The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    You guys have done it again. The mint cookie reminds me of a york peppermint patty, as stated above.

I'm not a huge fan of bars, but I'll be keeping a box of these for emergencies!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    You guys have done it again. The mint cookie reminds me of a york peppermint patty, as stated above.

I'm not a huge fan of bars, but I'll be keeping a box of these for emergencies!
    Thanks!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    The mint cookie flavor passed my taste test. Yummy.

One is now living in the glove box of my truck, my toolbox at my job, and my school backpack. I don't like to be hungry.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Whats the average time until the bars expire? I'm considering getting some, but they would be for when times I can't get away from the desk and therefore may be on the shelf for quite awhile.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    Whats the average time until the bars expire? I'm considering getting some, but they would be for when times I can't get away from the desk and therefore may be on the shelf for quite awhile.
    My bars show a little over 2 years till expiration (05/10). I would be seriously impressed if a box lasted more than a month though. As others have mentioned, they are quite tasty...you may find yourself "making room" in your day for one when you didnt intentionally plan on it
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Wannabebig Member
    I just got a pack of the cookie dough bars. They're pretty damn tasty when you consider the amount of calories and protein is stuffed into them. My only complaint is the price. As a college student, they may just be too expensive to work in regularly. A student discount would be nice -- and feasible, considering we all have @edu email addresses.

Unfortunately the price comes with the quality.

If you compare it to other protein bars of equal quality though, it's really pretty reasonable.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

My own personal trainer dumbbell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Unfortunately the price comes with the quality.

If you compare it to other protein bars of equal quality though, it's really pretty reasonable.
    Exactly. These aren't your typical 100 calorie Wal-Mart variety bars.
    Jason

It is currently a fad, at this writing, for boys to think they need a "six pack", although most of them don't have an ice chest to put it in.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by Liberate View Post
    I just got a pack of the cookie dough bars. They're pretty damn tasty when you consider the amount of calories and protein is stuffed into them. My only complaint is the price. As a college student, they may just be too expensive to work in regularly. A student discount would be nice -- and feasible, considering we all have @edu email addresses.
    We do hear this a lot.. However from day one Chris and I decided that we wanted to create some of the best products in the market. That means high quality ingredients and enough of them to actually make a difference.

Ultimately this means that things cost a touch more. You'd be suprised at just how many other companies use inferior ingredients and just put in enough of the ingredient so that they can use it in the marketing spiele.

Chris says this often and I think it's a great point. You can actually get away with using our products less often and get the same or superior results due to the fact that our ingredients per serving and the quality of them are as good as you are going to get.

But, I understand that at the end of the day 20 bucks is 20 bucks and some people simply can't justify the expense... I guess it just is what it is, we don't plan to shift our stance on creating premium products and your best bet is to keep an eye out for a sale or just save and use them a little less than you might a cheaper alternative....
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

From what I have found doing a quick price comparison with comparable bars on the market (~90g, <5g net carbs, >30g protein, etc.), the Novus bars are not off the mark. Im no ingredient expert, but from what I have found, a lot of the comparable bars out there also happen to be filled with lots of garbage. In whatever small margin that the Novus bar is a few cents more costly, I find it to be well worth my dollar to have the higher quality protein and taste that I find in the Novus...not to mention supporting At Large for how well they have treated me in shipping my stuff fast, sending samples when I ask, etc.

I dont want to sound too much like a ALN fanboy, but being an active consumer and not just a robot with a credit card, I value a company that sells quality material and shows me sincere appreciation for my support. Not every occasion calls for the "whats the cheapest option." YMMV.

If you value your diet well enough to research a decent protein supplement, why would you not spend the difference for quality? Dont price shop a lambo and then bitch about the price of gas.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    We do hear this a lot.. However from day one Chris and I decided that we wanted to create some of the best products in the market. That means high quality ingredients and enough of them to actually make a difference.

Ultimately this means that things cost a touch more. You'd be suprised at just how many other companies use inferior ingredients and just put in enough of the ingredient so that they can use it in the marketing spiele.

Chris says this often and I think it's a great point. You can actually get away with using our products less often and get the same or superior results due to the fact that our ingredients per serving and the quality of them are as good as you are going to get.

