2 min rest
    Squats - 2x12
    2 min rest
    Squats - 3x12
    2 min rest
    Squats - 2x12
    2 min rest

and so on until i wear myself out.

i've been doing this for a few months and my legs have experienced the most growth out of my whole body.

so, any tips? something i'm doing that i shouldn't be?

i suspect my home routine is really bad, but i don't really have any equip to do proper stuff.

any advice is welcome, thanks

Why don't do some real squats when you're at the gym?
    22 - 5'10@236lbs!
    Bench - 325 (old)
    Squat - 455x2 (old)
    Deadlift - 500(old)

Total: 1280lbs 100% raw

The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth: I hate my body.

hi tech equipment?
    heres 2 leg exercises that will beat all of those put together:

barbell squats
    deadlift

Banned
    So you do sets of air squats at home till failure? And the good girl machine at the gym instead of real squats????

Solid routine. Keep up the good work

Squat at the gym. Five heavy sets of squats will do more for you than the 18 sets of nonsense you are doing now. I suspect you aren't deadlifting either, do those too.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Squat heavy, Deadlift heavy. end of story
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

And use free weights. It looks like you are using a bunch of machines which lock you into a single plane of motion and take the stabilizers out of it.

i suspect my home routine is really bad, but i don't really have any equip to do proper stuff.
    Buy a barbell. Until then theres exercises other than squats you can do with only dumbells to keep things interesting: Lunges, travelling lunges, single leg lunges, step ups, single leg SLDL, calf raise,

Wannabebig New Member
    When I try to do squats or deadlifts at the gym, the trainers there stop me. Say it puts too much of a strain on my legs and that it's better to do isolation exercises for my age (I'm sixteen).

Oh, and I got a barbell. That is what I meant by squats. Sorry bout the confusion :P

So, squats, deadlifts, that basically it? Any other barbell exercises that are good for strength building/legs?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by IwishIwasAslav; 03-19-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Just make sure you do FULL squats, and not that 1/4 squat BS that you see many guys doing at the gym. Start light to work on your form, and gradually work your way back up.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Quote Originally Posted by IwishIwasAslav View Post
    When I try to do squats or deadlifts at the gym, the trainers there stop me. Say it puts too much of a strain on my legs and that it's better to do isolation exercises for my age (I'm sixteen).

Oh, and I got a barbell. That is what I meant by squats. Sorry bout the confusion :P

So, squats, deadlifts, that basically it? Any other barbell exercises that are good for strength building/legs?

Thanks guys
    Tell the trainers to kindly mind their own f'ing business. Leg extensions are one of the worst exercises in the world. Squat, deadlift, and do some calf work once a week. Just make sure you are in good form. Take a vid and post one if you can.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned

Thanks guys
    You understand that most gym trainers are independent contractors right? That is, they are not employees of the gym and cannot tell you what to do. If this happens again, all you need to do is tell the gym staff you're being harrassed by said trainers and that they're ruining your gym experience.

As sad as it seems. The world is like this.
    Squats and deadlifts are the most beneficial exercises anyone can do, as long as you have perfect form.
    Look up some videos on how to squat. It could be that they stopped you because you weren't squatting properly (ie. were the top of your quads parallel to the ground? this is the minimum depth you must reach).

Everyone has already said it - squats and deads. Tell the PTs to take a hike. If you think you've had decent leg growth, wait until you really start working them.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Thanks guys
    Squats, Deadlift, RDL, Hack Squats, Front Squats, Lunges, and such..all can be done with barbell
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Banned
    When I'm at the gym (hi-tech equipment):

Leg Curls - 3x12
    2 min rest
    Leg Extensions - 3x12
    2 min rest
    Leg Press - 5x15
    5 min rest
    Forget the machines unless its an accessory given that you're already squatting heavy.

Squats - 3x12
    2 min rest
    Squats - 2x12
    2 min rest
    Squats - 3x12
    2 min rest
    Squats - 2x12
    2 min rest
    and so on until i wear myself out.
    If you do that many sets of 12, then you aren't squatting heavy enough, IMHO.

i've been doing this for a few months and my legs have experienced the most growth out of my whole body.
    Well, that's not surprising because you only listed leg exercises. But, IMHO, you won't get stronger that way. What are you goals?

so, any tips? something i'm doing that i shouldn't be?
    You're not squatting heavy, and you should be ( IMHO, everybody should be at least relatively heavy ). What about anything else, is that all you do? You should be deadlifting to, and at least benching if not some sort of overhead pressing.

Banned
    To put it nicely, that BULL****!

Get a new trainer, they don't know what they're talking about.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTallOx View Post
    Well, that's not surprising because you only listed leg exercises. But, IMHO, you won't get stronger that way. What are you goals?
    The ones I listed is the stuff I do on lower body day. I have other days for arms, pectorals, abs, etc..

Ok guys, heading to the gym in a few hours. I've been watching vids on deadlifts and squats and I've been practicing here at home with my barbell. They have heavier weights at the gym so I'm hoping to lift heavy and see some growth

thanks guys.