The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: protein tubes

Banned

protein tubes

Has neone ever used them, there about 4 oz and have 40grams of protein and the by IDS
    I use them as part of my protein for the day, I take that and a reg drink, all together its about 78grams of pro between them, is that bad should I drop them and add food or keep it, I have 4 reg meal and 2 drinks equal bout 210gram

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's fine, might be a little expensive though, aren't those tubes like 5 bucks each?
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    It's fine, might be a little expensive though, aren't those tubes like 5 bucks each?
    Yea there expensive but I buy them in bulk so I get like 12 for $30

Well if you can afford it then go for it. I could think of more economical sources, but its your call. How do they taste anyway? I always see them there on the counter but I have never picked one up.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

This thread has so much potential for going directly to the gutter based on the title......

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by danmac View Post
    Well if you can afford it then go for it. I could think of more economical sources, but its your call. How do they taste anyway? I always see them there on the counter but I have never picked one up.
    they taste great and it only takes one gulp to get it down

That's still $2.50 @. Much cheaper to just have a shaker cup with a scoop of ON (or Nitrean!) and some milk.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    The quality of protein in those tubes is questionable, since they use collagen and hydrolyzed protein.

Here is some additional information that addresses that directly toward the end (with regard to PDCAA):

"The FDA requires that a food's protein quality be measured using Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS). The score ranks proteins based on digestibility and the relative level of essential amino acids. Protein is comprised of amino acids, and the essential amino acids are the ones that you must obtain through your diet since your body cannot manufacture them.

When using the PDCAAS method for evaluating protein quality, a score of 1 indicates the highest quality of protein that supplies the essential amino acids at the right ratios to support growth and health. Egg, milk, soy isolate and meat proteins receive a score of 1 with this method. Conversely, gelatin is a poor quality protein with a PDCAAS of 0. The protein sources in the PowerBar TriSource*ô protein blend all score a 1 with the PDCAAS method.

Do other bars offer high-quality protein? How can I tell?

To determine if a bar contains high-quality protein, take a look at the Nutrition Facts panel on the back of the wrapper. There will be a row that lists the total grams of protein contained in that bar. If the bar is a making a protein claim, by regulation there should also be a % DV (Daily Value) listed next to the total number of grams. That DV percentage is corrected, or lowered, when a protein's PDCAAS score is lower than 1.0. For example, if the protein content is 20g, and the %DV is any less than 40%, then it means a PDCAAS score of less than 1.0 was applied (20g / 50g Daily Value = 40% DV). If the %DV corresponding to 20g of protein were 30% instead of 40%, for example, it would mean that the PDCAAS protein score for that product is 0.75, which is significantly lower in protein quality (by one quarter) than the 1.0 score for PowerBar's high quality TriSource Blend.

Examples of poor quality proteins are gelatin and collagen (sometimes labeled as hydrolyzed protein), which some manufacturers use as a protein source in their bars. Gelatin and collagen have a Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS) score of zero since they lack certain essential amino acids. If a product contains gelatin or collagen , then the total PDCAAS score will have to be less than 1.0 and you should see a %DV that has been lowered."

Source: http://ironman.com/training/sponsors...erbar-products
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 03-25-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Always listening & learnin lil' power's Avatar
    That's some useful information...Thanks!
    RAW/165's/ 365-215-360-940 ttl -Elite
    Single Ply/ 165's / 450-325-380 - 1155 ttl -Pro

Great post, Tom, thanks.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The quality of protein in those tubes is questionable, since they use collagen and hydrolyzed protein.

Here is some additional information that addresses that directly toward the end (with regard to PDCAA):

"The FDA requires that a food's protein quality be measured using Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS). The score ranks proteins based on digestibility and the relative level of essential amino acids. Protein is comprised of amino acids, and the essential amino acids are the ones that you must obtain through your diet since your body cannot manufacture them.

When using the PDCAAS method for evaluating protein quality, a score of 1 indicates the highest quality of protein that supplies the essential amino acids at the right ratios to support growth and health. Egg, milk, soy isolate and meat proteins receive a score of 1 with this method. Conversely, gelatin is a poor quality protein with a PDCAAS of 0. The protein sources in the PowerBar TriSource*ô protein blend all score a 1 with the PDCAAS method.

Do other bars offer high-quality protein? How can I tell?

To determine if a bar contains high-quality protein, take a look at the Nutrition Facts panel on the back of the wrapper. There will be a row that lists the total grams of protein contained in that bar. If the bar is a making a protein claim, by regulation there should also be a % DV (Daily Value) listed next to the total number of grams. That DV percentage is corrected, or lowered, when a protein's PDCAAS score is lower than 1.0. For example, if the protein content is 20g, and the %DV is any less than 40%, then it means a PDCAAS score of less than 1.0 was applied (20g / 50g Daily Value = 40% DV). If the %DV corresponding to 20g of protein were 30% instead of 40%, for example, it would mean that the PDCAAS protein score for that product is 0.75, which is significantly lower in protein quality (by one quarter) than the 1.0 score for PowerBar's high quality TriSource Blend.

Examples of poor quality proteins are gelatin and collagen (sometimes labeled as hydrolyzed protein), which some manufacturers use as a protein source in their bars. Gelatin and collagen have a Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS) score of zero since they lack certain essential amino acids. If a product contains gelatin or collagen , then the total PDCAAS score will have to be less than 1.0 and you should see a %DV that has been lowered."

Source: http://ironman.com/training/sponsors...erbar-products
    Thanks alot

No kidding, thanks Tom, thats actually really useful. appreciate it man.
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut