The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TomV's Journal

Hybrid View

TomV's Journal

G'day All,

New to the boards and got advised to start up a log so I can get advice on training. Currently doing Crossfit at Crossfit Norwest as well as trying to do Strength Training 3 times a week. I've got my first powerlifting comp in October (Sydney Open I believe?) and would like to have something close to a 400kg total by then.

Goals are:

4 PPS DL (3 reps)
    3 PPS Squat (3 reps)
    2 PPS Bench (3 reps)
    Full ROM handstand pushups (1 rep)
    80kg Overhead Squat (1 rep)
    80kg Snatch (1 rep)
    100kg C&J (1 rep)
    Better times on all named WODS
    Compete in the Sydney Open Powerlifting Competition and get a 400kg Total.
    Visible abs by the middle of the year.

Crossfit Named WOD scores so far:

Crossfit Total
    335kg (120SQ,55P,160DL)
    Fight Gone Bad
    Fran
    11:15
    Angie
    32:18
    Cindy
    5 rounds
    Mr Joshua
    37:14 (100kg DL)
    Nicole
    48 Pullups/3.6km Run
    Grace
    7:38

Lifts

Squats
    Squat
    (1RM)125kg (31/7/09)
    (3RM)115kg
    (5RM)100kg
    Front Squat
    (3RM)90kg
    (5RM)80kg
    Overhead Squat
    (1RM)70kg
    (3RM)60kg

Pulls
    Deadlift
    (1RM)172.5kg (31/7/09)
    (5RM)150kg

Presses
    Press
    (1RM)55kg
    (5RM)45kg
    Bench
    (1RM)85kg
    Ring Dips
    (1RM)BW + 22kg = 112kg (31/7/09)
    (5RM)BW + 8kg

Weightlifting
    Clean & Jerk
    (1RM)80kg
    Snatch
    (1RM)60kg
    Power Clean
    (1RM)85kg

Gymnastic
    Consecutive Chins
    10 Reps
    Consecutive Muscle-ups
    1 Rep

Miscellaneous
    10Km Run
    1:00:34
    5Km Run
    24:56
    Last edited by tomv; 07-31-2009 at 10:31 PM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First reply! Good to see you decided to make a journal. Good luck with your goals, and I'll make sure to check your progress.

Wassup MPB, thanks much for the first post. I'll try make sure I'm posting goals for when you check ;-).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Ahh my one weakness, KG weights
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com

Haha 1kg=2.2lbs
    My Journal

Hmmm well had a crossfit session tonight
    (22nd March)
    5x3 Front Squat.
    70, 75, 80, 85, 85

and on the 9th of Feb had a similar session
    5x5 Front Squat
    60, 65, 67.5, 70, 80

That's two sessions about 1.5 months apart and I'm not terribly happy with the strength gain. Yes I ramped up the weights quicker this time but I was also doing less reps so I think that pretty much cancels out. I also hadn't trained for a day prior to this so I was pretty fresh.
    Thus I've decided to try and make myself a 3 month strength and power program (maybe some size too). Going to keep doing crossfit for maybe a week whilst I try and formulate a program for myself and then start trying to track my progress through that.
    Whilst doing crossfit my cardio ability has increased a ton, as has my anaerobic work capacity (it feels like it anyway). I'm not happy with my strength and power development however. Whilst I enjoy having a good cardiovascular system I train more so for strength and size.
    I also feel that it holds me back in doing better at some of the wods (I can still only crank out say 5x5 chinups and about 2 ring dips which is no where near satisfactory to be competitive in the WODs).
    My Journal

Whilst I enjoy having a good cardiovascular system I train more so for strength and size.
    Same here, how much cardio do you do?
    Workout Journal!

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show....php?p=2106173

Personal Website for MOTIVATION:

http://www.yanyanxu.com

Well I'm currently doing crossfit so it's kind of inherently involved. Steady state cardio not that much really but a lot of shorter interval kind of stuff. Unfortunately though again because of my strength a workout that should take me 15-20 minutes ends up taking far longer because I have to break down sets in to 1-2 reps at a time. (e.g. set of 30 chinups or something some people can break in to 15x2 mine ends up being 5-5-5-5-3-3-2-2-2 or something like that). I also do a bit of cycling to and from the train station 2-3 times a week so for now I'm pretty happy to have that be my "cardio" (approximately 20 minute ride one way).
    My Journal

WOD

Push Press 7x1

60(135), 65(145), 70(155), 75(165), 80F(175), 80F(175), 70(155)
    F indicates a failed attempt.

I was pretty happy with my performance in this workout, I feel like I've got half decent technique when it comes to push press so it lets me beat some of the stronger boys who I train with. I actually failed 80 about 4 times as I retried it after missing once or twice and most of the time I got it over my head and locked out but I just couldn't stabilise.
    As of Monday next week I'll be going on to a more strength oriented routine and making more posts to track my progress. If I'm doing something I want to make sure it works!
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 12:06 AM.
    My Journal

New routine as of Monday 30th of March!

Day 1 = SQ, Skill Work (snatch, OHSQ, jerks), Push-Ups
    Day 2 = Press, Pull-Ups
    Day 3 = Cleans, Ring Dips, Push-Ups
    Day 4 = DL, Pull-Ups

Maximum intensity, I want to get strong!

Thanks to the guys who offered advice with this routine.
    My Journal

WOD

For time:
    21 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    18 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    15 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    12 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    9 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    6 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters
    3 Body weight deadlift
    Run 400 meters

Time - 23:58
    This was the WOD from today. I came in with a BW of 90kg. I was pretty happy with that.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 12:07 AM.
    My Journal

That looks tough. Very brutal. I hate conditioning stuff... I used to be in good shape when I wrestled in high school but now I'm too damn lazy haha.

Where do you train to have a room like that? (deadlifting and running at the same time)
    Last edited by MPB; 03-26-2009 at 03:06 PM.

A blokes garage.
    Deadlift in the garage, run outside on the street haha. I laugh now but the street has a hill (pretty week incline like probably 8/100 or something) but it's still a fecking pain!.
    My Journal

WOD 7/4/09

5km Run

Time - 24:56
    5km Run = Roughly 3.2 miles I think

Strength Work

150kg DL x 1 (PR)

Did a bit of warming up then smashed this in.
    Last edited by tomv; 06-08-2009 at 12:09 AM.
    My Journal

Is that about 8 minutes per mile? That's pretty good. I would be lucky to run that much in thirty minutes. Nice PR man, I think it's a great decision that you decided to focus on your strength.

Haha actually dude I've jumped back on the crossfit bandwagon, but I'm going to do ME work 1-2 days a week. Still focusing on strength somewhat but trying to keep up the other work as well, I think by being smarter with scaling the workouts I should come up pretty quick. Yeah that was 8 minutes/mile roughly.
    My Journal

WOD

Crossfit Total
    1RM for Squat/Deadlift/Press

Final lifts (3 attempts at each lift)
    110kg Squat
    152.5kg Deadlift
    50kg Press
    Total - 312.5kg

I'm happy because I set two new PR's (10kg on squats and 10kg on conventional deadlift) but at the same time bloody annoyed!
    I could have hit a higher weight on the squat (attempted 120) but was too psyched up and rushed the lift. Lowered way too fast and lost it in the hole.
    My press freaking sucks but I was doing handstand pushups the day before so that may have had something to do with it.
    Last edited by tomv; 04-11-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    My Journal

WOD

Squat 5x3

Results

90 / 100 / 107.5 / 100 / 100
    (all weights in kilograms)

Very happy with my lifts today considering I was doing ME work two days prior. Another bloke at the gym managed to get 105 for a triple so being my competitive self had to bump it up. The reps were bloody hard and pretty slow but I cranked them out without too much degradation of form so I'm stoked. This definitely confirms to me that my Squat 1RM is easily above 110kg. Looking forward to my next Crossfit Total!
    Last edited by tomv; 04-11-2009 at 07:31 PM.
    My Journal

I rode 75km today (approximately 47 miles). It's the furthest away one of my mates lives and it's a 37k round trip. The last 3-4k's is a hill. Up.
    It was hard and my hip flexors were stabbing me the whole way home just from being flexed for so long but I did it and it was one of my goals from the start of the year. Hurray!
    My Journal

WOD

Split Jerk 7x1

Finished on 77.5kg (170lbs). Started on 60kg (135lbs) and moved up in roughly 2.5-5kg increments. Pretty happy with that as my Strict Press is only about 50kg (110lbs). Damn I love OLY lifts sometimes.
    My Journal

WOD

DeadRun

100kg Deadlift, 21 reps
    Run 800 meters
    100kg Deadlift, 15 reps
    Run 800 meters
    100kg Deadlift, 9 reps
    Run 800 meters

Finished with a time of 18:00. I'm sort of happy with my time but think I could have gone a bit quicker if a few things had been ironed out. Need to sort my Deadlift form a little bit, not sure I'm getting my hips low enough so I may throw up some videos soon. The bar I was lifting also had a pretty decent bend in it so it was bloody rolling in my hands a bit sometimes. All in all a good WOD. I love being able to complete them as rx'd.
    My Journal

Nice workout man. I've been thinking about changing my training style to crossfit for a while...

haha j/k but I'd like to do something like that once in a while this summer to improve my gpp.
    Last edited by MPB; 04-21-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    Nice workout man. I've been thinking about changing my training style to crossfit for a while...

haha j/k but I'd like to do something like that once in a while this summer to improve my gpp.
    Haha I was surprised by that, damn your jokes! It's worth a shot man, even a more strength oriented WOD (such as this one) once a fortnight or once a week maybe? Hell just start supersetting your exercises and it's almost a Xfit workout haha.
    My Journal

Benched 80kg(175lbs) today for 1.

I realise that's just aboust **** all compared to almost all guys on the site but it's a 10kg PB since I started crossfit (where I haven't benched once) so I'm pretty happy . I think I could have squeezed a bit more out too but I'd just finished doing push presses.
    My Journal

WOD

Tired Yet?
    100 Tire Flips for Time
    13:31

This was probably one of the hardest WOD's I've ever done. The tire was a pretty big mamajama and I just busted ass. Good fun.

This is the tire I was flinging about:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tomv; 04-23-2009 at 02:38 AM.
    My Journal