The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Good to see you didnt loose a step in the short lay off. And i like the added bench goal ull have those shattered before you know it. Oh and i started my journal the other day heres the link if you wanna check it man...

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124253

May 5th

Today was a good day. My squats are getting a bit easier, so I'm going to attempt a 5lb increase on Thursday. I increased weights in my push press and power cleans. My shoulders were burning a bit from the weight increase, but I think if I pushed a bit harder, I could do even more weight. So that's what I'm going to do, next session, the weights go up another 5lbs.

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x175lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x185lbs

Push Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x85lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x125lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x130lbs
    Last edited by nockits; 05-05-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

May 7th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x175lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x190lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x180lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x330lbs

Increasing the weight on all 3 lifts on the same day was a biatch. Even though they were small increments of 5lbs, it made the biggest difference. I managed to do squats without too much difficulty, but was spent. Bench just killed my arms, and I failed on the last rep of the last set. The deadlift was the worst by far. I think because the other two lifts kicked the **** outta me, I had lots of difficulty lifting it. I think I spent more energy holding onto the bar (on the last rep) than I did getting it up, I was just stalling mid-lift!
    Last edited by nockits; 05-12-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Those Squats are moving up nicely. And damn those Deads are looking good man. 330 for 5 is solid ... thats where i got some catching up to do haha.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

May 10th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x175lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x190lbs

Push Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x120lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x130lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x135lbs

Pull-ups
    3x2xBW

Today was a definitely good for me. My squats were a lot easier than on Thurs.
    The push press is coming along nicely, I actually think I could have added another 5lbs. to match my power cleans, which I will do next session.
    As for the power cleans, I've reached my goal of 135lbs about 5 days early! It was definitely a bit harder to do with the increase in weight, but I pulled it off without any problems.
    I started to do a modified version of SS I found somewhere, where pull-ups were added to workout B, and dips were added to workout A. It's sad that I could only do 2 proper pull-ups at the end of my work out, but practice makes perfect!
    Last edited by nockits; 05-13-2009 at 08:50 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

May 12th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x175lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x190lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x180lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x330lbs

Dips
    1x10xBW
    2x5xBW

I was very excited after my deadlifts, they started feeling light already, so I will be adding another 5lbs to it next session.
    My bench is coming along nicely, one more sessions and I'll increase it.
    Today, for some odd reason, just as I was about to squat, my left quad became extremely sore, I couldn't even step on it and some angles. After more stretching and warm-ups sets, I was confident I could squat, which I did. Maybe another session or two before I increase it again.
    I also added dips (the one using the dip station with the horizontal handles, not on the ground using a bench). Like chin-ups, I'm going to wait till I can do 3x10xBW before adding weight.
    Last edited by nockits; 05-12-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

LuNa
    Looking very good man! After you told me to look into Starting Strength a couple of weeks ago i have already added a bunch of weight to the exercises. Not as impressive as your numbers still though, but on my way. Thanks for that.
    Was just wondering one thing. Today i did a deadlift where i raised the bar about 3-4 cm, using some rubber mats before doing the lift. This made it easier for me to keep my back straight and tight, however i was wondering if this makes it less intense? Do you always do it from the ground or do you raise it a bit as well?

LuNa
    Hey dude!

Could not send a pm due to post count so here it is .

I havent been lifting long. I did in total around 6 months of not knowing what to do, spread over 2-3 years. Until i moved to Australia and got really into it. Now i have been lifting for around 2 months seriously, with 4 weeks into starting strength.
    I always did it from the ground and i was looking at some deadlifting movies and it looks like i was doing it alright from the floor up. Will have to see what works best. Thanks for the quick reply and i will keep an eye on your log to see if i can keep up with you .

Now, to work on that postcount

May 14th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x175lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x190lbs

Push Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x120lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x135lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x135lbs
    2x5x140lbs

Pull-ups
    1x3xBW
    2x2xBW

Squats are still heavy for me, but it is geting easier, so I will try to increase the weight by 5lbs next session.
    The push press felt really good.
    The power cleans seemed really light so I increased it by 5lbs. Holy **** man, I gotta tell ya, 5lbs makes the biggest difference!
    I was rather happy with my performance today, I even managed to bust out 1 more pull-up than last time. Progress is being made...
    Check out my Journal!

