the lack of action from me in here. Great job in the meet, dude. First off, I never knew you weighed that much! Was that a raw meet? The change of environment is huge compared to training at home. I think I'm going to **** myself when I compete since all I do is train alone at home, haha. New program, eh?! Can you give us an idea of how it'll look or do you just want to wait until it's finalized?
    Haha yeah I'm a somewhat heavy boy. I'll probably try and stay around this weight for as long as possible and hopefully through a decent diet and plenty of heavy weights just gradually lean out.

Meet wasn't Raw, but due to the nature of all the new competitors most guys lifted raw. Our first ever competition with a raw division will be in December. I lifted in a belt and wrist wraps.

Mate I cannot recommend getting to a meet highly enough. You meet other competitors and the atmosphere really cannot be described. Your blood pumps like niagra falls.
    My Journal

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 1 - Wednesday 04/08/10

Italics indicate warmups

Deadlifts
    1x5 @ 60kg(132lbs)
    1x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)
    1x3 @ 140kg(308lbs)
    1x1 @ 162.5kg(358lbs)

3x3 @ 175kg(385lbs)
    2x2 @ 175kg(385lbs)

Squats, Low- Bar Squats
    2x5 @ 40kg(88lbs)
    2x5 @ 60kg(132lbs)
    1x3 @ 80kg(176lbs)

5x5 @ 90kg(198lbs)

Hip Extensions
    5x8

Decline Bench Situps
    3x10

Curls
    3x10 @ 20kg(44lbs)

- Deadlifts felt HARD and heavy tonight. First set was good, second set was rubbish, third set was marginally better. Last two sets my back just felt too knackered to hit the last reps. Next week I'm going to knock the weight back to 165kg(363lbs) to make sure I hit all the reps right.

- So... I tried low bar squats again for the first time in a while. Mother of god, squats have not felt this stable in a long time. Good bounce out of the bottom, no worrying about weight distribution on the feet, depth was good and kept my elbows down. I will probably try low bar again on Saturday (squat day). As long as I can keep the bar in a good position I think this could be the goods...

- Was meant to do Good mornings instead of hip extensions but my lower back was friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied. Absolutely fried. Hip extensions felt good anyhow as I was really able to focus on hard glute contraction. This is an area that I really need to focus on (glute control). Plenty more hip flexor stretching and glute activation exercises.

- Decline sit ups felt alright, will probably keep them in.

- Curls for the girls.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Good looking session Tom. Your deadlift has really gone up a lot. I still remember you were struggling with form a year ago and now your smashing 175 for reps. Good going!

Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    Approved.
    Noted.
    My Journal

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 1 - Friday 06/08/10

This workout was done in a slightly weird format, as I was squeezing it in before taking the lovely lady out to dinner.

Bench Press
    5x3 @ 85kg(187lbs)

Supersetted with

Chinups
    5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Then

Close Grip Bench
    3x8 @ 60kg(132lbs)

Supersetted with

Dumbell Rows
    3x8 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)

- Squeezed for time, didn't seem to make too much of a difference though.

- Bench felt a little heavy but I was having trouble setting up and didn't have any chalk so my hands were sliding a little. Smashed next week.

- Chinups felt good, these will become weighted chinups next week (adding 2.5kg everytime I hit 5x5 reps)

- Close Grip was fine, will probably do 10 reps next week and then up the weight the following week.

- Dumbell rows were a little odd due to an awkward shaped dumbell. Ah well.

- I was meant to squat today (Saturday) but hardly slept last night due to a head cold and aching shoulder. The shoulder has fixed up (stretched the pec and massaged it) but the head cold has stuck around. Pretty zapped for energy so figured there's no point trying to smash myself with squats. Next time, batman.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Awkward shaped dumbbell? What should one think of shape wise? .

Nice session, good supersets. Solid effort.

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 2 - Monday 09/08/10

Bench Press
    Worked up to

1x4 @ 92.5kg(204lbs)

Chinups
    10 sets, again. 7x4, 2x3, 1x1

Dumbell Bench
    3x10 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)

Military Press
    3x8 @ 35kg(77lbs)

- Another fairly rushed session. Today was the 1 year anniversary that my poor girl was foolish enough to accept my offer of a boyfriend. Thankfully it was an upperbody day.

- Right... so bench was a pretty big jump from last week, the story goes like this. I had intended on doing 1x5 @ 87.5kg (a 2.5kg increase), however for the life of me I couldn't find a second 1.25kg plate. Looked all over the gym for about 5 minutes and thought bugger this, I'll just do 90kg because I'm wasting time. So got down to business, set up well and unracked the bar. Right off the bat it felt a little lopsided but I figured I was just a little asymmetrical in my set up. Got to 4 reps and was being really put off by the asymmetry, racked the weight and yep... I'd left an extra 2.5kg plate on one side. Boofhead. I'll probably just try and do this for 5 reps next week...

- Didn't have my program with me, I was meant to do Chinups after Dumbell bench. I'm sure I'll live. I was disappointed on having to do 10 sets, I was aiming for 9 (8 sets of 4, followed by one set of 3). I might try and set this to a timer so that I've got a way of keeping things constant (e.g. do a set on the minute every 1 or 2 minutes).

- Dumbell bench was alright, I was having a hard time stabilising so I will keep this weight next week and try for 12 reps. Figure there's no point bumping the weight up until I can do it right.

- Military Press was fine, 3x10 next week.

- Deathlifts tomorrow.
    My Journal

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 2 - Wednesday 11/08/10

Deadlifts
    5x3 @ 165kg(363lbs)

Squats
    5x5 @ 95kg(209lbs)

Weighted Planks
    3x30secs @ 10kg

Good Mornings
    1x8 @ 40kg(88lbs)
    2x8 @ 50kg(110lbs)

curlz
    1x10 @ 20kg(44lbs)
    1x8 @ 30kg(66lbs)
    1x10 @ 25kg(55lbs)

- motivation was very low going in to today's session. Got in and got it done though. I knew I was training solo so this didn't help. I still enjoy other peoples input on my form.

- Deadlifts felt 100x better today. Set up felt better, moved the bar faster and locked out strong. I'll up it to 167.5kg next week and make sure the reps stay tight.

- Squats felt a bit off. Didn't warm up enough and also couldn't get the bar in a nice position on my back (I'm trying low bar again remember). Some reps were good, some were really sloppy. The difference seemed to be how much I focused on setting up before each rep. More focus next week.

- Abs were wrecked going in to planks. 30secs was the absolute limit I could have held it for. I probably should have done 1-2 more sets without weight. Ah well, next week.

- Played around with weight a little bit in Good mornings and curls. Next week will be 3x8 @ 50 and 3x10 @ 25 respectively.
    My Journal

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 2 - Thursday 12/08/10

Bench Press
    5x3 @ 85kg(187lbs)

Close Grip Bench
    5x5 @ 60kg(132lbs)

Weighted Chinups
    5, 4, 4, 4, 4 @ BW + 2.5kg

Dumbell Rows
    3x10 @ 20kg

- This was meant to be Friday's session but I've had to do it early as I'm going away for the weekend.

- Bench felt good. A little challenging but not close to failing.

- Close Grip feels as if I could handle considerably more weight. I'll just keep increasing it steadily and see what happens.

- Pretty happy with chinups, hopefully hit 5x5 next week.

- Not sure I like the feeling of Dumbell rows... Maybe try light bent rows. Not too sure.
    My Journal

Matti TIkka Lead Up
    Week 2 - Friday 13/08/10

Squats
    5x3 @ 120kg(264lbs)
    1x20 @ 60kg(132lbs)

Glute Ham Raise
    3x10 @ 9 Pins

Supersetted With

Barbell Curls
    3x10 @ 25kg

Roman Chair Situps
    3x10 @ 9 Pins

Supersetted With

Front Raises
    3x10 @ 15kg Plate

- Comments to come later on, gotta dash.
    My Journal

Matti Tikka Lead Up
    Week 3 - Monday 16/08/10

Bench Press
    1x3 @ 92.5kg(204lbs)
    1x5 @ 85kg(187lbs)

