Thread: Speed Work

Speed Work

I was wondering how does speed work help make you stronger? Right now I'm doing speed sets on my deadlifts but I'm just trying to understand how they make you stronger oppose to doing heaver slower lifts.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

UPA Lousiana Chairman Eric Downey's Avatar
    The speed in which the muscles fire is what keeps the weight moving sometimes
    CLASH FOR CASH RAW504 SEPT. 11, 2010 KENNER, LA CLICK FOR INFO
    Eric "BIG EZY" Downey
    RAW BENCH BEST: 523 Raw Unity 2010
    RAW UNITY VID
    RAW TOTAL BEST:534.5 - 507 - 556.5 1598 APA Raw Nationals 2010
    534 SQUAT
    507 BENCH
    556 DEADLIFT
    Facebook YOUTUBE

Speed work doesnt make you "stronger"...it makes you faster. You increase the amount of force you can apply to the bar, by using submaximal weights, but pushing as hard as you can. This carrys over to pushing heavy weigths faster...which means that you will blast through your sticking point. Speed work is all about the rate of force development and muscle fiber recruitment.
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Speed work doesnt make you "stronger"...it makes you faster. You increase the amount of force you can apply to the bar, by using submaximal weights, but pushing as hard as you can. This carrys over to pushing heavy weigths faster...which means that you will blast through your sticking point. Speed work is all about the rate of force development and muscle fiber recruitment.
    DAMN! Well put Paul!!!!
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    Thanks for the info!
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    DAMN! Well put Paul!!!!
    I Totally agree!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    705SQ, 457BP, 749DL and 1912 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Andre518 View Post
    I was wondering how does speed work help make you stronger? Right now I'm doing speed sets on my deadlifts but I'm just trying to understand how they make you stronger oppose to doing heaver slower lifts.
    Bencher8 provided some great information. As he noted, it allows you drive through your sticking point.

Think your sticking point as a mud hole. In driving through a mud hole, the more speed you have going though it, in your car, the greater you changes of making it through.

Let me add a little to it.

Speed sets for your deadlift (squat and bench press, as well) fall more into the area of power rather than speed.

Power is the multiplication of Strength X Speed. Power is measured in wattt, just like with light bulbs. The more watts you produce, the greater your power output.

Power = Strength X Speed. If your Strength level were a 2 and your Speed was 2, then your Power Rating = 4 (2 X 2 = 4).

If you can increase your strength to a 3 and you speed to a 3, then you Power = 9. You more than double you power output. Plyometric Bench Press Training For More Strength and Power, http://www.liftinglarge.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=21

The use of moderate loads, roughly 45-60% of you max deadlift or squat, will increase power output. Olympic movements (power cleans, jerks, etc) are even better exercises at developing power output.

Speed (Speed-Strength) training occur primarily with ballistic loads of between 10-40% of your 1RM. Ballistic is defined as object or your body becoming airborne. That means throwing objects (bench press throws, see article above) or jumps (such as jump squats).

A good strength (1RM, Limiit Strength) training program should incorporate some speed and power movements.

Kenny Croxdale