LuNa
    Looking really good. The idea of your squat weight alone makes me ashamed of myself . Keep going!
    Btw, how did you learn power cleans? I am a bit afraid of doing them because they seem to be really complicated.

May 19th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x195lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x180lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x335lbs

Dips
    1x10xBW
    1x8xBW
    1x6xBW

I saw great improvements in all my lifts except for my bench. This could be because I skipped a day (was feeling to tired to lift), and had the extra rest. However I tackled the increase in my squats and deadlifts without a problem. I will keep it at this weight for another session before increasing it.
    Check out my Journal!

May 21st

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x195lbs

Push Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x120lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x135lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    2x5x140lbs
    1x4x140lbs

Pull-ups
    1x3xBW
    2x2xBW

I don't know what was going on today, but my power cleans were a mess! Squats were ok, I might up it a bit next time. Push press was no problemo. But for some reason, power cleans kicked my ass. By the end of the second set, I could tell my third was going to be difficult, but me being stubborn, I didn't drop the weight. My form was so bad, I'm sure you would all be ashamed of me. Not only that, I couldn't complete the last rep. I'm going to have to get my act together. Next time, if it's a problem, I'll drop the weight.
    Check out my Journal!

May 25th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x195lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x185lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x340lbs

Dips
    1x10xBW
    1x9xBW
    1x5xBW

For the past couple weeks I've been able to go to the gym only twice a week, which is why I believe I'm seeing better results, because of more rest! I'm going to try increasing my squats to 200 on Wed. I accidentally put 185 on my bench, but was too lazy to take it off, so I decided to go with it. Surprisingly, I powered through it without too much difficulty. Deadlift was easy too! I could have done more if I reset each time, my grip was slipping badly. I'm going to do it one more time at this weight just to make sure I'm ok before increasing. I was a bit disappointed with dips, thought I would increase more, but I guess it's alright seeing how I increased in other lifts.
    Last edited by nockits; 05-25-2009 at 06:11 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

I Wanna Be Strong(er)
    good stuff man!
    nail that 200 on wed!
    Get Strong(er)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...58#post2340758
    "You Were Born Small & Weak....But Nobody Said You Have To Stay That Way"

"Gain weight - this is almost impossible to recommend right now. The whole world is on a skinny jeans kick and visible abs are "in". What is also in-style is not being a narcissitic pussy. Performance trumps looks EVERYTIME. Just ask the next woman you sleep with" Jim Wendler

May 27th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x200lbs

Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x120lbs
    Working Set:
    1x3x135lbs
    1x5x125lbs
    1x5x120lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    5x3x140lbs

Pull-ups
    2x1xBW
    1x1xBW

I was glad that my squats finally broke the 200 mark today. Had no troubles at all, and I'm excited because I'm really close to my goal.
    I found out that I was doing the wrong type of press for the past 3 months, so I switched it to strict press, but my weight went down drastically. Hopefully I can bring that up fast.
    The power cleans were much better today, as I changed the set/rep scheme as well, which gave me more time to rest.
    Unfortunately my pull-ups suffered, which I'm going to blame on my mess of presses.
    Check out my Journal!

Sick dude! Looking strong! ... 200 on the Squats ... NICE! Having 3x5x200 up there looks awesome ... must have felt great. Yeah ull be reppin out 2 plates in no time. I didnt realize you were actually doing a Push Press instead of a Strict Press this whole time. Yeah its a lot tougher but ull be back at 135 before you know it ... im coming up on it soon myself ... cant wait! Good to see you liked the 5x3 Cleans ... there definitely the way to go.

LuNa
    Its looking pretty sweet. Squats are coming along nicely. You are well under way and should meet your goal with time to spare. Press is good, i find them insanely hard to do, so good going. I like this scheme for the cleans as well. Gives you better form, more time to rest and it feels a lot better.

