Thread: Mind reviewing my Crossfit Strength Routine?

Mind reviewing my Crossfit Strength Routine?

G'day All,
    Recently stated in my journal that I'm not happy with my current strength levels and I don't think doing crossfit is the best thing for improving it. That being said I would like to return to crossfit, only once I have a more respectable strength base. Thus I've attempted to devise a program for myself aimed at increasing my strength and power but centred more around Crossfit lifts as opposed to the traditional big 3.

Basically 5 days training with 2 days rest. Which day goes where depends on week by week schedule. Each day focusing on a "major" movement with an accessory movement added on as well. E.g.

Day 1
    Squats / Kettlebell Work
    Day 2
    Press / Chinups - Rows
    Day 3
    OLY lifts / Ring Dips - Pushups
    Day 4
    Deadlift / Arm exercises (vanity!)
    Day 5
    Dynamic effort stuff (speed squats, oly form work) / "core" exercises

I want to cycle different types of lifts throughout e.g. for day 1 in the first week I'll go heavy in front squats and next week try going heavy in back squats, one week use heavy power cleans and the next week try use heavy full snatch.

Here's an example of a program for the week to give you an idea of volume

Day 1
    Back Squat 5x5
    OH Squat 3x5
    KB Snatches 3x10
    KB Swings 3x10 (each arm)

Day 2
    Strict Press 5x5
    Push Jerk 3x5
    Chinups 3x8 (can't do 10 yet...)
    Inverted Row 3x8-10

Day 3
    Power Cleans 5x5
    Hang Snatch 3x5
    Ring Dips 5x3-4 (not very strong at these yet hence low reps higher set number)
    Pushups 3x10-15 (again 15 is about my max and crossfit often calls for much higher reps)

Day 4
    Deadlift 5x5
    1-Leg Deadlift 3x5
    Barbell Curls 3x8
    Close grip bench or floor press 3x8

Day 5
    Speed Squats 3x8
    Light Snatches 3x8
    Planks 3x1minute
    Crunches 3x15

This is only an example for 1 week and I'd like to cycle exercises from week to week.

I'd like to run the program for about 3 months and see approximately 15% increase in my 1RM (at a minimum).

What do you think? Questions? Criticisms?

P.s. No bench work as it's hardly ever in crossfit programming and there isn't even a bench at the gym where I train.
    Last edited by tomv; 03-23-2009 at 06:28 AM.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Banned
    If you want to get strong, Crossfit is the wrong way to go.

At a BARE minimum, check out the stuff at performancemenu.com and check out their 'strength-oriented' take on Cultfit. I mean, Crossfit.

Banned
    I'm confused...
    What do you mean by "strength"? You are doing cross fit but aren't happy with your strength, you want to do a crossfit inspired (not a big 3 inspired) workout to get "stronger", then return to cross fit one you have a solid "strength" base.

Can you clarify a little bit?

I give basically the same advice to all CFers I talk to who ask me about getting stronger --> focus on less exercises and bust arse on them.

I gave the same advice to KingJustin not that long ago. I don't know what he decided to do... http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121254
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I'm confused...
    What do you mean by "strength"? You are doing cross fit but aren't happy with your strength, you want to do a crossfit inspired (not a big 3 inspired) workout to get "stronger", then return to cross fit one you have a solid "strength" base.

Can you clarify a little bit?
    Well at the moment I feel like my strength as opposed to my cardio ability is holding me back on WODS. When there's a WOD calling for say:

30 Ring Dips
    500m Row
    30 Pushups
    500m Row
    30 Chinups
    500m Row

I can't yet properly do ring dips, I can't pump out 30 pushups, and I can only do sets of 5 for chinups. When there's a WOD asking for 135lb Thrusters I can't yet perform them. My strength is holding me back and I don't feel crossfit is the best way to improve it currently. I want to get stronger to perform better at crossfit. I say crossfit inspired in that I want to include more crossfit movement (e.g. eliminating bench press as it's rarely used).
    Once I am able to do things like a solid set of 10-15 chinups, 135lb thrusters with good consistent form then I would like to return to crossfit.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I give basically the same advice to all CFers I talk to who ask me about getting stronger --> focus on less exercises and bust arse on them.

I gave the same advice to KingJustin not that long ago. I don't know what he decided to do... http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121254
    I appreciate your input Sensei, I had attempted to restrict the number of exercises already however but you think I should restrict it more? I tried to cut it down to basic movement patterns, would removing day 5 be a better idea?
    My Journal

Look into "Black Box Crossfit"

and check out this link:

I just searched "crossfit" in the Rippetoe Q&A section... there are some really good things in some of those threads... you might even ask him yourself
    http://strengthmill.net/forum/search...earchid=180154

This is a recent discussion that pretains as well
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...light=crossfit
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-23-2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

It looks like there are a couple of options here, but changing the workouts to reflect less "conditioning" so that you can focus on strength would be wise. This could involve cutting out the cardio work and also perhaps doing weighted movements or heavier movements than what is called for, for lower repetitions of course.

Crossfit requires a certain base strength level for many trainees, but the workouts are easily adapatable and you could always do modified movements as well.

I believe that crossfit is a good program for certain people and does have it's place in the exercise community. If you are looking to get powerlifter strong then it is the wrong routine, but for overall fitness it is fairly balanced (good compound exercises, bodyweight work, cardiovascular, muscular endurance, some strength).

The program that you listed above looks like a log of volume and if you are pushing the limit with the intensity you will likely overtrain.

