The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW garage gym

NEW garage gym

Ok, so its almost settled, the wife and I are finalizing the lease on a new place that will allow me to drag all of my stuff out of storage and set up my own powerlifting "garage" gym.

Heres the equipment I've got so far:
    Texas squat bar
    texas deadlift bar
    texas power bar
    Safety Squat bar
    cheaper, new york barbells 14 inch cambered bar--I'm replacing this one as soon as I bend it
    ez curl bar
    2 standard olympic bars (one cheap, one better quality)
    dragging sled
    ~600 lbs in 45 lb plates
    several 25's
    a few 35's and some others I can't remember
    glute ham raise
    tires for dragging
    various pieces of homemade strongman equipment--part of a yoke, concrete tires, pipe farmers walk impliments etc
    beltsquat/spotter platforms and Ironmind beltsquat belts
    2 sets of jumpstretch bands (one older, one brand new) and other bands
    rolling thunder
    spud straps
    an old 2x2 power rack
    situp bench/board
    various kettlebells including 2 plate loaded ones
    just over 200 lbs in chain of various sizes (1/2 inch and 5/8 inch) along with some other longer pieces for whatever

There is some other crap equipment I'm probably going to try to sell (like a Weider smith machine/lat pulldown and some other stuff)

I'm looking for a plate loaded/heavy duty pulldown with a low row and a 45 degree back extension, which we'll have by the time I set things up. I'd like to find used, but if I have to I'll buy new. I'm also getting 600lbs in 100 lb plates before we open the doors.

A reverse hyper is also on the want list, but I'm torn between buying a used one, trying to build one, or getting one of the generic ones. In all honesty, I'm not willing to pay what Louie is asking for his models.

I've got a monolift attachment to put into a 3x3 rack, but its somewhat custom made for the rack in the commercial gym I currently work out at. I'd have to modify it slightly to use in a different rack and its not adjustable for different heights without taking apart.

Heres my question: The Williams Strength (Elitefts) monorack rack is much cheaper than getting a new 3x3 rack and a monolift with a competition spec flat dumbell bench.

Does anyone have one of those? How do you like it? Is it worth the money? The thing looks absolutely huge. I'm not 100% sure it'll fit in the room we are putting the equipment, but i'm not above adjusting the ceiling if need be.

Also, does anyone know can you pick something like that up straight from Williams or do you have to ship it? I'd much rather drive up to SC (I live in Alabama, so its not that far) and pick things up than pay to have it shipped and have to deal with that.

Also, am I missing anything? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks.

JK
    Last edited by JK1; 03-28-2009 at 05:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

http://www.1500lb.com/sumopowerracks.html

Ive heard of guys having pretty good luck with these racks, and the price is 1/2 of what a monorack costs. May not be what your are looking for, just an idea.

That gym sounds like it is going to be awesome.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Banned
    I've dealt with williams strength on many occasions (was an officer for Clemson Weight Club and we purchased stuff every year from them). You can pick up stuff instead of having it shipped, just make sure you coordinate with some of the staff so that they know you are coming and when you plan on coming. This spring we picked up a GHR, prowler w/ straps, bunch of bumper plates, and some new bars from them. The GHR wasn't finished when we arrived (needed powdercoating), so we had to wait 3 hours. The sales guys were very friendly and even gave us a free sled for our troubles, so I would definitely recommend them.

If Will is still around, ask for him. He's awesome.

About the monorack, when I was there last we played around with this beast:
    http://www.ahpequipment.com/lib/imag...trmonorack.jpg

That thing was absolutely monstrous, but it was sooooo nice. If you are baller enough $$$$ to get it, go for it. Only in my dreams

Take some pics whenever u get it setup!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post

Ive heard of guys having pretty good luck with these racks, and the price is 1/2 of what a monorack costs. May not be what your are looking for, just an idea.

That gym sounds like it is going to be awesome.
    Thanks. I've talked to Ralph several times and I've purchased bars from him. He seems like a great guy and I'd endorse all of his products based on my previous interactions. He seems like hes just a nice guy too, which adds to it. I'm just not sure this is going to do exactly what I want it to do.

We actually patterend the monolift attachment I've got now from that same design. I know a very good welder who came in, took measurements and for 200 bucks set me up with a very solid piece of equipment (he also said he's never doing another one for less than $600, so I guess I got an excellent deal). The thing is its designed for a 3x3 rack with a 2 inch hole spacing and once its set up, everyone has to squat from the same height because its difficult to adjust. I'm not sure that these racks are much easier to adjust with a loaded bar on them. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess I need to call Ralph again.

Thanks

JK
    Last edited by JK1; 03-28-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    I've dealt with williams strength on many occasions (was an officer for Clemson Weight Club and we purchased stuff every year from them). You can pick up stuff instead of having it shipped, just make sure you coordinate with some of the staff so that they know you are coming and when you plan on coming. This spring we picked up a GHR, prowler w/ straps, bunch of bumper plates, and some new bars from them. The GHR wasn't finished when we arrived (needed powdercoating), so we had to wait 3 hours. The sales guys were very friendly and even gave us a free sled for our troubles, so I would definitely recommend them.

If Will is still around, ask for him. He's awesome.