Dumbell Bench Press
    3x12 @ 22.5kg(50lbs)

Chinups
    One set done on the minute, as many minutes/sets to hit 35 reps.
    14 sets

Press
    3x10 @ 35kg(77lbs)

Bent-Row
    3x10 @ 45kg(100lbs)

- After last week I was hoping for 1x5 @ 92.5kg on the bench. This wasn't to be, I could maybe have gotten 1x4 but it felt too hard. The aim of this set is just to work up to a "heavy set of 5". So knocked it back to 85kg(80%) and knocked out 5 reps fairly well. Tried to use a bit of leg drive but can't get the hang of it yet. Might try 87.5kg next week.

- Dumbell bench felt good, ready for 25kg next week for 8-10 reps.

- Decided to change the chinup format so that there's a standard protocol making it easier to measure progess. This seems alright, I did 3 sets of 4, 2 sets of 3 and the rest as sets of 2.

- Military Press was alright, though it got hard as some of the guys were telling jokes in my last set. 35kg becomes really hard to stabilise overhead when you're laughing your ass off.

- Bent row for more back volume. This will follow a similar pattern to press loading (8 reps, 10 reps, 12 reps, then increase weight).
    My Journal

Great work in here Tom - I love your routine - simple and focused on movements, very similar to mine other than you are actually lifting some decent weight lol.

Whens the comp?

SUPER MEGA UPDATE DUE TO MY LAZY ASS NOT POSTING THE PAST WEEKS TRAINING

5/3/1
    Cycle 1 - Week 1
    23/08/10

Press
    5 @ 40kg(88lbs)
    5 @ 45kg(99lbs)
    9 @ 52.5kg(116lbs)

Press + Chinups
    Press set immediately followed by a set of chinups
    5x10 @ 30kg(66lbs)
    5, 5, 4, 4, 3

Dumbell Row
    5x6 @ 32kg(70lbs)

Hill Sprints
    1 rep = Sprint up hill, walk back down. Done at a hill at the soccer fields near my house.
    5 reps.
    1 minute break
    5 reps.

- 5/3/1. It's simple, structured and allows for some flexibility in exercise selection. It's what I'll be giving it a run of 6 cycles.

- Press felt alright, needed to warm up my shoulders a little more as there was a lot of cracking & popping going on in my t-spine as I was doing this. I'm going to make sure there's plenty of pulling movements in this program as I think for a while I was doing faaaaaaar too much pushing. (Sheiko with bench 3 days/week and no pulling movements).

- Press+Chinups was assistance work. I might need to use a band so that I can get a higher number of chins next time. We'll see.

- Rows were pretty hard, with a bit of slop in the form. There's only a few dumbells in the home gym and this is the lightest (aside from a 15kg one). Just going to stick at 6 reps till I nail them strict.

- Hill sprints because I really need to get in shape. I like how Jim Wendler stresses this in his program and I'll be adding hill sprints, jump rope & barbell complexes (slowly) in to the mix. This was a pretty easy "conditioning" session, had a bit of hamstring pump at the end which was good.

- Did a little bit of stretching & glute activation stuff in between some sets. I need to start stretching regularly again, it messes with my squats a tremendous amount. I get in to the whole but lose all speed as I'm pulled out of position by my tight hips. No speed, no tightness, no tension = grinding reps.

5/3/1
    Cycle 1 - Week 1
    25/08/10

DEATHLIFTS
    5 @ 70kg(154lbs)
    5 @ 90kg(198lbs)
    5 @ 110kg(242lbs)
    5 @ 130kg(286lbs)
    5 @ 150kg(330lbs)
    8 @ 170kg(374lbs)

Skwats
    5 @ 80kg(176lbs)
    5 @ 90kg(198lbs)
    4x3 @ 100kg(220lbs)

Hip Extensions
    5x10 @ Bodyweight

Decline Bench Situps
    5x10 @ Bodyweight

Skipping
    5 x 1 Minute Intervals
    Tried to mix in skipping on both feet, alternating and skipping on one foot.

