Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Haha how did you know it was 4 rounds? and thanks man.

Box jump height iiiiiiis about 18 inches I think? I'll check next time i'm in.

Haha I'm getting into law enforcement. I get paid to snoop around.

As for the WOD, I did it with a 20" box and 16kg KB in 27:42. The chinups slowed me down more than anything, though the lunge to box jump sucked as well.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Haha I'm getting into law enforcement. I get paid to snoop around.

As for the WOD, I did it with a 20" box and 16kg KB in 27:42. The chinups slowed me down more than anything, though the lunge to box jump sucked as well.
    Ah clever boy.

Hahaha I know what you mean with the lunge to box jump. You went to jump and just felt like you had nothing in your legs?

That's a quick time though mate, good work!
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Strength Work 20/6/09

Bench Press
    70 (155) x 5
    70 (155) x 5
    75 (165) x 3
    80 (175) x 1
    85 (185) x 1 PR
    85 (185) x 1

Squat
    60 (135) x 6
    60 (135) x 5
    80 (175) x 5
    100 (220) x 3
    110 (240) x 3
    110 (240) x 3

All this was done at North Sydney PCYC as opposed to my usual gym of Crossfit Norwest. It was awesome and very humbling to train in an environment where you were by FAR the weakest person. I'm happy with my bench PR as again it's been attained with pretty much no benching since I last hit one. I also noticed that I'm twisting my body a bit when I squat, so I'm going to try and take some videos in the upcoming days to work out exactly when / where I'm twisting and try and iron that out ASAP.

I've also decided to try and get on the Zone diet as soon as possible. I want to progress and get stronger, faster better all that jazz and at the moment whilst my diet is alright, it's not as good as it could be. Time to shape up and squeeze out all that I can!
    Last edited by tomv; 06-21-2009 at 05:04 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

WOD

"Mutant Fran"
    21, 15, 9
    40kg Thrusters
    24kg KB Swings (Scaled to 20kg due to lack of equipment)
    Heaves
    400m Run

Time - 17:13

This was done out at CF Penrith and was a lot of fun! Tried to go to parallel on all my thrusters (I was being a bit of a slydog before and staying a bit higher) and tried to kip on the heaves though there was no chalk at the gym so the bar was pretty bloody terrible to grip with. Great WOD, great day.

Also got to watch Every Second Counts, the movie covering the 2008 CF Games. Pretty interesting to watch and I thought it was quite funny that no one was watching Jason Khalipa and he came through in a big upset victory. Quality.

Diet was pretty ****ty, trying to work out and plan a Zone week for myself.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-21-2009 at 05:08 AM.
    My Journal

Stick with Paleo bro. The is pretty decent for portion control, but I've found I get far better results by cutting my carb intake and upping my fat levels. Paleo uses both of these.

You reckon Paleo over Zone? Is Paleo easier to plan / do?
    My Journal

Much, much easier. Eat meat, nuts (almonds, macadamia), only green leafy veggies, and the fruits you eat end in berry (blue, black, ras, straw). That's pretty much it, in its simplest form.

Hmmm... that sounds simple enough and fairly easy to follow (though I hate all those fruits) haha. Any good sites just for a bit of further reading?

Thanks for this btw mate.
    My Journal

No problems man. I basically use a hybrid nutrition split between The Paleo Diet (TPD) and a carb cycling split used by Shelby Starnes. The first link is how I set up the basics of the split. I use Starne's recommendations for low carb/high carb days as well as his guidelines for fat and protein intake. The second link is to a FAQ section on The Paleo Diet. Other than my high carb days, I attempt to align all my food selections with the recommendations set forth by TPD (ie lean meat, almonds, blueberries etc).

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/carb_cycling_mma.htm
    http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/

If you have any questions, let me know.

Oh my ****ing god. Diets and ****? Baaaaaaahhhhhhhhh....

*Opens secret stash of oreos.* Omnomnomnomnomnom.

Haha one day I will be a PL Risk, but for now it's CrossFit and celery sticks till I puke :P
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    No problems man. I basically use a hybrid nutrition split between The Paleo Diet (TPD) and a carb cycling split used by Shelby Starnes. The first link is how I set up the basics of the split. I use Starne's recommendations for low carb/high carb days as well as his guidelines for fat and protein intake. The second link is to a FAQ section on The Paleo Diet. Other than my high carb days, I attempt to align all my food selections with the recommendations set forth by TPD (ie lean meat, almonds, blueberries etc).

