The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LuNa
    Sorry to hear about your elbow. Good idea indeed to give it some rest whilst doing some squatting. Hope you will be back at full strength soon!

Wannabebig Member
    Squats were good today, but not easy enough to increase weights next time. I feel like the reason I was able to increase weights so fast was because I was going to the gym 2 times a week lately. I'm trying to get back in 3 times. I'm aiming to increase my squats by Monday next week.
    It's not supposed to be easy. Why are you so conservative with your weight increases? The Starting Strength program is built on the principle of linear progressive resistance, which means adding weight every workout unless you missed reps the previous time. For novices like you and me, it works almost like magic. When you well and truly platteau (which could easily be more than a month and 50 pounds from now), you'll have totally rediscovered how much effort you can put into a lift. It's an amazing experience.

Congratulations on the success you've had so far, and good luck blasting past all your goals.
    Last edited by Ikcelaks; 06-15-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Yeah sorry to hear about the set back man. Definitely keep smashing those Squats in the mean time and come back strong.
    Confidence ... Its The Food Of The Wise Man ... But The Liquor Of The Fools.

June 17th

Squats
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    2x5x225lbs

Went into the gym just for the sake of doing SOMETHING rather than sit around. Instead of putting on 215, I skipped right up to 225, and managed to bust off two sets with great form! I didn't do the last set because I didn't think I would be able to do it without messing up my form (or GMing out of the hole at least). But I was pretty happy to be doing 2 sets, considering that I went in thinking I couldn't complete even one set.
    I'm very close to my goal of 3 sets! Next week I'll nail it for sure!
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Wow dude just ... wow! Are you kidding me? What made you do that? Jumping up 15 lbs is awesome. Musta felt great finally getting those 2 plates up there. Thats a strong Squat man ... nice work!

On a side note though ... What do you do to keep yourself from GMing outta the hole? Im finding thats turning into my problem. Is there any kind of cue or anything you keep in mind to try to prevent it?

LuNa
    Congratulations mate! I am sure you will nail that next week and then the fun of a new goal will start. Doing an awesome job.

June 18th

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x3x345lbs

Went to the gym the day after, and did some deadlifts. After not deadlifting for almost 2 weeks, I only managed 3 reps, so next time I'll knock it back down to 340. I also did 4 pullups when my elbow started acting up again.
    I plan on going to the gym in the next couple days, and resume my SS workout, but with VERY LIGHT weights, just so I don't strain my elbow too much. I might also wrap it with a tensor bandage.
    Check out my Journal!

I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

June 23rd

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

Bench Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x155lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x295lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x315lbs

Dips
    1x6xBW

WHO JUST ACHIEVED THEIR LONG-TERM GOALS??? I DID MOTHAF***KA!!!
    Hit the 3 sets of 225 with ease! I might even be able to add another 5 next time!
    Due to my elbow injury, I decided to deload on all my lifts (except squats), and work at a comfortable rate until I heal completely. Hence the reason my dips, deadlift, and bench numbers are lower.
    I'll set new goals, and hopefully by deloading I can break through some barriers, and heal my elbow quickly.
    Check out my Journal!

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    hey nice stuff. Though I'd repay the favour for posting in my journal
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

June 26th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    1x3x225lbs

Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    Working Set:
    1x3x115lbs

Pull-ups
    1x3xBW

These past couple days, I've been doing really intense ballroom practices that have a different effect on my body than weightlifting does. When I went under that squat bar today, I couldn't even complete a set without GMing and messing up form!
    I did want to do SOMETHING however, so I did some light presses at a comfortable level, and skipped cleans altogether.
    Didn't want to ignore my back, so I did pull-ups, but only managed 3... at this point, I was feeling very disappointed, and didn't do anymore.
    While doing some ab work, my dad (while trying to assist me in one of the exercises) ended up making me twist my elbow, which brings me back to square one. After almost two weeks of no major complaints, I injure it! Great!
    Recovering will take a VERY long time...
    Last edited by nockits; 06-26-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

June 30th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

Bench Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x165lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x275lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x335lbs

Dips
    1x10xBW

Did better with squats this time around, however I did catch myself GMing a couple times during the third set.
    Bench was okay, I only did one working set.
    And I was struggling with deadlift a bit on that last rep, but I did jump 20lbs since last time.
    And I did complete a set of 10 dips comfortably. Didn't push myself for more because I didn't want to strain my elbow again.
    Last edited by nockits; 07-07-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

July 3rd

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x85lbs
    1x2x95lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x115lbs

Pull-ups
    1x4xBW
    1x3xBW

Squats are still giving me a hard time. I think jumping up the way I did from 210 to 225 stalled my linear progress a bit.
    While doing Presses and Pull-ups, I was able to do a bit more, but I definitely felt it in my shoulders. I think they're the weaker, if not weakest, part of my body. I guess in time this will get better.
    I didn't try power cleans again, but next workout B, I definitely will at a light weight.
    I also started doing 30 minutes cardio with a garbage bag on every day to help with some fat reduction. My diet isn't really helping as much as it used to, and I don't want to reduce it anymore or I think I'll start seeing significant strength loss.
    Last edited by nockits; 07-04-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    Check out my Journal!

