The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member
    CALIFORNIA, Bally total fitness is where i shake my ass every day to lose the fat and get into shape do my cardio and lift the weights heavy.

Smoking Cigaretts

Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle. what do you guys that smoke think about that, or any opinion. i know its bad but it's a must sometimes on my off days. not a chain smoker

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not going to sit here and try to list all the dangers of smoking, they are well known and I'm sure you're aware. I don't think it affects muscle growth directly, but it will affect your cardiovascular health which could in turn hinder your training. I would seriously find another way to relax or unwind, if that's what why you occasionally smoke.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Either quit all together or switch to dip. Many lifters (and athletes for that matter) chew or dip tobacco. At least this way you're getting your addictive drug without damaging your lungs/heart by way of smoke.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    Either quit all together or switch to dip. Many lifters (and athletes for that matter) chew or dip tobacco. At least this way you're getting your addictive drug without damaging your lungs/heart by way of smoke.
    Not true at all. A dip won't affect your lungs, but the nicotine still enters your bloodstream. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Smokel...th-a0133280143
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Banned
    bigeddy what do you want us to tell you?

Smoking is the single dumbest thing you can do in your life. Everyone knows how bad it is, it's expensive and it kills you. Who even cares about its effects on your muscles. Here's a thought: did it ever occur to you that your heart is a muscle? Smoking is a leading cause of heart disease, so yes, it's bad for you muscles.

Just because you aren't a chain smoker does not mean you will not become one. I started smoking socially, and was addicted after about 6 months. It took me another 4-5 months to realize how addicted I'd become, then another 2 months to convince myself to quit. DO NOT SMOKE.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeddy200 View Post
    Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle. what do you guys that smoke think about that, or any opinion. i know its bad but it's a must sometimes on my off days. not a chain smoker
    Tobacco in any form is not good for heart health or lung health. As far as actually inhibiting muscle growth, I have not heard anything to suggest so.
    But do you think with a damaged cardiovascular system that you can train at your 100% best intensity?
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 03-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Not true at all. A dip won't affect your lungs, but the nicotine still enters your bloodstream. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Smokel...th-a0133280143
    At least you're avoiding the smoke part which is damaging to the lungs.
    Last edited by Progress; 03-13-2009 at 11:52 AM.

At least you're avoiding the smoke part which is damaging to the lungs.
    It's a bit of a moot point though.
    Your lungs need your heart to pump the blood to deliver oxygen to the rest of your body. If you heart isn't working at its full potential what good are healthy lungs?

Starting Current

It's a bit of a moot point though.
    Your lungs need your heart to pump the blood to deliver oxygen to the rest of your body. If you heart isn't working at its full potential what good are healthy lungs?
    Then I'll revert to what I originally said before the "or." The sooner you avoid tobacco all together, the better.

Then I'll revert to what I originally said before the "or." The sooner you avoid tobacco all together, the better.
    I don't blame you at all for originally believing that about dip.
    I know a ton of active kids (especially hockey players) who dipped in highschool because they thought as long as their lungs aren't being damaged it was okay. Plus they liked the buzz it gave them during practices.

Starting Current

Banned
    Hey eddy,

Everyone here has already told you how bad smoking is so I feel that's been covered well enough for me to actually answer your question:

"Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle"
    - No. Not at all. It will make **** all difference.

Wannabebig Member
    CALIFORNIA, Bally total fitness is where i shake my ass every day to lose the fat and get into shape do my cardio and lift the weights heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hey eddy,

Everyone here has already told you how bad smoking is so I feel that's been covered well enough for me to actually answer your question:

"Is smoking sometimes gonna mess up my growth of muscle"
    - No. Not at all. It will make **** all difference.
    thanx for the info yea its bad i feel every one and i will quit that dirty habit its just a stupid thing i do very seldom and i just wanted to know how people that really lift hard do in this situation. im doing good on my journey to lose the weight and gains in muscle but this is my fall back il stay away from this and chew gum or something.

thanx for the info yea its bad i feel every one and i will quit that dirty habit its just a stupid thing i do very seldom and i just wanted to know how people that really lift hard do in this situation. im doing good on my journey to lose the weight and gains in muscle but this is my fall back il stay away from this and chew gum or something.
    Good luck. Quitting is no easy task and takes an enormous amount of discipline, but it's also very worth it in the long run.

