The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CP covered the shoulder rep range pretty well. Jay, I might even suggest you use the 20-30 rep range on the decline as well.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Heres my workout from yesterday. My quads were still sore from sundays workout but I decided to do back squats anyway (I literally havent done them in about 6 months). I injured my right hamstring a while back but it still bothers me on squats, which is why I havent done them in so long.

Cable Curls
    - 97.5x8 (too heavy), 82.5x6, 82.5x3
    Pinwheel Curls- 60x15 straight set
    Seated/Standing(inbetween) Calves- 45+25 per side x 10, First time doing this machine, it killed
    Goodmornings- 135x15, Should have gone heavier and I need to figure out my form on these
    Back Squats- 315x4, 205x16, I should have easily been able to rep out 20 of 205 but to my surprise I had the biggest back pumps ever. The h-drol is definitely working, the pumps hurt just as bad as when I was on dbol. This stuff is no joke. I literally could barely walk afterward because of my lower back.

Edit: Oh yea and I forgot to mention I did some HIIT jump roping today. My fat ass needs to do more of this, I was out of breath real quick.
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 04-09-2009 at 09:35 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    CP covered the shoulder rep range pretty well. Jay, I might even suggest you use the 20-30 rep range on the decline as well.
    20-30 even if I have a spotter? Just to compare, how many seconds are you usually able to hold the weight during static holds, Joey? Since I typically aim for 15 RP reps, the static holds are always a bitch. I'm lucky to get 10 seconds.
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 04-09-2009 at 10:12 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Jay checking your journal so I was doing some research on the H drol. One of the journals over at bb.com said he started getting puffy nips, pretty sure your up on all that. Good luck with DC, I tried it for a bit. I think if I try it again I will ease into it more, went to heavy on things.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Jay checking your journal so I was doing some research on the H drol. One of the journals over at bb.com said he started getting puffy nips, pretty sure your up on all that. Good luck with DC, I tried it for a bit. I think if I try it again I will ease into it more, went to heavy on things.
    Hey Bill, thanks for the heads up. I've still got plenty of nolva sitting around so if I run into any trouble I'll be taking that.

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    20-30 even if I have a spotter? Just to compare, how many seconds are you usually able to hold the weight during static holds, Joey? Since I typically aim for 15 RP reps, the static holds are always a bitch. I'm lucky to get 10 seconds.
    I would stay with 20-30 even with a spotter. Maybe when you are ending a blast you might get a bit lower in the rep range, but 20-30 is a good range to be in. Static holds for me get used sparingly. If I fall outside the rep range, I might add one in for an exercise. 15-20 seconds on those and I am spent. Best exercises to use them on are the press movements and curl movements. Be careful, as they can compromise recovery, so listen to your body. One thing that stands out with me in your last workout is great effort, but you might want to reconsider your ham and quad exercise combinations. Doing a set of good mornings to failure followed by 2 sets of Squats to failure could fry you quick. I like a leg curl movement or sumoe leg press as an exercise before squatting. Keep up the good work and keep focusing on progressing.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Yeah I don't do too many static holds either.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I would stay with 20-30 even with a spotter. Maybe when you are ending a blast you might get a bit lower in the rep range, but 20-30 is a good range to be in. Static holds for me get used sparingly. If I fall outside the rep range, I might add one in for an exercise. 15-20 seconds on those and I am spent. Best exercises to use them on are the press movements and curl movements. Be careful, as they can compromise recovery, so listen to your body. One thing that stands out with me in your last workout is great effort, but you might want to reconsider your ham and quad exercise combinations. Doing a set of good mornings to failure followed by 2 sets of Squats to failure could fry you quick. I like a leg curl movement or sumoe leg press as an exercise before squatting. Keep up the good work and keep focusing on progressing.
    Thanks for the advice man, I'm glad I started this journal cuz I never thought of these things... I'll take your advice and switch the leg curls and goodmornings around.

Here's my workout from Friday

Incline DB (decided to do incline instead of flat)- 75x18, Haven't done inclines in a long time and it sure shows. I had some pain in my right pec from this, it almost felt like an overtrained type of soreness, I'll see how things go this wednesday with chest and if they are still sore i'm gonna go easy on them.
    Upright Rows- 85x20, I was suppose to do some HS presses but I've been going to a different gym location and it didnt have them, the upright rows actually felt damn good, I dont know if Dante recommends them though.
    Skull Crushers- 40lbs per side x 8, (too heavy) 35 lbs per side x 6, and then 4. (18 total RP).
    Wide Grip Pulldowns, arched back, pulled to chest, strict form- 160x15
    Rack Deads (upper knee level)- 425x8, my lower back has been sore so I didnt do a 12 rep set afterwards

Here was yesterdays workout, I was finally able to look at my logbook for all of these new exercises which was great.

Seated DB Curls- 50x18 RP (+10 lbs, -7 reps)
    Reverse Grip One Arm Cable Curl- 32.5x15 SS (+5lbs, same reps)
    Standing Calves (on Z squat)- 210x12 (+10 lbs, +2 reps) My stretch at the bottom might have been a couple seconds short on each one though...
    Upright Leg Curls (one at a time)- 100x17
    Z Squat- 4 plates + 40lbs per side x 5 (+10 lbs, +1 rep) These Z Squat machines are made very poorly, 40 more lbs per side and it will be maxed out in weight.
    Widowmaker- 3 plates + 15lbs per side x 20, I was surprised I actually got 20, almost didnt get the last rep though.

By far my best workout yet, everything improved.

I know what you mean on those V-Squat Machines Jay. I upped the rep range in those to 10-15 and 30+ for the widowmaker. Standing calves you could rest pause, as those become quite difficult to hold on the negative. Doe slook like you are figuring things out quite nicely.

I know what you mean on those V-Squat Machines Jay. I upped the rep range in those to 10-15 and 30+ for the widowmaker. Standing calves you could rest pause, as those become quite difficult to hold on the negative. Doe slook like you are figuring things out quite nicely.
    30+?? Damn man, I cant even imagine a set of 30, thats just crazy.

As for todays workout, I started out doing some BB declines but had to stop because my right pec is still hurting. I got to my second warmup set and decided to stop there. Hopefully it recovers by next Monday. Heres the rest of it though

Smith Presses- 155x18 (same weight, +2 reps)
    RGBP on smith- 205x20 (+10 lbs, same reps) I'm also going to incorporate some FST-7 training in with my tris. My tris havent been growing so I need to change something up. After I got done with the tri stretches I finished it off with 7 sets of 8-10 reps of rope pulldowns. I've never had such a huge pump.
    Pullups- 15 RP, wanted to do assisted pullups but the new location I've been going to didnt have a machine for it.
    DB rows- 65x8 SS, meant to do rack pulls but no place to do them at and my buddy was waiting for me. I really focused on flexing my traps and they got a really good burn going. Might start doing these more often, we'll see.