Thread: Triceps on ME/DE days

Triceps on ME/DE days

My question is regarding triceps on ME/DE days. Do you typically go heavy on one day and light/reps on another, heavy on both, one exercise heavy, one light, etc. I know in an old Westside article Louie said they typically keep JM's in between 3-5 reps, extensions in between 6-10. What works best for you?

Habingus
    I like 3-5 board presses on ME day, and extensions on DE day, tate press is my favorite. Both days I like to end with pushdown with a rope, bands or really any implement. I know Travis does a lot more and I don't think he uses high boards, but hopefully he chimes in.
    "I PLAY BY MY OWN RULES"

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    if i do do them its 12 to 15 reps just for blood flow
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

When I was running bench twice a week I would do rolling dumbell tricep extensions with moderate weight for reps on my ME day and heavy barbell extensions or jm's for low reps on my DE day.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I like the rolling DB extensions too. I've been doing them a lot lately. Also a big fan of JM presses (done right), KB extensions, Tate presses, band extensions or pressdowns, rope pressdowns (partial or full range), extensions off the pins (sliding the bar up the back of the rack) and the newest one on the market, close grip bench for reps.

Dingus is right. I don't do a lot of high boards. Actually I haven't used anything over a 3brd in probably a year or so.

The way Lou has taught me is that if we can accomplish the same task that high boards accomplish, with a specific tricep exercise that doesn't tax the CNS as much it's a better idea. That said, Lou isn't necessairly against high boards. if you want to do them, we do them on ME day.

Lou has also really helped me focus on keeping my heavy stuff on ME day. I've gotten to the point now where on ME day, i really drop the hammer. I push myself very hard both with the pace I go at and with the exercises I choose. My ascessory exercise is heavy, although I do tend to keep my pushdown stuff in the 10-8 rep range. On DE day, I keep everything light so that my body can recover as well as focus on speed. All ascessory work is in the 10-12 rep range and it's not a 10-12 rep max either. Just enough to push things a little and then shut it down.

What will make it work is you picking ascessory and ME work that pushes your weaknesses. About a month ago, Luke was doing some rolling DB extensions so I grabbed the same DB's he was using and hit a set and was really shocked how hard they were! They were 70lb dbs and I've worked up to 95's before. So I just made sure I added them back in regularly. Right now my 3 rep JM is 405 so I've backed off that a little.

Sure it's cool to have crazy strong ascessory work, but if it doesn't translate to a big bench, you've wasted your time.

Simply put, if you suck at something....do it....ALOT

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    I use close grip bench, pin press's, floor press's, tri extentions, and board, band and chain work. I mix them up between my speed days and ME days. Today was raw board press's.
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to try and tweak this a little bit and see if I can get it to work better for me. I know in an old Westside article Lou said that the guys typically do 15-18 sets for triceps. Do you still do 15-18 sets on both ME and DE days?

Probably closer to 12-15

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Travis is right. One thing from the seminar that really hit home is "always use a lighter weight to help you lift a heavier weight". This is similar to what Travis is saying with using dumbbell extensions, tricep pushdowns, JM press, etc instead of going really heavy on higher boards. Stick to things where you have worse leverage so you get the same training affect on your muscles with less weight.

Travis, thanks for reminding me how weak my triceps are. I need to up the volume on that work.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron