Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Squats
    82.5kg(185lbs) x 20

This was done for simply to do it more then anything. It was hard, but I think I could stand to go 87.5/90kg next time. Had a bit of jelly legs afterwards though haha.

Press
    3x5 @ 50kg(110lbs)

Felt strong in the Press today, feeling stronger in general. This is good as I love the lift.

Short but sweet session, got my ass home to shower and head in to the citaaaaaaay.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Week 1
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 95kg(210lbs)

Press
    1x1 @ 55kg(120lbs)

Romanian Deadlift
    3x8 @ 50kg(110lbs)

Ring Dips
    3x5

Pretty cruisy session, squat form is still iffy. I need to drive my knees out hard, I'm not confident hitting depth without a guide and I definitely need more flexible shoulders. Press was good, went up pretty quick for what used to be a 1RM. RDL's felt maybe a bit too light but are going to get heavier every week and I felt my form was pretty good on them. Ring Dips were good, no shoulder discomfort (which I had been experiencing a little bit on occasion).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

LuNa
    Nice work Tom. 5x5 on squats seems like hell, i cant imagine going for 2 more sets after my 3x5. Im liking the work.

Week 1
    Wednesday

Front Squats
    3x3 @ 75kg(165lbs)

Power Cleans
    3x3 @ 75kg(165lbs)

Chinups
    10, 8, 6

Pushups
    20, 15, 11

Planks
    3x30 seconds.

-Front Squats were alright, need to make sure I hit depth and don't hyper extend my lumbar spine (bad form habit that a mate noticed yesterday. FLEX THE ABS!)

-Power Cleans were horrible, felt like I had a sprained / inflamed tendon in my elbow. May have been because I was shovelling / using a wheelbarrow a fair bit yesterday at work. May have been because of the extreme flexion when I rack the weight. Either way, weight will be dropped to 65-70kg as this was a bit too difficult.

-Chinups were done with 3 minutes rest between each set and all strict form. May bump it up to 3:30 in an effort to get to my goal of 3x10. Thoughts?

-Pushups, same deal as chinups.
    My Journal

Week 1
    Friday

Squats
    2x1 @ 125kg(275lbs)

Weighted Dips
    1x5 @ BW+5kg

Deadlifts
    1x5 @ 130kg(285lbs)

Press
    3x3 @ 47.5kg(105lbs)

-Squat was meant to be 1x1 but the first single was terrible. I didn't set up properly, didn't stay focused in the lift and it was much harder than it needed to be. Did a second single and was much happier with it.

-Dips give me a pain in my left shoulder that goes away after ceasing them. It's a dull ache and I'm not really sure what the cause is, this could be a problem as they are a pretty big staple in my training.

-Deadlifts were alright, got the weight up but would like to videotape them next time to check my form and such. Tried to stick to the form I learnt earlier in the week.

-Press was easy, as it was meant to be.
    My Journal

Week 2
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 97.5kg(215lbs)

Press
    1x2 @ 55kg(120lbs)

Romanian Deadlift
    3x8 @ 57.5kg(125lbs)

Weighted Dips
    3x5 @ BW+3kg

Planks
    3x30 Seconds

-Squats felt pretty good, I made sure to warm up fully before starting. Depth was a bit iffy but I try not to push it too much as I feel like I lose my arch too much. Thinking about making a small box and starting to squat to that so that I know I'm always hitting depth (and also to try and strengthen posterior chain more).

-Press was good, this was my 1RM not too long ago, I don't think this is enough volume though so I might start doing 2x3 or something and still try go heavy as possible.

-RDL's felt good, very taxing on my hands as I was using a Snatch Grip, I will probably alternate between this and regular grip. I was mindful to flex my abs hard to maintain a good spinal position.

-Weighted Dips felt much better tonight then last Friday. I tried a few unweighted ones to test and they felt alright so I added the (small) weight. I've found one particular stretch really helps to get rid of the minor dull ache so I will just continue to do that and stop if the pain resurfaces.
    My Journal

Nice workout tom, impressive on the Over Head Press. What type of routine are you doing? It looks like an SS variation.

It's another Rippetoe program, called the Texas Method. It's fairly similar to Starting Strength but designed for slightly more intermediate lifters. I'm not sure I'm one of them yet but I also don't think I could add 2.5kg to my squat each workout haha.
    My Journal

lol.

You gotta become an intermediate at some stage. It'll be good to track your progress for this, I might try this after I'm done with SS. Although something tells me Ripps TM is another strength based routine. I think I'll want a size orientated one after I've got the strength base from SS.

Week 2
    Wednesday

Front Squats
    3x3 @ 77.5kg(170lbs)

Chinups
    10, 8, 6

Pushups
    20, 13, 12

Bent Row
    3x8 @ 50kg(110lbs

Planks
    3x30 seconds

Stretching

-Front squats were good, my depth is still a bit iffy, I am probably just barely hitting parallel but I find if I go any lower I completely lose lordosis.
    -I was meant to do Power Cleans next but I have had sore elbows/wrists all weak and thought it unwise to test. I subbed Bent Rows in instead.
    -Chinups were good, I got the same number of reps as last week but with a reduced rest time.
    -Pushups, reps were slightly reduced from last week but again was done with a reduced rest time.
    -Bent Rows were subbed in for Power Cleans and put after Chinups so as not to affect them. I would like to have some kind of rowing movement in my program so I may have to put it in on Friday or Monday.
    -Planks were good, quite challenging when you are focusing on flexing your abs the whole time. I had a 9kg Med Ball placed on my back for the last set and I think that instead of upping the time I will stick with 30 seconds and progressively add weight.
    My Journal

Hey mate, just read you post in Unholy's journal... do you have links for the journal? cheers.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboy View Post
    Hey mate, just read you post in Unholy's journal... do you have links for the journal? cheers.
    I think that is the journal .

^^..
    My Journal

Ahh I get ya.

Cheers mate.

Week 2
    Friday

Squats
    1x5 @ 107.5kg(235lbs)

Weighted Dips
    1x5 @ BW+10kg

Deadlifts
    1x5 @ 132.5kg(290lbs)

Press
    3x5 @ 50kg(110lbs)

Planks
    3x30 seconds

-Squats were good, I hadn't initially planned to do a simple 1x5 (instead 1x1, 1x2, 1x3 as the weeks progress) but I think 5 is a more appropriate volume for my current training level. Depth may have been a bit iffy.

-Ring dips were good, no shoulder pain and a bit of a struggle on the last rep. This was only meant to be 7.5kg but I'd left my training journal at home and forgot. I may be able to rig some kind of benching apparatus at my gym so these may not be as common.

-Deadlifts felt pretty solid, was trying to tense my back hard and get a strong hip extension.

-Press was actually meant to be 3x5@47.5kg but without my training journal... 3x5@50kg was a struggle but I may still try 3x3@52.5kg next week, see how I go?

Overall a good session, I watched the movie "Never Back Down" today and whilst it's a cheesy movie it really made me want to try and learn some kind of submission Martial Art (e.g. BJJ or Freestyle Wrestling).
    My Journal

Nice little workout there. How's the TM going for you?

'Never Back Down' is a good movie don't let the haters tell you otherwise.

TM seems to be going good so far, I may through in one or two short conditioning or gymnastic-type workouts in the week though... It's really weird going from training 5 days a week to 3 days a week haha. Hard to make a good assessment though as I'm only 2 weeks in.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    TM seems to be going good so far, I may through in one or two short conditioning or gymnastic-type workouts in the week though... It's really weird going from training 5 days a week to 3 days a week haha. Hard to make a good assessment though as I'm only 2 weeks in.
    Haha, i had the same probelm. I always trained 5 days a week, now i only do 3. It hell feels like your undertraining to start with but noooooooooo Squat'n 3 days a week and increasing weights regularly beats anything - seriously My legs have copt'd a hammering my first week on the program. Only another 10 weeks or so to go! Well as long as i can go milking the routine. Good luck with your training tom, will keep posted.

benno.

LuNa
    I went from working out 0 days to 3 so i feel like im overtraining. Do you like volume day Tom? Its the only reason i dont want to switch to the TM, due to that volume day.

Volume day for me is still only equates to something like... 10 sets. I'm considering changing to Bill Starr's 5x5 Intermediate (might be called MadCows... I'm not sure). It's really not an issue so far.
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Volume day for me is still only equates to something like... 10 sets. I'm considering changing to Bill Starr's 5x5 Intermediate (might be called MadCows... I'm not sure). It's really not an issue so far.
    Nice efforts man! Yea MadCow = Bill Starrs Intermediate. Madcow is the perfect follow up for Texas Method. Ill be on Madcow after 2-3 more plateaus/deloads on Texas Method. I really love TM though... Ive made the best gains on that compared to any other routine. Madcow is literally the very next step in complexity after TM.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Week 3
    Monday

Squats
    5x5 @ 100kg(220lbs)

Press
    1x5 @ 55kg(120lbs)

Snatch Grip RDL's
    3x8 @ 60kg(135lbs)

Weighted Dips
    3x5 @ BW+5kg

Planks
    3x30 seconds (9kg Med Ball on back for first two sets)

-I was not expecting a lot from this training session, I got 3.5 hours sleep the night before and then spent approximately 8 hours digging ditches and pouring concrete at work. I was pleasantly surprised

-Squats were good, the last two sets were quite hard but I got them out alright.

-Press was a 5RM, I may leave it at this weight / reps next week.

-RDL's were good, trying to focus on driving the hips back and feeling it in my hamstrings.

-Dips were good, only slight discomfort around right trap near lockout.

-Planks were hard and good.

-I've begun tracking my hours of sleep, my food intake and my weight every morning in order to get more feedback on what is and isn't working and why.
    My Journal

LuNa
    Nice effort Tom. I think going into more detail about your diet and sleep patterns is a great idea.

I like the squats, five sets to me seems brutal. What are your goals for the moment?

good stuff, Texas Method is a nice program

@Luna - Goals are really to take Texas Method as far as I can and then move on to Bill Starr's 5x5. I'd like a 100/140/180 Bench/Squat/Deadlift by the end of the year so I will just keep plugging away at it!

@Johnnyo - Yeah thanks mate, I'm really enjoying it and so far every week I've been able to show up and put more weight in the bar which I'm really happy with! Your training is looking great yourself mate.
    Last edited by tomv; 09-21-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    My Journal