The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.

Quote Originally Posted by robertd View Post
    they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.
    Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    These bars are definitely worth the price. Mint sounds yum. I normally get IBS type effects from having more than 5g of sugar alcohols at a time, should I be worried?
    Read my response to the other fellow above. You can acclimate your body to it and that normally eliminates the issue.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

I did Atkins many, many years ago and initially had problems with maltitol, but as Chris says your body does get used to it.

Awesome! Thanks. I have to order a box to try em out. So which flavor is your favorite guys? Cookie Dough or Mint?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I would say I prefer the cookie dough.

Chris and Dan,
    I've really wanted these ever since you first mentioned it but when working out the shipping to the UK with some Opticen it works out at approx £90 which I just can't afford.

Maybe another time if i'm putting in a bulk order which would then minimise the cost per product.
    Height 6ft 1"
    Current Weight 200lbs

Goal
    200lbs @ 10%bf

With a little from:
    WBB #1
    www.atlargenutrition.com
    EC Stack
    Advice from WBB members

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    DavyRen - All around nice guy. Respectful to the end.

I just got my two boxes and tried my first mint cookie bar. Tastes like the "thin mints" girl scout cookies! You guys were definitely not lying about the taste! Thanks ALN, can't wait to try the cookie dough later!
    Do or die

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Sounds like another great product guys. One more product that I don't have to buy from a competitor. I prefer to spend my limited resources available for supplements with you guys first due to your no BS approach in an industry that is 99% BS. I will definitely be adding these to a future order. (Just placed my 2nd this month).

I have a question regarding the carbs. I'm currently on the TNT plan A. I was wondering if these are compatible with this plan. I see 31g listed broke down to >1g of fiber, 1g of sugar, and 28g of sugar alcohols (glycerine and maltitol). I also see the note that indicates that there are only 3g of net impact carbs. Iguess I'm a bit ignorant of the whole "net carbs" thing. I thought that it referred to total carbs minus insoluble fiber. Maybe I'm also ignorant of sugar alcohols, I suppose. If you could answer these questions for me or post a link to an article or something that would be most wundeemus. Thanx.

Looking forward to trying the mint flavor. Damn the Girl Scouts, anyways. I live with a 3yr. old and a pregnant woman. Those blasted boxes are all over the house.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Tiredly going Insane
    just ordered my box of 16!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ljs102 View Post
    I just got my two boxes and tried my first mint cookie bar. Tastes like the "thin mints" girl scout cookies! You guys were definitely not lying about the taste! Thanks ALN, can't wait to try the cookie dough later!
    Thanks! Remember, if you are not used to sugar alcohols to go slow and stick to 1 bar per day for a few days. You may otherwise experience some gas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Thanks! Remember, if you are not used to sugar alcohols to go slow and stick to 1 bar per day for a few days. You may otherwise experience some gas etc.
    Will do. The cookie dough is even better, it even has little chocolate chips in it!
    Do or die

Is carrageenan used in these bars?

Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    Is carrageenan used in these bars?
    Go to the product page and click on the supplement facts link.

I did. It's not in the other ingredients list, but I have no idea if that list is comprehensive and/or 100% complete and accurate. I figured one of you guys with intimate knowledge of the ingredients would be a more reliable source of information. Do you know if carrageenan is in these bars?

Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    I did. It's not in the other ingredients list, but I have no idea if that list is comprehensive and/or 100% complete and accurate. I figured one of you guys with intimate knowledge of the ingredients would be a more reliable source of information. Do you know if carrageenan is in these bars?

I will check with our food scientist. I handle macro and micronutritient portions of formulations, not things such as specifics of flavoring, mouth feel, etc. To the best of my knowledge it is not.

Chris

I just ordered my 1st box of these bars. They sound great, can't wait to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbbell View Post
    I also see the note that indicates that there are only 3g of net impact carbs. Iguess I'm a bit ignorant of the whole "net carbs" thing. I thought that it referred to total carbs minus insoluble fiber. Maybe I'm also ignorant of sugar alcohols, I suppose. If you could answer these questions for me or post a link to an article or something that would be most wundeemus. Thanx.
    I did my own research (novel idea, huh?). I just looked up sugar alcohols on Wikipedia. They are basically insoluble just like fiber, therefore the low impact on blood sugar.

Just took a look through my pantry and I'm already consuming this stuff on a regular basis with no digestive issues. It appears that some may need to be acclimated to it, though (like any other dietary changes).

Definitely going to try these with my next order. I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work. Cheers!
    Last edited by dumbbell; 04-11-2009 at 09:04 AM.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

I got my box in the other day. Excellent protein bars!

Another great product by ALN

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I did my own research (novel idea, huh?). I just looked up sugar alcohols on Wikipedia. They are basically insoluble just like fiber, therefore the low impact on blood sugar alcohols.

Just took a look through my pantry and I'm already consuming this stuff on a regular basis with no digestive issues. It appears that some may need to be acclimated to it, though (like any other dietary changes).

Definitely going to try these with my next order. I like the direction you guys are going. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Thank you!

Alright, just put in an order for my first box. Trying the mint cookie flavor first. The girl scout cookies made me do it.

Starting plan B on the TNT diet soon so I gots me sum Opticen commin too.

Yay! For CHOCOLATE!
    Jason

-Mark Rippetoe

Alright, just put in an order for my first box. Trying the mint cookie flavor first. The girl scout cookies made me do it.

Starting plan B on the TNT diet soon so I gots me sum Opticen commin too.

Yay! For CHOCOLATE!
    Excellent! TNT is a GREAT plan. I think you will really like the chocolate Opticen. I honestly think it is our best tasting powder.

Bra-freaking-vo.

The bars are amazing. The mint is just like girlscout thin mints. Id say how impressed I am but Ive come to expect the best from ALN and they unfailingly deliver.

If you havent ordered yourself some novus bars...you should.

Im an ALN customer for life.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 03-30-2009 at 03:15 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    Bra-freaking-vo.

The bars are amazing. The mint is just like girlscout thin mints. Id say how impressed I am but Ive come to expect the best from ALN and they unfailingly deliver.

If you havent ordered yourself some novus bars...you should.

Im an ALN customer for life.

Great! Thank you very much!

I would buy them but are the shipping charges to Canada still high? Or has that been solved?