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/carb_cycling_mma.htm
    http://www.thepaleodiet.com/faqs/

If you have any questions, let me know.
    LAME, you can't eat dairy? I ****in' love dairy! Just lite milk don't even care about anything else so much haha. Do you take why protein while on this diet mate? What are you eating on high carb days?
    My Journal

I don't follow Paleo to the T. I still allow some dairy and some forbidden fruits haha. My protein intake is mainly either Nitrean, or for a breakfast combo I'll down two scoops of Muscle Milk.

My high carb days are roughly 5 meals with 70-80g of carbs per meal. I usually use Kashi Whole Grain Waffles for the first two meals, Waxy Maize for the 3rd, fruit for the 4th and either more fruit or brown rice for the last meal. Per Starne's instructions, my fat intake is extremely low on these days. Usually grilled chicken breast, and nitrean are my only protein sources. No cheese, nuts, butter or any additives like that.

Thanks heaps Chub, I'm going to look in to starting this diet next week (we only shop once a week and I don't really have the foods to work it out now).

For now I'm going to try and keep eating as Paleo as possible (little bread / rice) and get more accustomed to more vegetables. And eggs lol.
    My Journal

Strength Work

HSPU to 8 Wooden Plates
    3 x 6

Ring Dips
    4 x 6

Press @ 45kg (100lbs)
    3 x 3

Kipping Practice

I suck at pressing. Real bad. I can't do HSPU for **** and my ring dips normally die pretty quickly. It was a rest day but I've been trying to do additional strength work on Mon / Wed / Fri. HSPU I'm trying to keep my body in a straight line with legs held tight together and no bend in my back. Ring dips felt pretty good and Press was hard.
    My Journal

Sounds good man. Make sure you keep your fats high, especially in conjunction with the drop in your carbo intake. If not, you'll end up feeling like ass.

You certainly have some interesting routines. Never heard of lots of those
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com

Thats quite odd that Paleo has no Dairy, Cheese has no carbs. I can understand the milk/yoghurt, but cheese is fine.

@Dracoy:
    Haha yeah there is sometime so odd movements but I'm loving them all.
    HSPU = Handstand Pushups
    Ring Dips = Dips on "gymnastic" rings
    Press = Standing Barbell Press

@Risk
    Yeah I couldn't do full Paleo mate, I love milk too ****ing much. Thus I'm going to try eat Paleo... with milk. I imagine I'll still see some results and maybe I'll eventually move in to doing zone.
    My Journal

WOD

1 minute max pullups (20 Reps)
    5min max burpees (Approx. 45 Reps)
    1 min max kettlebell swings 24kg (17 Reps)
    5 min max burpees (Approx. 40 Reps)
    1 min max pull ups (12 Reps)

Total - 132

This sucked.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-23-2009 at 03:54 AM.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    Thats quite odd that Paleo has no Dairy, Cheese has no carbs. I can understand the milk/yoghurt, but cheese is fine.

The Paleo Diet is more about food selection thing than carb intake. Granted the carb intake level is drastically lower than most other "diets" but true goal is to move away from heavily processed foods and more towards a diet centered around the whole hunter/gatherer idea. Basically if you couldn't hunt, grow it or pick it, they typically don't recommend it.

The WOD's look awesome. I may get onto doing them some time in the future once I feel comfortable with my form on stuff.

Your last WOD looks brutal - good job! I'd love to also get doing some box jumps - how long have you been doing them for?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

WOD

Crossfit Total!
    Combined total weight of your 1RM for the following lifts:
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlift
    Only 3 attempts are allowed at each lift.

Squat
    120kg (265lbs) PR
    Press
    55kg (120lbs)
    Deadlift
    160kg (355lbs) PR

Didn't eat the best today so was going in to this feeling a bit iffy. I went for 130kg on the squats but lost it coming out of the hole. I was happy enough with 120kg. Press sucked hard, it always does. I would have liked to have put up more weight but I did do a Bench PR on Saturday, heaps of heavy pressing work on Monday and then approximately 80 pushups last night (which is a lot for me). Deadlift I was happy but not really happy. I've almost gotten 160 before and I've been trying to do a little bit of strength work to bring it up. I hit PR's but I wanted to hit them harder.

On the 6th of July I will be commencing a Strength Bias Crossfit Program and will post up an overview of the programming before I begin.
    My Journal

Just realised you switched onto a new page and I looked at one of your WOD's from a short while ago. Sorry about that!

Good job on the 120KG squat - still a solid number. I'm gonna chase you on that number
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Congrats on the PR's!

That other WOD above looks horrifying!
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14