The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

My routine... questions

Hello, i've recently been reading this forum and it has made me question my current workout routine. I basically started working out august 2008, but i've more seriously started Feb 09. I am 18 years old, 5'11" ~150 lbs, maybe a couple less...
    The routine i use is

Day 1 - Chest
    4 x Flat Bench (10 x 145, 9 x 155, 7 x 165, 4 x 175)
    3 x Incline Bench (10 x 105, 10 x 115, 10 x 115)
    3 x Decline Bench (10 x 125, 10 x 135, 9 x 140)
    3 x Dumbbell Fly's (10 reps)
    3 x Cable Fly's (10 reps)

Day 2 - Tri's and Bi's
    3 x Dumbbell curls (10 x 30 eachhand, 10 x 35, 10 x 35)
    4 x Seated Tricep Press (10 x 70, 10 x 80, 9 x 90, 8 x 90)
    3 x Preacher curls (10 x 65, 10 x 75, 10 x 85)
    3 x Skull Crushers (10 reps)
    3 x Chin Ups (12 reps each)
    3 x Rope Pull Downs (10 reps)

Day 3 - Back and Shoulders
    3 x Arms raises to the side (10 reps, 15 lbs)
    3 x Arms raises forward (10 x 20, 10 x 25, 10 x 25)
    3 x "Lawn mowers" aka one handed rows (10 x 55, 10 x 60, 10 x 65)
    3 x Dumbbell shoulder press (10 x 30, 10 x 35, 10 x 40)
    3 x Pull downs (10ish reps)
    5 x Shrugs (30 x 110, 25 x 140, 20 x 160, 15 x 195, 15 x 195)

Day 4 - Ab's and Legs
    3 x Leg press (10 reps)
    3 x Leg extensions (10 reps)
    3 x Calf raises (20 reps)
    3 x Inclined situps (30 reps)
    3 x Ab machine (20 reps)
    3 x Bend over's for obliques with 45's (20 reps)

I was wondering what you guys thought of this routine, after reading your forums it seems people use a lot different routines than i do... also do you think i need an off day? Basically i keep going until im forced to miss a day, at this point i've gone to the gym 10 days straight

After workouts i drink 44g of protein of iron tek's essential natural 100% protein, its a blend of proteins with both isolate and longer metabolizing proteins...

Basically I am trying to get bigger while still looking decently cut, my goal is probably 170 lbs, being pretty cut.... Comments? Suggestions?

Note: Before this year I ran track and cross country for 4 years, so i had the idea in my head not to really do too much legs in the weight room, so my current leg routine is really bare as i am starting to just get into it
    Last edited by rebas; 03-24-2009 at 12:11 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Decide on a specific goal.

You need to squat. You have added legs as an after thought.

The routine has way too many exercises, too many again of which are isolations.

Working out day after day until you physically cant is a bad idea.

Since you have only started why not try a pre made routine.

Here are a few

Edit: and here are a few more
    Last edited by -JM-; 03-24-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Get a new routine.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Decide on a specific goal.

You need to squat. You have added legs as an after thought.

The routine has way too many exercises, too many again of which are isolations.

Working out day after day until you physically cant is a bad idea.

Since you have only started why not try a pre made routine.
    <links>
    Thank you for your feedback, the only thing about the wannabebig routine's, such as the 1.1 version is they seem kind of random, doing most body parts each day.... I would think you'd want to limit how many body parts you workout each day.
    Do you think there is anyway i can make my routine work? Because it has been slowly working for me.
    And yea i need to start doing squats, i've just never really tried them before.
    And as far as goals... i want to get bigger while staying mostly cut
    Quote Originally Posted by BakoLifter
    Get a new routine.
    Can you elaborate?
    Last edited by rebas; 03-24-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Banned
    Since you're new, you get a flame pass.

Do WBB 1.1, do not critique the program. You are not in a position to critique. Gaining weight and muscle is contingent on a quality diet. Do some research and eat right.

WBB 1.1 + tons of food = results. That's all you need to know right now.
    Last edited by Pimpstick; 03-24-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Thank you for your feedback, the only thing about the wannabebig routine's, such as the 1.1 version is they seem kind of random, doing most body parts each day

Its certainly not random. 2 upper, 2 lower. Simple and balanced.

.... I would think you'd want to limit how many body parts you workout each day.

When you get a bit of experience behind you, it will be time to think. For now, just DO!

Do you think there is anyway i can make my routine work? Because it has been slowly working for me.

I have suggested a better approach to make faster gains.

And yea i need to start doing squats, i've just never really tried them before.

You have to start squatting and deadlifting!