Starting Current

Wannabebig Member
    Tobacco in any form is not good for heart health or lung health.
    Rubbish

Nicotine, apart from the whole addictive thing, is not actually that bad for you per se, it is in fact a stimulant that can he helpful by slightly increasing resting metabolism and reducing appetite.

Its the smoking of the nicotine that bad for you.

That sucks for you man, if you aren't already addicted, don't ever touch the stuff again. If you think you can keep casually smoking... haha.

I say it's not really a big deal. It doesn't sound like you're a heavy smoker and there's definitely worse things out there that can kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualT View Post
    Rubbish

Nicotine, apart from the whole addictive thing, is not actually that bad for you per se, it is in fact a stimulant that can he helpful by slightly increasing resting metabolism and reducing appetite.

Yes, nicotine is bad for your heart and vascular system. See the article I posted.
    Also I work for a heart foundation doing cardiology research full time, and just listened to a lecture about the effects of nicotine on your peripheral vascular system.
    Don't answer questions if you have no idea what you are talking about.

Starting Current

Quote Originally Posted by VirtualT View Post
    Rubbish

Yeah cuz nobody ever got mouth or throat cancer from chewing tobacco...

anyhow, to Bigeddy, its not that hard to quit. Just quit. chew gum, and suck on mints. Altoids helped me...i just grabbed one when i'd normally have a cigarette to help break the 'habit' of smoking.

only takes about 7 days to get over the nicotine addiction from a physiological standpoint. after that its just breaking the mind's habit of smoking.
    You can do it and you will feel better.

Vape weed instead
    Last edited by OGROK; 03-17-2009 at 08:16 PM.

I smoked for 3 years and I decided to quit smoking after I started getting really serious with lifting. I then started dipping and haven't smoked since. I think it will be easier to quit dipping than smoking, but it's going to be tough. I don't want to quit dipping because I think it will help my lifting, but so my teeth don't fall out any time soon.

Also, quitting isn't something that is going to go away in a week. When you use nicotine it builds sensors that are in your nervous system that are stimulated by the nicotine. Once these sensors develope from the nicotine you will have them for life and you will always crave nicotine; just not as bad as the physical withdrawl symptoms first after quiting.

After quiting smoking I realized that I had more breath during my workouts and I didn't smell like a shameful smoker while in the gym. Even after being a smoker I still don't realize why people do it and it makes my stomach turn when I think about smoking again. Don't take smoking as a game or joyful passtime. It sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by Tykimeister View Post
    I smoked for 3 years and I decided to quit smoking after I started getting really serious with lifting. I then started dipping and haven't smoked since. I think it will be easier to quit dipping than smoking, but it's going to be tough. I don't want to quit dipping because I think it will help my lifting, but so my teeth don't fall out any time soon.

Also, quitting isn't something that is going to go away in a week. When you use nicotine it builds sensors that are in your nervous system that are stimulated by the nicotine. Once these sensors develope from the nicotine you will have them for life and you will always crave nicotine; just not as bad as the physical withdrawl symptoms first after quiting.

After quiting smoking I realized that I had more breath during my workouts and I didn't smell like a shameful smoker while in the gym. Even after being a smoker I still don't realize why people do it and it makes my stomach turn when I think about smoking again. Don't take smoking as a game or joyful passtime. It sucks...
    See my earlier post, nicotine won't help your gains.

Starting Current

No pain, no gain!
    Smoking is BAD! I know, because I smoke sometimes. Can't do much time on the treadmill then. I have actually thought it doesn't harm your training in any way... well WRONG. Bad breathing - Worse training - LOST MUSCLE!!

Sorry man. U wanna perform to the MAX in the gym, u gotta get rid of those suckers (cigarettes)! Uhm, that counts for me as well...

See my earlier post, nicotine won't help your gains.
    The point is quitting smoking and dipping will help your gains. But quitinig all together will likely help even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykimeister View Post
    The point is quitting smoking and dipping will help your gains. But quitinig all together will likely help even more.
    Got it, I misread your post. I thought you were inferring that dipping was actually helping your lifting .

Starting Current

My lifting was boosted tremendously by quitting smoking. Knowing how much of an impact it has on my lifting has helped me stay cigarette free. Life itself just feels better when you are a non-smoker.
    Last edited by ChrisNeander; 03-18-2009 at 12:37 PM.