Thread: Storing music library, best options?

Storing music library, best options?

My GF had a catastrophic PC crash, and the only option was a restore which left her ipod music library (17000 songs+) unrecoverable. She rebuilt her library, which took considerable time. To prevent future loss, is there a good way to store massive file libraries? Cost effectiveness is a concern. A 16GB flash drive at Chinamart is $39. Are there bigger and cheaper ones? Other storage devices? Thanks.
    Last edited by manowar669; 03-18-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

You can get a big external hard drive for cheap, also at Chinamart. I keep 80g of music on my external hard drive connected to my PC, then stream it to my laptop over the wireless connection. Granted, all my eggs are on the external drive, but it's a lot safer than storing it on my 10 year old PC's internal drive.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

I don't really need 500GB, but that seems cheap enough. Thanks.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

Externals are mighty cheap and mighty effective. If you want to be truly hardcore you could back up on externals and DVD's
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Externals are mighty cheap and mighty effective. If you want to be truly hardcore you could back up on externals and DVD's
    or tape backups.

Quote Originally Posted by faster View Post
    or tape backups.
    My Pc does have a tape drive. Would that have enough storage? Probably takes forever to download.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    My Pc does have a tape drive. Would that have enough storage? Probably takes forever to download.
    They used to many years ago (which is my only experience with them). I would imagine if it was a frequent/routine back up like in the middle of the night or something it might not be so bad.

I am chancing it with keepign it all on the internal HD.

Slightly related, would an extra internal be a good idea (or a raid set up, the little i know about them) or are those susceptable to power surges and mess ups as well?

My caveat with externals is that they tend to get handled more so durability would be a concern. That being said, I still use a 120gb external for backup purposes.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manowar669 View Post
    I don't really need 500GB, but that seems cheap enough. Thanks.
    You'll probably pay $15-$20 less for a 200 or 300gb drive, for all that extra space its not much more money. You might as well future proof your investment.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

The Seagates are awesome, though I prefer the FreeAgent Go/WD Passports. They have a smaller footprint and draw power right from the USB port so they don't require an external power source. They're a little more expensive but I think they're worth it.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Slightly related, would an extra internal be a good idea (or a raid set up, the little i know about them) or are those susceptable to power surges and mess ups as well?
    I don't know what a power surge will do to an HDD, but the vast majority of the failures I've seen have been one drive at a time. In that case a RAID 1 (duplicate drives) or RAID 5 (3 or more drives striped with one drive redundancy) would work for you. It depends what your card (or motherboard) supports. The other thing you have to worry about is whether or not you have to blow up your current setup to create the RAID array, which would involve backing everything up somewhere else and restoring. You'd have to check the documentation on your RAID card for that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    I don't know what a power surge will do to an HDD, but the vast majority of the failures I've seen have been one drive at a time. In that case a RAID 1 (duplicate drives) or RAID 5 (3 or more drives striped with one drive redundancy) would work for you. It depends what your card (or motherboard) supports. The other thing you have to worry about is whether or not you have to blow up your current setup to create the RAID array, which would involve backing everything up somewhere else and restoring. You'd have to check the documentation on your RAID card for that.
    I was asking more in reference to simply adding another, separate HD. I don't do stuff that is that important to warrant a backup in addition to an external HD, I was just curious. Good info though!
    Last edited by Reko; 03-19-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I'd go with the external hard drive. I have little USB ones out for super cheap nowadays.

- Greg Lumis

I have three letters for you... N.A.S.

Network Attached Storage.

We just set up a NAS for one of the VPs at my company and he's got 1Tb of redundant (RAID 1) storage which we set up for about 500$. I know it's more expensive than others solutions that have been presented but it's pretty damn sweet. The device we set up can stream music/video, download/upload torrents, act as a DHCP server, and has a nice web interface
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    They used to many years ago (which is my only experience with them). I would imagine if it was a frequent/routine back up like in the middle of the night or something it might not be so bad.

I am chancing it with keepign it all on the internal HD.

My caveat with externals is that they tend to get handled more so durability would be a concern. That being said, I still use a 120gb external for backup purposes.
    My external HD has moved exactly 3 times in the 3 years I've owned it. Granted, I just keep it with my PC, but if you've got two computers you can access it via the wireless network. It's very convenient for my laptop. It does kinda screw with my WMP library, though.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by deeder View Post
    I have three letters for you... N.A.S.

Network Attached Storage.

We just set up a NAS for one of the VPs at my company and he's got 1Tb of redundant (RAID 1) storage which we set up for about 500$. I know it's more expensive than others solutions that have been presented but it's pretty damn sweet. The device we set up can stream music/video, download/upload torrents, act as a DHCP server, and has a nice web interface
    A NAS system is pretty cool but overkill for the everyday home user.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Store all your music and everything on your PC and then back it up regularly to the external so that you have 2 copies of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    this is the one i have and i love it, get it. its totally worth the money, ur not gna be able to fill it up either so u wont have to worry.
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut