Thread: Low Back Pain

Wannabebig Member

Low Back Pain

Not really sure where this should go.

A little history first. Back in college (many, many years ago) I hurt my back showing off. Nothing permanent I thought, just a really bad pulled muscle. Doctor said don't squat anymore (who didn't see that coming). I have been terrified of squats ever since then. I pretty much did no real weight lifting for about fifteen years.

I started lifting again seriously about 2 months ago and things were progressing pretty smoothly until last week. I'm not really sure what I did but I now have pain in my lower back. The pain did not start in the gym, I started getting a twinge about two days later and it's nagging but not debilitating or anything like that.

Currently I am doing WBB original routine and the working set for the big lifts are Bench 255, squat 275, dead 315, SL Dead 275-315 depending on how I feel that day. This is the first time I've ever done any kind of deadlift so my form may be off but it looks good in the mirror.

My question is do I work through it with the same weight, lower the weight and keep the exercises, change exercises, drop exercises that hit the lower back, or just layoff everything for a week or so and see if it gets better?
    Age 39
    Ht 6' Wt 218
    Bench 295
    Squat 315
    Dead 395

Banned
    I had the same problem as you...I took time off squats then hit it hard 3 times a week for 6 weeks. Got it back up to 275 for my 3x5. Unfortunately, this tightened the crap out of my glutes and hams which gave me back pain. I tried stretching my hams and my hips but still had back pain. The only stretch that has relieved my pain was this stretch:

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/Gluteu...atedFloor.html

Except I do it seated from a chair. I was barely able to touch my knees about a week ago. I have been doing this 3x a day since then and I can now put my finger tips on the floor and my back pain has diminished a lot. I would take 1-2 weeks off and see if this stretch helps you at all.

I have the exact same problem. It's a constant worry for me and I often I have to fight a niggle here or there.

Mine is without doubt due to my mobility and my hips being right. On the lower part of the deadlift and as I approach paralell on squat my form suffers and pressure gets onto the lower back instead of the glutes. So, I am backing of from going so deep on squats and just doing romanian deadlifts for now with strict form and not too much weight and being patient. Also on the side I am working on my mobility.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

If you have a history of a back problem, you really need to strengthen your low back and abs if you want to squat and dl. Believe me I know. I have two ruptured discs in my back. A variety of good mornings, consistent ab work, and stretching will do wonders.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo