Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Don't feel bad about the press strength, I think I could barely squeeze out 100 on flat bench, ALOT less for military. I'm definately going to work my pressing alot more, grats on the PR though!

I always ****ing hated Angie. GHD Situps smash me. Didn't realize we had anyone of the board sticking to CF. Figured I was about the only one left that uses their WODs and structure from time to time.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

GHD situps? We just do them on the ground... what's GHD situp? Nah I like crossfit, I've been the best gains in my life training how I am currently. Not for everyone but seems to work for me.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

GHD Situps are done off of the same thing you do back extensions.

WOD 22/5/09

Deadlift
    7x1

140 (315), 140, 150 (330), 150, 140, 120 (265), 130 (285)

Did plenty of warmups before jumping up to 140, felt ok but still a bit of curve in the back. Tried to harden up a bit and went to 150. Felt a bit more of my shoulders rolling forward, losing tightness in the back. Video'd second rep at 150 and definitely not a straight back though I do feel I'm pulling more with my legs now. Dropped down to 120 and then 130, both of which I pulled while maintaining a good solid back. From now on 130 will be the highest I go, with any new weight being video'd to make sure my back stays tight. Going to try throw in 2-3 sets of BB Rows after some sessions to try and work my extensors a bit more as per advice given to me on the forum.

Rock Climbing 22/5/09

Had a top rope comp on tonight at my local gym (Summit Climbing, Blacktown). Had plenty of fun and got a few semi difficult climbs. It was good to hang out with a bunch of mates and watch some really good climbers go at it. Hopefully all the new routes will stay up and I will have some new project climbs!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

WOD

"Filthy Fifties"

For time:
    50 Box jump, 24 inch box
    50 Jumping pull-ups
    50 Kettlebell swings, 16kg (35lbs)
    Walking Lunge, 50 steps
    50 Knees to elbows
    50 Push press, 20kgs (45lb Bar)
    50 Back extensions
    50 Wall ball shots, 9kg ball
    50 Burpees
    50 Double unders

Time - 41:50

This smashed me pretty hard. I went to the gym then climbing comp last night, finished up at about 1030 then went and met up with some other mates and didnt end up getting to sleep till about 2:30. Woke up at 8:30 to head to the gym and wasn't full of energy and after the climbing comp last night my back and arms were pretty torched. This WOD has a fair bit of shoulder use (Jumping Chins, Swings, Push Press, Wall Ball, Burpees, Double Unders) so they were burning hard by the end of it. Hopefully next time I do this WOD I'll be fresh and I'll smash this time.
    Last edited by tomv; 05-22-2009 at 09:20 PM.
    My Journal

Awesome. Was it rock climbing?

Yeah man just indoor rock climbing. Not terribly good at it, better then your average joe but no where near pro :P.
    My Journal

WOD

Press
    7x1

All sets of 50 (110lbs) except for one set of 52.5 (115lbs).

Feeling a bit sick today so I knew I wasn't going to be hitting any PR's. As well as that I did around 100 assisted ring dips the night before so I was feeling pretty tanked. Happy enough as I'm still making progress but would have liked to be feeling fresher and shoot for a PR. I still suck at pressing movements.

Strength Work

Bent-Row
    3x5 @ 50kg (110lbs)
    Chinups
    2x8 @ BW (90kg/200lbs)
    Power Snatch
    4x1 @ 50kg (110lbs)

Rows were to try and strengthen back extensors. Chinups were because I like chinups. Snatch because I love OLY lifts (had to resist typing I love snatch there :P). I want to work on getting comfortable going lower in the snatch though as I'm still only Power Snatching.
    My Journal

Nice work Tom.

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    Its lookin good in here Tom! Keep it up. Those WOD's are no joke for sure.
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

Strength Work 1/6/09

Front Squats

40kg(95lbs) x 6
    40kg(95lbs) x 6
    60kg(135lbs) x 4
    80kg(175lbs) x 3
    70kg(155lbs) x5
    75kg(165lbs) x 5 x 3

Bit of dicking around as I hadn't done front squats in a while so was trying to get my form back on track. Was aiming for 3x5 but 80kg felt too heavy and 70kg felt too light so I went for the happy medium.

Press
    40kg(95lbs) x 5 x 3

Pressing is feeling a little bit stronger, definitely something I want to improve.

Weighted Chinups
    BW x 4
    BW + 12kg(25lbs) x 1
    BW + 16kg(35lbs) x 1
    BW + 24kg(55lbs) x 0
    BW + 20kg(45lbs) x 1
    BW + 16kg(35lbs) x 2

Never done weighted chins before, curious to see how heavy I could go, I was pretty close to getting the 24kg but couldn't get close at the top. I'm weighing in at about 90kg (200lbs) atm.

Snatch
    40kg(95lbs) x 4
    50kg(110lbs) x 3
    60kg(135lbs) x FAIL a bunch of times

It's funny because 40/50kg feels so easy but 60kg kicks my ass. Still squatting a bit high. I love snatch. There, I said it.

Probably going to do more strength work today as my throat/chest still quite dry and irritated. No massive cardio work atm thanks.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:38 AM.
    My Journal

Strength Work 2/6/09

Weighted Chins
    BW + 24kg (55lbs) x 1

Just wanted to get it 'cos I missed it yesterday and knew it was within reach haha. I'll probably try start doing these for a bit of volume soon.

Deadlift
    Bar x However many
    60kg(135lbs) x 6
    100kg(220lbs) x 4
    120kg(265lbs) x 5reps x 3sets

Still working out keeping my back tight, wasn't 100% sure how good I was but feeling tighter. Didn't have a camera so I'll have to post a video up of my next session. Trying to get a bit more volume in as well.

Ring Dips
    BW x 5 x 3

Really happy with my progression on these, all reps were to full depth (bicep touching top of the ring).

Bent Row
    40kg(95lbs) x 8
    50kg(110lbs) x 8

Just working on strengthening up my back

Still feeling sick, so no hard breathing. Was getting winded doing a bit of light skipping to warm up.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    My Journal

Good job... Nice weighted chins and I can't wait till I start doing snatch too.

The WOD's look terrible lol Great job in nailing them.

How are you eating?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Rock Climbing

Just mucked around in the gym for a few hours, did the blue overhang again which is probably the most physically challenging climb for me atm. I might try throw a video up of me doing it one day.

Afterwards was mucking around and managed to squeeze out 10 consecutive chinups with little to no kip. Might have pulled my legs up a bit for the last few reps however.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Good job... Nice weighted chins and I can't wait till I start doing snatch too.

The WOD's look terrible lol Great job in nailing them.

How are you eating?
    Cheers Dan, I'm looking forward to getting over this cough and getting back at them.

Eating to be honest could be better as I don't follow a strict diet plan such as yours, but at the same time isn't that bad. I don't really eat any McDonalds or anything like that, usually just a 6inch sub from Subway if I have to eat takeout. I don't eat chocolate or drink alcohol / soft drink.

At the moment trying to lose a bit more fat so trying to keep eating relatively healthy and just reduce portion sizes. I could probably do with eating more lean meat though.
    My Journal

Awesome stuff in here man...

CrossFit is pretty ****in' brutal, huh?

WOD

Front Squats
    5x3

70kg(155lbs)
    80kg(175lbs)
    80kg(175lbs)
    90kg(200lbs)
    90kg(200lbs)

I may have been able to get heavier weights up but I was starting to lose form and I'm trying to stay rock solid at the moment. Not a bad session, I'm starting to like front squats.

Rock Climbing
    Did two overhanging climbs as well as mucking around on a few more difficult slab climbs. Really gave it my all in this session, did a lot of different climbs and was trying to keep the intensity up. I'm always pretty chilled out and cruisy at climbing but I think I might try jack the intensity up in a few sessions from now on to see if it will help my gains.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-04-2009 at 06:39 AM.
    My Journal

So who's programming are you using?

Very solid in here my friend with those CF workouts.
    You also have very good strength so just keep it up. I'm liking the consistency!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Cheers Goodwinm I'm far from repping your numbers but nothing to it but to do it right?

@Chubrock: I train out of Crossfit Norwest (www.crossfitnorwest.com).
    My Journal

Hey man, good to see you focusing on strength training lately. I don't know how crossfit is periodized (and circuits named after girls?) so I'm pretty much clueless whenever I look at your journal. You might wanna think about coming over to the dark side and join me in the quest for absolute strength

WOD 5/6/09

Chin Chin Cheroo!

Ten rounds for time of:
    3 Weighted Pull-ups, 20kg (Scaled to 10kg)
    5 Strict Pull-ups
    7 Kipping Pull-up

Time - 33:20

Damn hard workout, especially considering I've gone rock climbing twice this week as well as doing weighted chinups/chinups a few times this week. Hopefully will go much faster next time I'm fresh. Ended up pulling two calluses off as well which freaking sucks.
    My Journal

WOD's!

*Crossfit Games @ Crossfit BodyM*
    Just a bit of an intra-affiliate meet for something to do and to help promote the sport a bit more in Australia.

1st heat

AMRAP in 10 Minutes
    5 Ring Dips
    5 24kg KB Swings
    5 Burpees

Total - 3 Rounds, completed up swings of 4th round.

Holy crap I got gassed by ring rips on this workout, I think I did about 20 half reps. Swings were almost non-existent, I may as well have been standing there they were that easy but burpees+dips smashed me. I would have liked to have gotten a higher score but keeping things relative, it wasn't too long ago that I was still scaling dips with a band so I'm still happy with my progress.

2nd heat

3 Rounds for time
    30 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
    400m Run

Time - 11:38

This was a hard workout but I loved it as I was only held back by my metabolic conditioning, not my strength. I haven't been able to do any aerobic work all week due to a cold so it felt good (terrible at the time) to be able to smash myself like this again! Form was a bit sloppy by the 3rd set but I felt like I was keeping my trunk fairly solid, more just using too much arms.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-07-2009 at 06:15 AM.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    WOD's!

*Crossfit Games @ Crossfit BodyM*
    Just a bit of an intra-affiliate meet for something to do and to help promote the sport a bit more in Australia.

1st heat

AMRAP in 10 Minutes
    5 Ring Dips
    5 24kg KB Swings
    5 Burpees

Total - 3 Rounds, completed up swings of 4th round.

Holy crap I got gassed by ring rips on this workout, I think I did about 20 half reps. Swings were almost non-existent, I may as well have been standing there they were that easy but burpees+dips smashed me. I would have liked to have gotten a higher score but keeping things relative, it wasn't too long ago that I was still scaling dips with a band so I'm still happy with my progress.

2nd heat

3 Rounds for time
    30 Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
    400m Run

Time - 11:38

This was a hard workout but I loved it as I was only held back by my metabolic conditioning, not my strength. I haven't been able to do any aerobic work all week due to a cold so it felt good (terrible at the time) to be able to smash myself like this again! Form was a bit sloppy by the 3rd set but I felt like I was keeping my trunk fairly solid, more just using too much arms.
    Ahhh crossfit is tough. That is sick man good job!
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com