And as far as goals... i want to get bigger while staying mostly cut

Check out the Diet & Nutrition section and read the stickies.
    Many folks would suggest getting the book 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. This would also be a good option.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Wannabebig Member
    Ok thank you guys for the feedback! I guess i'm just a little nervous to try a new routine, i didn't want to end up behind where i am now, because i have made progress
    Also it looks like the routine suggests 3 days off per week, i feel like i could lift 5 or 6 days a week... do you think i will make quicker progress if i only take 1 or 2 days off instead of the 3?

Edit: i actually saw the original wbb routine and it seems to hit more muscles than the new 1.1, as i didn't see too much shoulder work in the new 1.1
    Last edited by rebas; 03-24-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Banned
    1) As aforementioned, progress is determined by your diet much moreso than your routine.
    2) This is not a race. You cannot get HUGE working out 3,4,5,6,7 (pick one) days a week for 6 months. It takes years are dedication and consistency to get where you want to be. Then when you get there, you have to continue working to maintain. Don't sweat small things. Pick a prepackaged routine, eat a lot, and come back with refined questions in six months or after you've packed on 25-30 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rebas View Post
    Ok thank you guys for the feedback! I guess i'm just a little nervous to try a new routine, i didn't want to end up behind where i am now, because i have made progress
    Also it looks like the routine suggests 3 days off per week, i feel like i could lift 5 or 6 days a week... do you think i will make quicker progress if i only take 1 or 2 days off instead of the 3?
    I was in the same boat as you, started lifting in Sept-Oct '08 and got serious in December and, at the advice of many on this forum, I began Starting Strength. I was lifting 4-5 days/week previously and I didn't think that a 3 day routine would be enough. I was wrong. It totally feels like you could do more but, after you get a few Squat/DL days under your belt, and your glutes are still feeling it the next day, you'll begin to realize exactly how important rest days are to your body. I've made great gains in strength and I look a heck of a lot better too with this program. I'm a total newb, but SS is definitely working for me.
    Last edited by dlew; 03-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.

Please just take one! MadScientist's Avatar
    I would up the volume here. Shoot for 24-28 sets.

Work out 2 days on 1 day off, for the rest of your natural life.

Drink 1/2 gal fat free milk per day. Eat more, eat clean. If the scale doesnt move up 1-2 lbs per week, eat more.

Simple. EAT MORE

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dlew View Post
    I was in the same boat as you, started lifting in Sept-Oct '08 and got serious in December and, at the advice of many on this forum, I began Starting Strength. I was lifting 4-5 days/week previously and I didn't think that a 3 day routine would be enough. I was wrong. It totally feels like you could do more but, after you get a few Squat/DL days under your belt, and your glutes are still feeling it the next day, you'll begin to realize exactly how important rest days are to your body. I've made great gains in strength and I look a heck of a lot better too with this program. I'm a total newb, but SS is definitely working for me.
    That sounds very encouraging... What's SS?
    Oh and i was thinking, maybe i could run on my off days... would that still be considered an off day though?

That sounds very encouraging... What's SS?
    Oh and i was thinking, maybe i could run on my off days... would that still be considered an off day though?
    Starting Strength. I'll let those who are much farther along than me answer the running question.

Oh, and if there's one thing that I've learned, your diet makes all the difference.

Please just take one! MadScientist's Avatar
    Choose what you want to do. If you want to gain muscle, then do it, bulk up. Dont run, dont jog, skip, jump, dont do cardio.

If you want short term results, like cutting up for the beach, then do your cardio and cut the fat and lower your carbs.

But for gods sake choose, iof you are doing both, then both efforts are acting in opposition to eachother, and at best you will be tired and right back where you started.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Choose what you want to do. If you want to gain muscle, then do it, bulk up. Dont run, dont jog, skip, jump, dont do cardio.

If you want short term results, like cutting up for the beach, then do your cardio and cut the fat and lower your carbs.

But for gods sake choose, iof you are doing both, then both efforts are acting in opposition to eachother, and at best you will be tired and right back where you started.
    Ok then the goal sounds like i should be bulking up now, and then cut down in june for the summer...
    But i have question, is there any way to bulk up without gaining too much fat? That's basically my concern with bulking up... Just ending up with a whole bunch of fat on my body when really i only want muscle

Ok then the goal sounds like i should be bulking up now, and then cut down in june for the summer...
    But i have question, is there any way to bulk up without gaining too much fat? That's basically my concern with bulking up... Just ending up with a whole bunch of fat on my body when really i only want muscle
    Yes. Dont eat too much. Do SS and count your calories. If you want to gain then eat about 500 cals a day more than maintaince
    Sarvamangalam!