The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: TomV's Journal

5/3/1
    Cycle 2 - Week 2
    27/09/10

Press
    5 @ 25kg(55lbs)
    5 @ 32.5kg(71lbs)
    5 @ 37.5kg(83lbs)
    3 @ 45kg(99lbs)
    3 @ 50kg(110lbs)
    5 @ 57.5kg(127lbs)

Chinups
    5x4 @ Bodyweight

Bench + Bent Row
    5x10 @ 60kg(132lbs)
    5x10 @ 55kg(121lbs)

1 Arm DB Row + ShoulderSircuit
    3x6 @ 32kg(71lbs)
    3x6 @ 5kg(11lbs)

- Press was neither here nor there. I guess looking at it on a macro scale, about a year ago that was my 1RM... But I'd still like to see a little more improvement.

- I attempted to do the Chinups as strictly as possible, while trying to keep my shoulder blades pinned back at the top.

- Bench + Bent Row were a bit hard tonight, trying to focus on keeping my right shoulder blade tucked back on the bench. I won't increase this weight the next cycle. My back is still a little tired from Saturday so Bent Rows were a little tough.

- DB Rows felt a little sore on my left elbow, I'm having an issue with one of my muscles in the left forearm that feels a bit sore at times. Not quite sure what's up, but called it short as I felt it flare up a little.

- I think next cycle I may go for slightly reduced volume in my assistance work, right now I'm not sure the assistance is benefitting my main lifts. We will see.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

5/3/1
    Cycle 2 - Week 2
    30/09/10

Squat
    5 @ 60kg(132lbs)
    5 @ 70kg(154lbs)
    5 @ 87.5kg(193lbs)
    3 @ 100kg(220lbs)
    3 @ 112.5kg(248lbs)
    6 @ 127.5kg(281lbs)

Glute Ham Raise
    5x10 @ 7 Pins Showing

Ez Bar Curl + SuperShoulderSircuit
    3x10 @ Bar+20kg (Nfi how much ez-bar ways)
    3x6 @ DB Handles

- Not too happy with my squats today. I was training by myself and I feel my form normally suffers without cueing (which is something I need to work on). My final set was damn hard work, the last 2 reps were as ugly as sin. Reflecting back on it now, I think I wasn't sitting my hips back enough, letting them come up a bit too quick and then turning it in to a GM. Not good, not good. Ah well, next time batman!

- GHR's were good, I'll move it to 6 pins showing next cycle.

- Curls + SuperShoulderSircuit were fine. Gotta get the guns happening!

- I'm down to about 105kg now (from 111kg). I look noticeably leaner (to myself, anyway) and am happy with the results from my month of Paleo (today was the last day). I'll be maintaining up a similar dietary style for the forseeable future, I want to continue to try and lean out as long as I can maintain my strength. I may not be as strict in my application over the next few months (I'll probably throw in some protein shakes, maybe some Peanut Butter or milk) but will largely try to continue eating clean.
    Last edited by tomv; 09-30-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

5/3/1
    Cycle 2 - Week 2

Deadlifts
    5 @ 75kg
    5 @ 95kg
    5 @112.5kg
    3 @ 132.5kg
    3 @ 150kg
    3 @ 170kg

Bench Press
    5 @ 40kg
    5 @ 50kg
    5 @ 60kg
    3 @ 70kg
    3 @ 80kg
    2 @ 90kg

Squats
    5x3 @ 105kg

Bent Row
    3x10 @ 55kg

Glute Ham Raise
    3x10 @ 7 Showing

Press
    3x10 @ 32.5kg

EZ Bar Curls
    3x10 @ 30kg

- Super Saturday, yet again. I'm thinking of trying to switch down the routine to 2 or 3 days a week. Uni and work commitments are only going to pick up. Worry about that a little later I guess.

- Deadlifts felt a bit average today. It was my 3+ week but grip gave out on the 3rd rep. Pretty bummed and may give straps a go or alternated grip (I use a hook grip) at the moment.

- Very unhappy with Bench today. It felt heavy but I also think I gave up a little bit and could have ground out another rep.

- I think my poor performance may be due to a number of factors. Weight loss, too ambitious with assistance work weights, and a bit of life stress this week. I'll keep running the cycle and again, wait to see what happens.

- The squats went well, form felt great today which was a positive. Just got to carry this over to the heavy days...

- The rest of assistance work was cut down as I had to get going. All the weights felt fine and nothing was particularly rough.

- Maybe a move back to sheiko, with some certain added assitance work might be a move in the right direction... Another cycle of 5/3/1 will see.
    My Journal

Looking good with the 5/3/1. Looks like you have the factors effecting your lifts figured out. The hard part is fixing them. Good luck, we'll be watching.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Still training, just trying to detach myself from being on the computer as much.
    No longer doing 5/3/1, was feeling weaker as the weeks went on, deloaded and tested my maxes and was disappointed to see I'd lost 5-10% off all of my 1RM's.

I'm doing a new routine, nothing special and involves a lot of repetition from week to week (not much changing of weights or exercises) so I won't be posting as often. I'll still be on and reading from time to time however.

Best of luck to all my friends in their training goals.
    My Journal