But, I understand that at the end of the day 20 bucks is 20 bucks and some people simply can't justify the expense... I guess it just is what it is, we don't plan to shift our stance on creating premium products and your best bet is to keep an eye out for a sale or just save and use them a little less than you might a cheaper alternative....
    I understand. How about larger quantities? I would buy a huge box if it means more bang for the buck. 16 is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Pilot View Post
    From what I have found doing a quick price comparison with comparable bars on the market (~90g, <5g net carbs, >30g protein, etc.), the Novus bars are not off the mark. Im no ingredient expert, but from what I have found, a lot of the comparable bars out there also happen to be filled with lots of garbage. In whatever small margin that the Novus bar is a few cents more costly, I find it to be well worth my dollar to have the higher quality protein and taste that I find in the Novus...not to mention supporting At Large for how well they have treated me in shipping my stuff fast, sending samples when I ask, etc.

I dont want to sound too much like a ALN fanboy, but being an active consumer and not just a robot with a credit card, I value a company that sells quality material and shows me sincere appreciation for my support. Not every occasion calls for the "whats the cheapest option." YMMV.

If you value your diet well enough to research a decent protein supplement, why would you not spend the difference for quality? Dont price shop a lambo and then bitch about the price of gas.
    Thank you!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Liberate View Post
    I totally agree with you on that, if you're in school forget about working them into your daily meal plan unless your daddy pays for school.

These would be good if you're out somewhere on the road or on airplane or biking, somewhere that you don't have access to food and where it would be hard to bring your own meal.

I second the bulk option. Why not a 32 size box, at least it would last a month. If you guys offered 32 bars in a box and a 10lb jug of protein wouldn't that save you time and money on shipping your products out?
    Last edited by Davey; 04-12-2009 at 05:55 PM.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Beaver ******
    UPS showed up today...while I wasn't home...they'll be back tomorrow.

Finally got my Mint to go with the CDough I got earlier. Definately very much like Thin Mints! I wonder if the Novus is as good frozen as Thin Mints lol.

Wannabebig Member
    Finally got my Mint to go with the CDough I got earlier. Definately very much like Thin Mints! I wonder if the Novus is as good frozen as Thin Mints lol.
    Interesting, I wonder if you can freeze the Novus bars? Might be even tastier.

Beaver ******
    Novus Bars came this morning, the time I normally need something sweet, quick and healthy. Until recently, the healthy part wasn't really healthy and I 'made due' with what I had. Novus was better tasting, more satisfying, much MUCH healthier and has replaced all need for any other snack I've had before. Novus is now going to be part of my diet.

I'd like to add that the satisfying part means 1 bar fills your tummy, and if you need 2 bars you gotta be hungry IMO. They are worth every penny, even when shipped overseas.

Awesome! Thanks for your comments and business!

A few simple Novus concoctions I came up with lol...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...64#post2125164

BTW, Novus Bar frozen? Still awesome. Little chewy though lol!

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Just had my first Novus. I will have to be careful or I may become a Novus Junkie. I have tried a bunch of other bars and the Novus is the best. Keep up the good work.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

A few simple Novus concoctions I came up with lol...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...64#post2125164

BTW, Novus Bar frozen? Still awesome. Little chewy though lol!
    Very creative! I'm impressed. Thanks for posting that

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Im gonna bump this back up. The Mint ones are fantastic when frozen...havent tried the cookie dough ones frozen yet, but Ive got one in the freezer as we speak. Take it out of the freezer and give it 3-4 minutes before you eat it. Tastes the same of course, just makes it a little more chewy (and of course, cold).

Good stuff!

Ordered two boxes of the cookie dough flavor a couple days ago...Hope they're as good as the mint cookie. I wonder if they're at home waiting for me.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

I'm ready to order these to carry with me when mountain biking but I'm holding out for some coupons or sales!

I just noticed you can buy 16 bars for $16 more bucks? So that brings down each bar down 25 cents, not a bad deal. But a sale would still be really sweet!
    Last edited by Davey; 04-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Just call me a Gym Rat!
    Looking forward to getting some this week for my big spring hiking trip!! Will review them after and give comments or a review.

BB