About the monorack, when I was there last we played around with this beast:

That thing was absolutely monstrous, but it was sooooo nice. If you are baller enough $$$$ to get it, go for it. Only in my dreams

EXCELLENT! Thank you. this is the information I was looking for (well this and the actual size of the monorack and if the catchpins can go all the way to the top of the rack) Money isn't really an issue. Well it is, I'm a perpetual tight ass, but I may also end up training with just me and my wife sometimes, so getting good equipment where we both feel safe in makes a HUGE difference. I see this as a one time gym expense that I'll use for the next 20 years or more---my 2x2 rack is 17years old. Its a bit rusty, but it still works. Its just not enough of a rack for what I can lift now. Take the price of something like a monorack over 20 years and its worth every penny vs a rack falling apart, me getting smashed (as strong as my wife is, she's not spotting me with 800+ squats or 600+ benches) under a heavy weight etc... So, I'm biting the bullet and spending the money if thats what things end up happening. Its worth it. I gotta convince the wife.... but that doesn't stop me from strongly considering it either.

So they have one up on the display floor? I'm tempted to drive up there some Friday (its about 4 and a half hours from where I live) and take a look at the thing to see if its actually what I want. One HUGE factor is going to be just how big this thing actually is. If its too tall, I'm going to either find something else, or cut a hole in the ceiling of the room (which I'm considering).

Thanks again. Your information is what I was looking for. Does anyone on this board actually have one?

JK

Quote Originally Posted by Tank82 View Post
    Take some pics whenever u get it setup!
    No problem.

We are signing the lease this week and then set to move the end of June beginning of July. It may be August or September before I get everything finished and put together. If I have to do some construction (ie knock out a wall, change the ceiling, etc) it may take a bit longer.

Crepinsek is good. I just got a custom mono attachment for my power rack. He lives ~1 hour from me. He installed it for me, because he wanted to get photos of a custom mono attachment after it's installed. His stuff is high quality. He can customize to make whatever you want.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    Yeah they have a little showroom with a lot of fun stuff. We had a good time trying to pick up the replica Thomas inch dumbbell.

If you were to visit williams strength and decide that something about the monorack needs modifying, they would probably do it. When I was their last they showed me a few custom pieces of equipment that the Clemson football coach had asked for, so I know it can be done.

Wannabebig Member
    JK1, what part of Alabama are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by jefflance1 View Post
    JK1, what part of Alabama are you in?
    Um, this place will be relatively rural. out by Notasulga

I train at the Golds Gym in Opelika right now.

Wannabebig Member
    I live in North Alabama. Just didn't know for sure where you were located.

Well the lease has been sent in, I talked with Williams Strength and will be going up to look at equipment the next day during the week I'm off work...

Does anyone on this forum have a monorack or know of one somewhere in or near east Alabama? I'd really like to squat in one of these things before I drop $$ on it.

Thanks.....

JK

Are you talking about the Crepinseck mono attachment for a power rack? My only complaint is there's no locking sound when it swings out or swings back into place. We use verbal commands to let the lifter know when the hooks swing out, and then when they are back in place to rack it. He makes it so everything is very adjustable. You can adjust how far the arms swing out. You can adjust the width of the hooks that hold the bar. Here's video of our first session using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXiIPLDm4Y
    www.wildirongym.com

You guys are wanting me to build a gym in my garage!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Are you talking about the Crepinseck mono attachment for a power rack? My only complaint is there's no locking sound when it swings out or swings back into place. We use verbal commands to let the lifter know when the hooks swing out, and then when they are back in place to rack it. He makes it so everything is very adjustable. You can adjust how far the arms swing out. You can adjust the width of the hooks that hold the bar. Here's video of our first session using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXiIPLDm4Y

No, I'm talking about one of these:

I've already got a custom made monolift attachment based on Crepinseks that we take in and out of the commercial gym. Crepinsek has been great to me and has my complete endorsement. He makes very good equipment. In the case of this one, I wanted something that fit the unique bits of the rack and it was easier to just have a fabricator/welder come in and measure things then try to get it done long distance.

We patterened the one I have somewhat after that one, but to fit the rack in the gym. It has the same plusses and minuses. The biggest problem is the height adjustment--we built it without the hydraulic jacks because they wouldnt work with the plate holders on that rack. It has to be partially disassembled to adjust the height and height adjustments may not fit the individual lifter as good as a true monolift.

I've got a place to put something good, so I figured what the heck, time to go all out.

I still need to get measurements on the monorack though and check ceiling height. It may not fit exactly where I want to put it. We'll see.

Like I said before, if I can find someone who has one, I'd love to try it out before I commit to getting one.

That thing looks like a tank! I don't know anyone that has one.
    www.wildirongym.com

Quote Originally Posted by JK1 View Post
    No, I'm talking about one of these:
    ^^^ I'm in love^^^
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 775/575/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/415/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    ^^^ I'm in love^^^
    I was JUST going to say that!

Pics, pics, pics when it's complete!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I think there was a gym recently in powerlifting usa that had one of those. It looked beast as hell!

Banned
    Its going to be hard as hell to find someone with that in their home gym. Seems like many home gymers would deem this a little overkill and too expensive....

Maybe you can contact Williams strength to see if any customers/gyms with the monorack are in your area??????????

That mono rack is ****in sick..
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

6'0"
    215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Its going to be hard as hell to find someone with that in their home gym. Seems like many home gymers would deem this a little overkill and too expensive....

Maybe you can contact Williams strength to see if any customers/gyms with the monorack are in your area??????????

Yeah, I can see that. Its one of those things I don't see just anyone getting. I was hoping I'd get lucky.

Williams apparently sold their "floor model" recently and won't have a new one for a couple of weeks. They told me they had sold something like 2 in Georgia, but didn't give any more information.

Banned
    Maybe Spud's gym in Columbia has one??? South Carolina Barbell?