July 7th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

Bench Press

Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x175lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x275lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x335lbs

Dips
    2x10xBW

The first set of squats felt really light. Then the next two became a real trouble. This could be due to the somewhat intense cardio I started doing. But I'm in no hurry to get those numbers up.
    The rest of my lifts increased a bit, and I can safely say that in the next week or two, I'll be right back up to my original numbers. My elbow isn't bothering me much anymore!
    Last edited by nockits; 07-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Check out my Journal!

gettin strong my friend! Nice Job!

LuNa
    Really happy to hear about your elbow. It was a great idea to give it some rest and then start working it again, but with light weight. Still doing really well on the squats! Great work!

July 14th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

OH Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x75lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x120lbs

Power Clean

Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    5x3x135lbs

Pull-ups
    1x5xBW
    1x3xBW
    1x2xBW

After a brief, and very disappointing gym session on Saturday, I decided to void that workout and try workout B again. This time with much better results.
    It's been 3 weeks since my elbow injury, and I decided that it was healed and tried to go full-strength again. I did lose a little bit of strength, but I was happy that it wasn't anything too drastic.
    My squats seem to be stuck at this weight, but hopefully I'll be able to push hard enough to increase it next workout. My OH press and power cleans dropped by 5lbs, but I think with this time off, I can blow past them. I have about 6 weeks left of my summer vacation. I really want to make some good gains, and so far, haven't made much.
    But I guess I got all my life to do that... better than having a messed up elbow!
    Check out my Journal!

July 17th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x225lbs

Bench Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x155lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x175lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x275lbs
    Working Set:
    1x5x340lbs

Dips
    2x10xBW
    1x1xBW

Today was my first "workout A" that I struggled with. Again, after 3 weeks of light work, I pushed as hard as I can. I'm really worried that my squats are not going anywhere. Could it be that I'm going 2 times a week with SS?
    My deadlifts were great, and there was even a tad... just a tad... light. I'll be able to blow past this next time.
    Check out my Journal!

Hey bro,

I am at the same weight doing squats - 225. I think you may be hurting yourself by not going 3 times per week. I am 47 years old, and I think I get plenty of recovery time with one day. Not to say that on my recovery day I'm not in pain(soreness, stiffness). Today I am going for 230 3x5 so we'll see. I have noticed that when I eat alot and take my protein I can easily go up 5-10 lbs a week with squats. If I don't eat like I should I struggle with my last weight.

I also started doing weighted back hyper extensions. This has really help my lower back strength and keeps the Good Mornings at bay. Sometime if I need to Good Morning I don't panic because I know my lower back is strong and I can get upright.

Rippetoe designed the routine to do squats 3 times a week since the volume isn't too much that you can't recover from.

Good luck)

July 21st

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x205lbs

OH Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x75lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x125lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    5x3x140lbs

Pull-ups
    1x5xBW
    1x3xBW
    1x2xBW

Today was pretty good for me. I definitely needed the deload on my squats. Even at 205lbs I had to push a little. This allowed me to increase my other lifts though. The press was good, but I'll keep it at that weight for one more session before I feel confident enough to increase it again. The power cleans were fabulous however. I could definitely add more!
    Check out my Journal!

I'm the same way as you with squats. It's like once you hit that certain point, even 5 more lbs. seems like such a b**** to add on. I'm rootin for ya to get past that 3x5x225 point though!
    Last edited by brihead301; 07-22-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

July 23rd

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x210lbs

Bench Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x155lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x180lbs

Deadlift
    Warm up:
    2x5x135lbs
    1x5x185lbs
    1x3x225lbs
    1x2x275lbs
    Working Set:
    1x4x345lbs

Dips
    2x10xBW
    1x5xBW

Even at a lower weight, the squats were still heavy! I expected it to be quite a bit lighter! Bench was good, it's going up slowly. I almost completed the whole set of deads, but couldn't lock out on the last rep, so I didn't count it. If I could have held on a bit longer, I think I would have, but my grip started slipping a bit which threw me off completely. I'll get it next time!
    Check out my Journal!

Looks like your back man. Good to see. Ahh you finally gave in to the Squat deload haha. My Squat has been feeling much strong since i deloaded hoping i can bust through that 205 and get to your 225 level. You think jumping right up to 225 hurt you at all?

LuNa
    Deloading your squats was a good idea. I did it before as well to work on form and the lighter weight still seemed heavy as ****. However, now that i am back at 225, it seems to be allright. I think we are at the point that it is gonna feel heavy, just because it is heavy.

Keep up the work!

July 26th

Squat
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x95lbs
    1x3x135lbs
    1x2x185lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x210lbs

OH Press
    Warm-up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x75lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    3x5x125lbs

Power Clean
    Warm up:
    2x5x45lbs
    1x5x65lbs
    1x3x95lbs
    1x2x115lbs
    Working Set:
    1x3x145lbs

Pull-ups
    1x5xBW
    1x3xBW
    1x2xBW

Squats were good. They were challenging, but widening my stance by a couple inches took care of that. OH Press was definitely harder today, and I failed on my last rep, so I had to use some leg drive to get it up. I increased the weight on my power cleans (because last time it was pretty easy). This time it was TOO much! The first set was rough, and I didn't even count the second set because my form was just horrible! I stopped it there, and I'll lower the weight and try again one more time just to see where I'm at. I think my progress with SS is coming to an end soon.
    Check out my Journal!

Ya, it seems as if you are getting to the point where you are going to either have to put on some extra weight, or change up your programming in order to continue to get stronger. I'd say a few more deloads may help a bit, but at your current weight, this progression does seem like it's coming to it's end. Keep it up though, strength gains come very slowly.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!