Olympic lifting training is almost like a science with modified movements, waves of loading, etc.

For now I would just scale everything back to each movement once or twice per week (if done twice then one is "speed" or "technique" and the other workout is "power"). The 5x5 program is fine, just push yourself and make sure that you are eating and resting enough to support gains.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

OP, what's your height, weight, and what are you putting up on the big lifts?

@Zen - Thanks for the links mate, I'll have to give them a look tonight when I get home. Just heading out the door for Uni now.

@Tom - I'm cutting out all cardio (aside from riding my bike to the train station which is only a 20 minute ride) to focus solely on increasing strength and power. I'll try and make up a different routine reflecting what you and Sensei have posted and go from there.

@Kik - G'day I'm about 6 foot, weight 90kgs (roughly 200lbs I think) and for 1RM 315DL/220SQ/No idea for bench press haven't done it in a while. For Strict Press it's about 115lbs
    My Journal

With the split you outlined, you're not doing "Crossfit". You're doing a balanced split centered around Oly lifts and a couple of the more uncommon movements. Crossfit didn't think up any of the **** they use, just the way in which they use them.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Sorry should have been clearer in my naming conventions. I meant that this split will help me to excel at completing crossfit WOD's. I understand that Crossfit didn't create any of these movements but they frequently use those that I tried to cover in my routine.
    My Journal

Revised Routine

Day 1
    Back Squat 5x5
    Pushups 3x10-15 (will become weighted once I can easily push out 15)
    KB Snatches 3x10

Day 2
    Power Cleans 5x5
    Inverted Row 3x8-10
    Crunches 3x15

Day 3

Speed Squats 3x8
    Hang Snatch 3x5
    Planks 3x1min

Day 4
    Deadlift 5x5
    Strict Press 5x5
    Push Jerk 3x5
    OH Squat 3x5

Taking on Sensei and Tom's advice I've attempted to cut down volume and focus around fewer lifts with more effort.
    Cut it down to four days with no more then 5 exercises per day. Tried to keep a mix of ME lifts and DE lifts both on each day and throughout the week. If I've misunderstood your posts please don't hesitate to tell me.
    Last edited by tomv; 03-23-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    My Journal

IMO you don't have very much pressing. On the day you back squat I would add in something other than the pushups, or along with the pushups. Either way, I don't believe only 8 sets of heavy pressing (3 of which are explosive) is enough.

I was counting Ring Dips on Day 3 as a pressing exercise as well, is there a reason you think I shouldn't? I thought that may cover me.
    My Journal

Your results may vary quite a bit, but I find that I make very little progress with that little heavy tricep/shoulder work. It could also be that I end up doing that many sets of ring dips just in our warmups over a couple of days. Comparatively speaking, I find the ring dip to be something more like the pushup than a pressing movement. I see it as something that can be done with more repetition without beating the body down.

Fair enough, I'll try maybe throw some Speed pressing in on Day 1 then? Or do you think I should try and go heavy?
    My Journal

Exactly what you fill it with is up to you and what you feel like you can handle. Another day of OH Pressing may or may not cause some issues with your shoulders. If not, go for it. If it does, you might look at doing something along the lines of CGBP.

Cool thanks mate I'll keep that in mind. See how I feel doing a some sets of DE press and if that is giving me issues I'll look at other areas. Thanks!
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    @Kik - G'day I'm about 6 foot, weight 90kgs (roughly 200lbs I think) and for 1RM 315DL/220SQ/No idea for bench press haven't done it in a while. For Strict Press it's about 115lbs
    I wouldn't bother trying to create some kind of hybrid routine.... a simple run of Starting Strength for a few weeks/months should get your strength significantly up, and with your lifts what they are, if you bring 'em up more to par for your bodyweight you could even totally forgo metcon for the time being, and be right back were you are, likely exceeding your current conditioning in a VERY short time frame after you resumed your CF workouts.

Speed work is a waste of time at this point.
    Last edited by Kiknskreem; 03-23-2009 at 09:55 PM.

What's metcon sorry?
    My Journal

What's metcon sorry?
    Metabolic conditioning.... CF stuff.

Revised Routine

Day 1
    Back Squat 5x5
    Pushups 3x10-15 (will become weighted once I can easily push out 15)
    KB Snatches 3x10

Day 2
    Power Cleans 5x5
    Inverted Row 3x8-10
    Crunches 3x15

Day 3

Speed Squats 3x8
    Hang Snatch 3x5
    Planks 3x1min

Day 4
    Deadlift 5x5
    Strict Press 5x5
    Push Jerk 3x5
    OH Squat 3x5

Taking on Sensei and Tom's advice I've attempted to cut down volume and focus around fewer lifts with more effort.
    Cut it down to four days with no more then 5 exercises per day. Tried to keep a mix of ME lifts and DE lifts both on each day and throughout the week. If I've misunderstood your posts please don't hesitate to tell me.
    I would reduce even further to:
    Day 1 = SQ, Skill Work (snatch, OHSQ, jerks), Push-Ups
    Day 2 = Press, Pull-Ups
    Day 3 = Cleans, Push-Ups
    Day 4 = DL, Pull-Ups

I don't really see the need to add weight on push-ups until you pump out 50. If you wanted to add ring dips to day 3 or 4, you certainly could.
    The "skill work" is just things to keep your hand in on. I don't think that OHSQs are an essential movement until you've brought your SQ and Press numbers up, but that's just my opinion - I love them mind you, and they are a great test of coordination and flexibility, but not what I'd recommend someone with your numbers spend a long time with. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/