- Deathlifts were called deathlifts because I was actually really intimidated by the prospect of pulling 170kg for more than 5 reps tonight.
    The set felt pretty good and I didn't get any negative comments from any of my training mates so I guess it was all right. I could probably have squeezed out another 1-2 reps but decided to leave a little in the tank as I am wary of hurting something with deadlifts.
    I have been using Hook Grip for all of my deadlifting for the past 2-3 months but think that for these all out sets I may have to change to mixed grip as Hook Grip for such high reps seems to hammer the skin on my thumbs.

- Had to play around a little to work out what weight was right for squats. 100kg felt pretty good. Apparently I'm letting my knees slide forward a bit which is a bad idea but I seemed to be able to rectify the issue with some cueing. This is something I'll try to keep an eye on. Squats felt much better with the recent mobility work + stretching. I'll stick to low bar.

- Hip extensions were used in order to get my glutes to fire. They appear to be extremely inactive and this is nae' good. Focused on contracting my abs/glutes throughout the movement and managed to get a bit of soreness going on by the end of the set.

- Decline situps felt alright, just have to be careful to make sure I control the movement and my hip flexors don't yank on my spine too much.

- Skipping was alright, felt a little unco but just decided to try and get the heart rate up for a few minutes.

5/3/1
    Cycle 1 - Week 1
    26/08/10

Bench Press
    5 @ 35kg(77lbs)
    5 @ 45kg(99lbs)
    5 @ 55kg(121lbs)
    5 @ 65kg(143lbs)
    5 @ 75kg(165lbs)
    9 @ 85kg(187lbs)

Bench Press + Curl Grip Bent Row
    5x10 @ 55kg(121lbs)
    -supersetted with-
    5x10 @ 45kg(99lbs)

Close Grip Bench
    5x5 @ 65kg(143lbs)

- Did my mobility program this morning. Felt good. Bench was done a day early as I've got plans for Friday evening.

- Bench felt good, made sure to warm up my upper body properly and didn't feel any twinges or niggles. 9 reps at 85kg was hard but I had 1 more rep in the tank at least.

- The Superset is to try and get more bench volume in + try and balance out the pushing with some pulling. I think I can handle an extra 5kg in the Rows, I'll keep the bench weight where it is. Only rested 1min30secs between each set.

- Close Grip was fine.

5/3/1
    Cycle 1 - Week 1
    28/08/10

Squats
    5 @ 47.5kg(105lbs)
    5 @ 62.5kg(138lbs)
    5 @ 75kg(165lbs)
    5 @ 90kg(198lbs)
    5 @ 102.5kg(226lbs)
    9 @ 115kg(253lbs)

Glute Ham Raises
    5x10 @ BW (8 pins)

Complex
    Curl
    Bent Row
    Press
    Power Snatch
    Overhead Squat

3 x10 @ 20kg(44lbs) with approx 4-5 mins between each set.

Roman Chair Situps
    2x10 @ BW (8 pins)

Incline Flies
    3x10 @ 5kg

- Was a bit wary about todays session. I had gotten 4 hours sleep the night before, woken up and helped transport a gym for about 1.5 hours and had a pretty lacklustre breakfast. No reason for half efforts though, so gave it my best.

- Felt a little tight on the squats but better than last Saturday. Tried to warm up properly but think I'll have to take longer next week as there was still some tightness in my groin/hips in the hole that messes the entire movement up. I was happy with 9 reps, though they were pretty hard, I should have tried for 10 and I think that mentally I gave up and settled for 9 reps as opposed to really being that exhausted.

- GHR felt good, last reps on the sets were generally a bit of a struggle. I'll keep it at 8 pins for another week and then try to move in to 7 pins.

- Complex was alright, I think I was taking it a bit too cruisy however and would be better served by trying to do as many sets as possibly in say 5-7 minutes.

- The rest of the training session got called short as the barbie was fired up and I was elected to be chef.

- Starting "the Paleo Diet" tomorrow. Hoping to lose a bit of fat as well as feel a bit more energy and other assosciated health benefits. I'm trying it for 1 month and will post results / comments as I go along. Aiming to keep my weight above 100kg(220lbs), I'm 112kg atm (245lbs).
    My Journal