The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Make way for the Novus Protein Bar!

We are really pleased to announce the launch of a brand new product - the Novus Protein Bar!

We've been working on this one for a while now and as usual, our focus is on having the highest quality, scientifically proven ingredients and ensuring that we include them in abundance. And of course, ensuring they taste darn good!

Novus Protein Bars are loaded with protein, each bar containing a whopping 36g of quality protein! They are also packed with vitamins and minerals to support your intense training.

Novus Protein bars are also incredibly convenient. You may be travelling, simply want to grab something between meetings or perhaps you’re just looking for some easy pre or post workout nutrition. A Novus bar provides that shot of solid nutrition!

Did we also mention that they taste GREAT and come in two flavours - Cookie Dough and Mint cookie flavor?

Ok, enough, enough you say... Stop Teasing....

Where can I get some?

Right here: Novus Protein Bar!

Thanks!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I would love to try it but, alas, I'm allergic to peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I would love to try it but, alas, I'm allergic to peanuts.
    Damn, I'm glad you pointed this out; I really need to read better. I was hoping to get these, but peanuts and I don't agree very well.

I saw this post in the bodybuilding/weightlifting section and it piqued my curiosity. Here's the original thread: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122605

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    The quality of protein in those tubes is questionable, since they use collagen and hydrolyzed protein.

Here is some additional information that addresses that directly toward the end (with regard to PDCAA):

"The FDA requires that a food's protein quality be measured using Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS). The score ranks proteins based on digestibility and the relative level of essential amino acids. Protein is comprised of amino acids, and the essential amino acids are the ones that you must obtain through your diet since your body cannot manufacture them.

When using the PDCAAS method for evaluating protein quality, a score of 1 indicates the highest quality of protein that supplies the essential amino acids at the right ratios to support growth and health. Egg, milk, soy isolate and meat proteins receive a score of 1 with this method. Conversely, gelatin is a poor quality protein with a PDCAAS of 0. The protein sources in the PowerBar TriSource*™ protein blend all score a 1 with the PDCAAS method.

Do other bars offer high-quality protein? How can I tell?

To determine if a bar contains high-quality protein, take a look at the Nutrition Facts panel on the back of the wrapper. There will be a row that lists the total grams of protein contained in that bar. If the bar is a making a protein claim, by regulation there should also be a % DV (Daily Value) listed next to the total number of grams. That DV percentage is corrected, or lowered, when a protein's PDCAAS score is lower than 1.0. For example, if the protein content is 20g, and the %DV is any less than 40%, then it means a PDCAAS score of less than 1.0 was applied (20g / 50g Daily Value = 40% DV). If the %DV corresponding to 20g of protein were 30% instead of 40%, for example, it would mean that the PDCAAS protein score for that product is 0.75, which is significantly lower in protein quality (by one quarter) than the 1.0 score for PowerBar's high quality TriSource Blend.

Examples of poor quality proteins are gelatin and collagen (sometimes labeled as hydrolyzed protein), which some manufacturers use as a protein source in their bars. Gelatin and collagen have a Protein Digestibility-Corrected Amino Acid Scoring (PDCAAS) score of zero since they lack certain essential amino acids. If a product contains gelatin or collagen , then the total PDCAAS score will have to be less than 1.0 and you should see a %DV that has been lowered."

Source: http://ironman.com/training/sponsors...erbar-products
    I just saw the term "hydrolyzed protein" for the first time yesterday when I was reading about the new Novus bar. It appears based on the nutritional info that the PDCAAS score is one since each bar contains 36g of protein, and the %DV is 72%. I noticed the protein in the bar is described as a "Protein Complex" made up of various proteins (one being hydrolyzed). Is the amount of hydrolized protein so insignificant that the PDCAAS score is unaffected? Or are different hydrolyzed proteins of different quality?

Not trying to discredit Novus bars. I know AtLarge makes quality products, and I can't wait to try the bars, just curious!
    Last edited by AKMass; 03-25-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Spelling error
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    I saw this post in the bodybuilding/weightlifting section and it piqued my curiosity. Here's the original thread: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122605

I just saw the term "hydrolyzed protein" for the first time yesterday when I was reading about the new Novus bar. It appears based on the nutritional info that the PDCAAS score is one since each bar contains 36g of protein, and the %DV is 72%. I noticed the protein in the bar is described as a "Protein Complex" made up of various proteins (one being hydrolyzed). Is the amount of hydrolized protein so insignificant that the PDCAAS score is unaffected? Or are different hydrolyzed proteins of different quality?

Not trying to discredit Novus bars. I know AtLarge makes quality products, and I can't wait to try the bars, just curious!
    I think it's hydrolized whey, which is high quality.

any chance of a coupon code/sale on these in the near future?
    i'm about due for more Nitrean and wouldn't mind grabbing a box of these too. Not that the price is too steep, just always looking to save a dime

Would it be possible to get a cross section pic of the bar?

Something like this

I think a mouth watering pic may send a few people over the edge and jump on a order.
    Last edited by Genacide; 03-24-2009 at 11:37 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

We don;t have an plans for a sale in the near future I am afraid

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Whatever turns you on

Seriously though, sure....I would think so..

Chris, can you break one up and take a pic... Send me the jpg via email if you could....

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    I just ordered a 16 pack of Cookie Dough!!! Looking forward to giving these babies a whirl.

Sweet! I'm gonna give these a shot with my next order. Maybe I can get the chocolate mint and finally put away the girl scout cookies...
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

damnit! i just ordered on sunday....i'll definitely give these a try on the next go round.

Thanks for the support guys, it's really appreciated.

OMG, you bastards. That looks like a Snickers bar!

Demons of Steel and Flesh HP666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    OMG, you bastards. That looks like a Snickers bar!

Don't get excited dude, that picture IS a Snickers bar!!! HA!!! Or something similar, he was using it as an example. But I'm sure the Novus bars rock too!!!
    I ordered a 16 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by HP666 View Post
    Don't get excited dude, that picture IS a Snickers bar!!! HA!!! Or something similar, he was using it as an example. But I'm sure the Novus bars rock too!!!
    I ordered a 16 pack.
    Doh!

I can't wait for my Novus!
    Last edited by ljs102; 03-24-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Do or die

Lol, Novus tastes great, but is no Snickers bar. It is NOT loaded with sugar and has only 3 net grams of carbs.

The people we had test the bars provided us VERY positive reviews on the taste, so I think you will all be pleased.

Chris
    Last edited by chris mason; 03-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.

I just orderd 2 x16bar boxes!! Im excited.
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    If you guys could teleport them to me at work, I'd buy like 10 boxes (I'm so hungry). I'd even pay extra shipping

These bars are definitely worth the price. Mint sounds yum. I normally get IBS type effects from having more than 5g of sugar alcohols at a time, should I be worried?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Quote Originally Posted by Unholy View Post
    These bars are definitely worth the price. Mint sounds yum. I normally get IBS type effects from having more than 5g of sugar alcohols at a time, should I be worried?
    Read my response to the other fellow above. You can acclimate your body to it and that normally eliminates the issue.

they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.

Quote Originally Posted by robertd View Post
    they look decent, but I avoid sugar alcohols, they give me GI problems.
    Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Some people do experience those effects with sugar alcohols, especially if they are consumed to excess. Most people can acclimate to them and reduce or eliminate the problem with a gradual increase of consumption over time after beginning with a very small amount (say 1/4 to 1/2 bar). Other people experience no issues at all.

Chris

I did Atkins many, many years ago and initially had problems with maltitol, but as Chris says your body does get used to it.