The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

WOD

Grace

For Time:
    30 Clean & Jerk's
    60kg (135lbs)

Time - 7:38

This was pretty hard, I tried to maintain form through every rep. I was only doing powercleans as I knew I wouldn't maintain form if I tried to do full cleans. I was considering dropping down to 50kg to get a more competitive time but I am happy I stayed at 60 and not to sound cocky but I think I am one of the only guys that kept strict form.

Strength Work

Deadlifts
    5x1
    Pushups
    3x15

Did 140kg a few times, on one or two sets I did 2-3 reps if I felt I could squeeze out more. I think I'm getting better at keeping my back tight and will post up some videos as soon as I can get a hold of the damn digital camera!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

This is Rob, the head trainer at CFNorwest and my good mate.

Video

200kg x 5 Deadlift.
    This was his 2nd of 3 sets

Not a bad lift, especially considering he'd done a Sub 2 minute grace about 20 minutes prior. One of my training idols for sure.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 02:01 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Holy ****. He just did my max for 5. How much does he weigh?
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com

About 92kg (200-210lbs) I think, pretty strong boy haha.
    My Journal

WOD

Four rounds for time:
    800m Run
    (1/2 Mile)
    Each run has an individual time, rest as needed between sets.

Best Time - 2:26

Not sure how accurate our "800m track" is but I smashed myself on every effort anyway. None of my times were about 2:35 and we rested an average of 5 minutes between runs. This hammered me.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-09-2009 at 03:49 AM.
    My Journal

@Dracoy

Oh btw dude I asked Rob today, he said he's 87kg (190lbs).
    My Journal

Damn bro, that's a helluva 800m time. I haven't ran it in awhile, but my best prior time was like 3:08. I'm sure I'm faster now, but damn 2:26 is rolling.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Yeah I'm not exactly sure if the track is the right length mate, so don't quote me on that. I'd like to hit a real track and time it just for ****s and giggles, I'm no runner though so there's no rush haha.
    My Journal

Strength Work 09/06/2009

Bench Press
    5x5
    70kg (155lbs)

Felt a bit easier this time, tried to do a decent pause on a few reps as well. Did some other exercises but they were primarily lame bodybuilding ones so shan't bother to post em.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-10-2009 at 05:51 AM.
    My Journal

1645 - 1800
    Rock Climbing

Did a little bit of lead climbing tonight, it's still a massive head**** for me but I really want to push through the fear. Lead the blue 18 to the 4th draw I think before I wigged out. Going to try for 5th or 6th draw next week.

1815 - 1900
    WOD

Back Squat
    5x5

80(175), 90(200), 100(220) (5RM PR), 100, 100.

Heaps happy with the PR, came in feeling strong and told myself no matter what that I was going to hit that weight today. I felt my form was pretty good and I believe I'll have a video of the 2nd set of 100 up soon. I love it when the WOD is strength work >.<

1900-1930
    Strength Work
    Press
    3x4
    45kg(100lbs)
    OH Squats
    50kg(110lbs)
    4 reps, 7 reps

Press as always because I suck at it and have shoulders like a brown snake. Overhead squats because Chubrock has been smashing them and they're about the only exercise I'm going to catch Rob on anytime soon (Rob is the bloke deadlifting in the video above).
    Last edited by tomv; 06-10-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    My Journal

Nice PRs Tom. OH work definately blows, hell you OH press more than me!

Bull**** Risk, you're a ****ing monster. I'd trade my OH Press for your DL / Squats ;-)

Thanks though mate
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Press as always because I suck at it and have shoulders like a brown snake. Overhead squats because Chubrock has been smashing them and they're about the only exercise I'm going to catch Rob on anytime soon (Rob is the bloke deadlifting in the video above).

Haha I still haven't gotten any good with them, but I'm slowly getting there. I used to suck REALLY bad at them.

WOD 12/6/09

Power Cleans 7x1

60(135lbs), 70(155lbs), 80(175lbs), 80(175lbs), 75(165lbs), 70, 70

I got the 80 up on to my shoulders but it was bloody ugly. 75 wasn't much cleaner but the 70 kg wasn't too bad. Don't think I'll note the 80 as a PR because it was absolutely **** form. Gotta EXPLODE AT THE HIP and SHOULDERS TO EARS!