Keep up the hard work!

thanks guys! i'll definitely keep at it! lately i've been only going twice a week, which i find is giving me more energy when i do get in the gym. hopefully i'll be able to hit the gym 3 times a week more consistently.
    Check out my Journal!

June 3rd

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x205lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    2x5x185lbs
    1x4x185lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x4x345lbs

Dips
    1x10xBW
    1x8xBW
    1x7xBW

So I took a week off, and hit the gym. I started working on serious stretching and flexibility training, which helped my quite a bit with my squats! I definitely felt the difference, went deeper and heavier! I'm very close to me goal when I started less than a year ago.
    I thought I could come back without any strength loss. I did fail on my 4th rep of the last set for benching, but that's alright, I'll get it next time.
    I did mention that I was going to keep the same weight for deadlifts, but without paying attention, added 5 more lbs. I almost did all 5 reps! I think I'll be able to nail it next time for sure!
    Dips are feeling better, hopefully my pull-ups will increase like my dips are.
    Last edited by nockits; 06-04-2009 at 10:05 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

Nice work dude. Yeah missing the 2 reps isent a big deal especially after a week off. What kind of stretching and flexibility training are you doing? Im always struggling with my flexibility. I started foam rolling a few weeks back and noticed right away that its definitely helped my Squat.

June 5th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x205lbs

Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x75lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    2x5x125
    1x5x120

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    5x3x140lbs

Pull-ups
    1x4xBW
    2x2xBW

Squats were a lot more difficult today, I wasn't really in the zone today when lifting. If I could get myself to focus, I could have done much better.
    Press was alright. I was hoping I could do 125lbs across all 3 sets, but I'm almost there.
    Power Cleans felt good today, I was getting tired on the last 2 sets though, my form was slipping just a bit.
    I was really pleased that I was able to double my numbers for pull-ups. Can't wait till I can do more!
    Last edited by nockits; 06-07-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

Keep up the effort man! It'll pay off!
    Sarvamangalam!

June 8th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x210lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x185lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x4x345lbs

Dips
    2x10xBW
    1x6xBW

After taking the weekend off, I came back and hit those squats harder! Although the bar felt heavy across my back, I was able to go deeper without a problem. I think my stretching and flexibility training is paying off already! I'm gettin' real close to my goal!
    I was able to complete all 3 sets of benching unassisted, which obliterated my tris. Since my arms were toast, I think this affected my deadlifts, as I was not able to complete that final rep, again...
    Dips were really good! I got 2 sets of 10 complete (although I was struggling) and started working away on that last set. Soon I'll be able to add weight to my dips!
    Last edited by nockits; 06-09-2009 at 07:19 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

June 10th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x210lbs

Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x75lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x125

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x115lbs
    1x2x125lbs
    Working Set:
    5x3x140lbs

Pull-ups
    1x4xBW
    2x2xBW

Squats were good today, but not easy enough to increase weights next time. I feel like the reason I was able to increase weights so fast was because I was going to the gym 2 times a week lately. I'm trying to get back in 3 times. I'm aiming to increase my squats by Monday next week.
    OH Press was great! I had to use a bit of momentum from my legs to push out the very last rep, but it was a vast improvement from last time!
    I've been experiencing sharp pains in my elbow when I do power cleans, so I'm going to see if I can get an elbow wrap for next time.
    Hopefully I'll be able to bang out more pull-ups next time around.
    Last edited by nockits; 06-11-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

June 11th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x115lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x210lbs

Bench
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x165lbs
    Working Set:
    2x5x185lbs

Squats were feeling good enough to increase on my next session.
    However, when I was benching, pain shot up through my left elbow (I created a thread about this once). I immediately stopped my workout and left for home. I know it's the tendon, so I'm taking a week off (and possibly longer). In the meanwhile I'm still gonna hit the gym and squat, and do some ab work and cardio.
    Check out my Journal!