Thread: Stiff leg deadlifts.

Wannabebig Member

Stiff leg deadlifts.

Hey guys,

I'm trying a new routine which requires doing stiff leg deadlifts. The only problem is I'm horribly inflexible. When I reach down towards my toes my fingers are at least a foot away from touching them.

I've never done SLD's and I'm paranoid about injuring myself and wondering if I should even be doing them. I've begun stretching everyday, but is it safe to do this lift, or should I wait till I've gained more flexibility?

Thanks.

Some people can get the benefit of SLDL not going down very far at all, though some people will even use a platform and work off a deficit.

As long as you are using your glutes and hams to act like the brakes, you should get the benefit from what ever depth you can lower the bar. The more you do them the lower you will get.

Follow correct form, choose the weight carefully and they are no more dangerous than any other exercise.

SLDL Form
    Last edited by -JM-; 03-23-2009 at 05:03 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

What he said^^^
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Some people can get the benefit of SLDL not going down very far at all, though some people will even use a platform and work off a deficit.

As long as you are using your glutes and hams to act like the brakes, you should get the benefit from what ever depth you can lower the bar. The more you do them the lower you will get.

Follow correct form, choose the weight carefully and they are no more dangerous than any other exercise.

SLDL Form
    Thats a vid of RDLs

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html
    Sarvamangalam!

really? up till now i thought they were the same thing! good to know the slight difference!

Zen you have a point here with the video.

Here is their video of an RDL and then the SLDL

Spot the difference.......I cant, lol
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

i spotted one difference, he went lower with the SLDLs, but he didnt curve his back like the girl in Zen's link.

I think this is the differentiation

SLDL: bentback
    RDL: flat/arched back
    SLSBDL(stiff leg, stiff back): synonym with RDL
    Sarvamangalam!

SLDL and RDL are indeed different.

best way to describe SLDL - the hips do not move...they are a point of flexing and nothing more. the knees don't get to flex, but do start barely flexed (it stiff leg, not straight leg DL's)

on an RDL, the hips should be the first thing to move, sliding back as you start to descend. your knees should also be allowed to flex slightly during the move.

They are nearly the same move but RDL will bring the hips into play more and a minor de-emphasis on the lower back. SLDL really nails the lower back, with less emphasis on hip flexors.

both are good for you