Extra Work

AMRAP in 20 Minutes
    5 Ring Dips
    5 24kg KB Swings
    5 Burpees

Total - 6 Rounds, completed up swings of 7th round.
    My Journal

WOD's

80m Tyre Flips (~190kg tyre)
    500m Row
    300m Farmers Walk / 24kg KB in each hand

Time - 8:26

Holy crap what a bastard of a workout. The tyre flips smash your guts, your arms and your legs, the Row hammers your arms, your legs, your back and then the farms walks hammer your forearms, legs and shoulders! I was pretty happy with my time and I think if I get a bit better at rowing / flipping I can shave 30 seconds off. About 1 hr rest till the next workout

21 Wall Balls (9kg Ball)
    15 Burpees
    9 Heaves (Chest to Bar)

Time - 11:04

This was another filthy workout. I didn't mind the Wall balls so much, they were hard but I can crank them out fairly well. Burpees made a girl out of me though, my legs were like jelly. The heaves weren't too bad, Kez (a bloke I train with) showed me a good way to get a bit more height by using an alternating grip so that helped out. Speeding up burpees and heaves will help me a lot here.
    My Journal

Who you callin' Clown? TUEFELHUNDEN's Avatar
    Those WODS are tough Tom. Great times though for sure!!
    Goal = IM 70.3 Racine 2010 (Sub 5 hour)
    LOG----->http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...58#post2079858

Tire flips is one of the exercises I REALLY want to do, but no tires here.
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com

Strength Work

Back Squats
    Warmup
    40kg(95lbs) x 6
    60kg(135lbs) x 5
    80kg(175lbs) x 4

3x5
    100kg (220lbs)
    used for all sets

Muscle Up Practice
    5-6 Attempts

Got to the gym early and did Strength work first and considering strength is a big priority of mine I may see if I can continue this pattern when possible. The squats were pretty good, fairly slow on the last few reps but my form felt solid. Will be interesting to see what my 1RM is up to, as I've been trying to do heavy squats at least once a week recently. Muscle ups are getting better and better, I'm going to keep practicing them and hope to be able to do them consistently within the month. I was getting quite high tonight, almost finishing the transition but needing just a bit more power.

WOD

3 rounds for time
    15 Dead lift @ BW (90kg - 200lbs)
    12 Thrusters 60kg (Scaled to 50kg - 110lbs)
    9 Burpees
    6 Box Jumps
    3 Muscle Ups (Substituted 2 Chest height pullups on rings & 1 Ring Dip per Muscle Up)

Time - 20:19

This workout was brutal. Being 100% honest my form on thrusters was bull****. I hate the movement and had nothing in my legs after the strength work / deadlifts. Next time I will drop the weight and do proper, deep squats (this time it was almost like a deep push press...). I got smashed but at least I didn't have to run hahaha.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-15-2009 at 03:57 AM.
    My Journal

Damn man, awesome workout.

Good job on the squats and muscleups look like SUPER hard!!

WOD looks gruelling too. I love those crossfit type workouts, they look horrible but you just know they are doing you the world of good.

I got a lot of time for doing cardio and not having to run!!!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

WOD

Diane
    21-15-9
    100kg(220lb) Deadlift
    Handstand Pushups (scaled with 4x5kg plate and 1x1.25kg plate under head)

Time - 13:29

I ****ing hate handstand pushups. I also hate high rep deadlifts, I never feel like I'm keeping a good back angle and should probably just slow down and take my time... I hate diane.
    HSPU are going to be a staple movement that will be practiced at least 2 times a week. I suck at them.
    My Journal

Nice work with Diane. I'm in agreement. I hate any workout with high rep DLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Nice work with Diane. I'm in agreement. I hate any workout with high rep DLs.
    Yeah mate, I think next time I'm going to do a narrow sumo stance deadlift (where my feet aren't actually that wide and my arms go inside my legs). I just feel that I'm much better at maintaining a good posture like this. I'd rather stay injury free and sacrifice a little bit of carry over.
    My Journal

WOD

4 Rounds for Time
    35m Walking lunges, hugging a 20kg(45lb) plate.
    Box Jump, 30 reps
    15kg Weighted pull-ups, 20 reps
    (scaled to 5kg)

Time - 23:38

This was a pretty hard session. I was mucking around doing deadlifts before hand, did approximately 3 sets of 6 with 100kg. It's not massive weight for me but mate I needed everything I could get out of my legs tonight! Lunges hammered everything from glutes to quads and box jumps finished off the calves and hips. I'm pretty happy with my effort, it was awesome to race with Dan even if the bugger did beat me in the end! Practiced Handstand pushups after the WOD as well. I tried to do as many reps as possible (usually around 4) for about 4-5 sets. I had 7 wooden plates underneath my head. I WILL get better at these.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-17-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    My Journal

What's the height on those box jumps? I may do that workout later today.

Oh yea, you forgot to mention that the WOD was 4 rounds of the above.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 06-17-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Haha how did you know it was 4 rounds? and thanks man.

Box jump height iiiiiiis about 18 inches I think? I'll check next time i'm in.
    My Journal