The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0

    Jason's DC Training Log

    I've been slacking with the intensity levels in the gym so I'm hoping this journal will help me make some improvements. My diet is as follows.

    Meal 1: 4 whole eggs, 2 packets low sugar oatmeal in milk, 1 piece of toast with butter, glass of OJ, and 1 scoop whey
    Meal 2: 2 scoops whey mixed with milk, 1 large apple
    Meal 3: 8 oz. chicken breast cooked in olive oil, 1/4 of a box of multigrain angel hair pasta, parmesan cheese
    Meal 4: same as 2
    Meal 5: 8 oz. ground turkey, 2-3 slices of whole grain bread
    Meal 6: 8 oz. tilapia (sp?), 1.5 cups broccoli
    Meal 7: Same as 2 without the apple or possibly some cottage cheese
    On workout days I have around 50 grams waxy maize mixed with OJ as well followed by a shake. I like to keep it as simple and easy as possible so I eat the same everyday.

    As for supplements I've been taking ZMA at night, creatine, buzzsaw pre workout, and some vitamin d and c. I've really been more diet-driven the past few months and have stayed clean of any "super supps". However I'm curious to what type of drugs are available legally (told my girl someday I'd stay clean for good, once we were married) so I'm going to be taking H-Drol by CEL for the next 4 weeks and see how it works out. I've only heard good things, dry gains, no bloat, very few sides if any at all, and very easy recovery.

    As for my training I attached my newest DC spreadsheets that I'm just starting this week. I also do around 30 minutes low intensity cardio on my off days, I might even start doing some HIIT on my lifting days as well, around 10 minutes or so. I'm hoping in the next month I gain muscle as well as lean up a little bit. I posted a couple pics from yesterday but I still need to take some leg pics, I'll get around to it at some point. I'll consider these pics my official starting point.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 03-31-2009 at 05:29 PM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Just got back from my first lifting session of the week (couldnt lift yesterday because i had to cram for a test and then had to work yesterday), my typical split is mon, wed, fri. I'm pretty pissed cuz the guy I went with (my gym is away from campus and i dont have a car at school) was done a lot earlier than me and I had to rush training my quads, which is a bodypart of mine that needs extra attention. So here was my workout..

    Seated DB curls 40x25 rp
    Reverse grip one arm cable curls 22.5x15 straight set
    Standing Calves 200x10 (10 second pause at bottom) this hurt badly
    Lying Leg Curls 140x20
    Z Squat 4plates + 35 both sidesx4 - I could have gotten a couple more but since I was in such a hurry I was still winded from my warm up sets. I didnt have time to get my 20 rep set in so I just came back to my apt and did a 20 rep set of leg raises in the exercise room we have. Overall a good workout.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  4. #3
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    713
    Sweet! I'll be following along. Lets see some big lifts you big sissy!

    I quit the DC training. Something about it wasn't appealing to me. It may have been the widowmaker squats we have to do so often. I'm trying out Jim Wendlers 5/3/1
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  5. #4
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    Sweet! I'll be following along. Lets see some big lifts you big sissy!

    I quit the DC training. Something about it wasn't appealing to me. It may have been the widowmaker squats we have to do so often. I'm trying out Jim Wendlers 5/3/1
    Awww you couldnt handle DC? Shoulda stuck it out man! How long have you been doing this new routine? I've never heard of it. As for big lifts, you're gonna have to check out some of the other journals around here to find those, lol.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  6. #5
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Welcome aboard! No to the HIT after sessions. No way should you be able to do that after a DC session. Maybe some light cardio if you want.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  7. #6
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Welcome aboard! No to the HIT after sessions. No way should you be able to do that after a DC session. Maybe some light cardio if you want.
    How's DC been going for you, Joey? I need to stop in and check out your journal. But you're probably right, I have yet to try and do any sort of cardio after doing DC. I'll most likely stick to doing the longer, lighter sessions on my off days. We will see.



    I missed my last meal of the day yesterday because I passed out before I meant to. That was enough justification for my lazy ass to skip out on the cardio session for today (and the fact I'm cramming for another big test tomorrow). Hopefully I'll have time to do it sometime tomorrow either before or after my lifting session. I'm on point for today, just need to eat my last meal and down another shake before bed.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  8. #7
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Awww you couldnt handle DC? Shoulda stuck it out man! How long have you been doing this new routine? I've never heard of it. As for big lifts, you're gonna have to check out some of the other journals around here to find those, lol.
    Have you been living under a cave or something?! Every other journal in here is 5/3/1. It pwns DC training. What I found discouraging about it was the rest-pause sets without a training partner and I guess the widowmakers. I could definitely handle it and I loved it, we just need to focus on strength and get as strong as possible for now before we train for size again. Where are your numbers (Big 3) at right now? Lookin' pretty lean, though, bud! Keep at it.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  9. #8
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Have you been living under a cave or something?! Every other journal in here is 5/3/1. It pwns DC training. What I found discouraging about it was the rest-pause sets without a training partner and I guess the widowmakers. I could definitely handle it and I loved it, we just need to focus on strength and get as strong as possible for now before we train for size again. Where are your numbers (Big 3) at right now? Lookin' pretty lean, though, bud! Keep at it.
    Pshhh, 5/3/1 can suck on it, and as far as you and Nik go, you guys just need to grow some balls and push through the pain instead of falling back on this 5/3/1 sissy stuff. No but seriously though, I havent been around here much to see all these journals you're talking about. I'll have to check it out. And as far as my Big 3, I dont even know man. I literally haven't maxed out in years. To be completely honest I dont care much about strength at all (but being strong is definitely an ego booster). I would lift pink dumbbells all day long if it meant muscle gains.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  10. #9
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    In all seriousness, how the **** do you expect to grow if you don't care about strength at all (besides AAS)? There's nothing more I care about than to be as large and lean as possible down the road, which is exactly why I've turned to strength training recently. You simply can't get big if you're not strong.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  11. #10
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    In all seriousness, how the **** do you expect to grow if you don't care about strength at all (besides AAS)? There's nothing more I care about than to be as large and lean as possible down the road, which is exactly why I've turned to strength training recently. You simply can't get big if you're not strong.
    Caring and doing something are completely different things. I'm not debating anything that you just said. Just because I dont care about benching 400 lbs doesnt mean I wont bench 400 lbs. If benching 400 lbs is what I need to do get my chest where I want it at physique wise, then I will bench 400 lbs (or whatever number it may be). But the numbers mean nothing to me, its what I see in the mirror that matters.

    Dont get me wrong, I love making PR's and pushing heavy weights, but the reason I love it is because of the physical changes that come along with it, not the fact that I just pushed a certain amount of weight.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  12. #11
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Caring and doing something are completely different things. I'm not debating anything that you just said. Just because I dont care about benching 400 lbs doesnt mean I wont bench 400 lbs. If benching 400 lbs is what I need to do get my chest where I want it at physique wise, then I will bench 400 lbs (or whatever number it may be). But the numbers mean nothing to me, its what I see in the mirror that matters.

    Dont get me wrong, I love making PR's and pushing heavy weights, but the reason I love it is because of the physical changes that come along with it, not the fact that I just pushed a certain amount of weight.
    I think what Keith is implying is that with strength comes size.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  13. #12
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Caring and doing something are completely different things. I'm not debating anything that you just said. Just because I dont care about benching 400 lbs doesnt mean I wont bench 400 lbs. If benching 400 lbs is what I need to do get my chest where I want it at physique wise, then I will bench 400 lbs (or whatever number it may be). But the numbers mean nothing to me, its what I see in the mirror that matters.

    Dont get me wrong, I love making PR's and pushing heavy weights, but the reason I love it is because of the physical changes that come along with it, not the fact that I just pushed a certain amount of weight.
    Completely agree, then.
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  14. #13
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    I think what Keith is implying is that with strength comes size.
    Change your avatar dammit!
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  15. #14
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Today hasnt been so great. I'm very behind on meals and my head wasnt in the right place at all for my lifting session today due to some relationship issues. Regardless, my lifts somehow improved for the most part.

    Decline BB 255x13 RP
    Smith Shoulder Presses 155x16
    Smith RGBP 195x20
    Assisted Pull Ups (these are done very slow and controlled and i go all the way down) +60 lbs x 17 - I just started doing these and I like them alot, I get massive pumps and they burn a lot more than when I did regular pull ups.

    I was suppose to do some rack deads but my roommate was waiting for me during the whole time I was doing pull ups so I decided I guess I'll just throw them in on saturday when I do bis/legs.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  16. #15
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    713
    You know what feels even better than pull ups... The stretch you get after! I love stretching my lats one at a time up to the point where it feels like the meat is ripping off the bone (kind like a nice tender rack of ribs mmm lol).

    oh and good luck with the lady issues
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  17. #16
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    You know what feels even better than pull ups... The stretch you get after! I love stretching my lats one at a time up to the point where it feels like the meat is ripping off the bone (kind like a nice tender rack of ribs mmm lol).

    oh and good luck with the lady issues
    How do you stretch your lats? Because the way Dante describes the stretch (hanging from a pull up bar) never stretches my lats out as much as I would like. Maybe I need use a weighted belt or something.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  18. #17
    5-0-9 Barbell WORLD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario.
    Posts
    713
    Yeah I don't like hanging. I grab the power rack and lean far back, one arm at a time.
    Something like this: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...ge006_0000.jpg
    It always feels good and I get a wicked pump too.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

    9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

    August 2008 Progress Pics

  19. #18
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Nice another dc journal. I hang with weight for my back or do the doorknob stretch
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  20. #19
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WORLD View Post
    Yeah I don't like hanging. I grab the power rack and lean far back, one arm at a time.
    Something like this: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask...ge006_0000.jpg
    It always feels good and I get a wicked pump too.
    Nice man, I'll definitely try those out instead, thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Nice another dc journal. I hang with weight for my back or do the doorknob stretch
    Thanks for stopping in cp, any plans for any more competing in the future? I really want to but I'm way too damn small.


    My diet as been **** the past couple days due to stress. So far today I'm doing alright though. I never ended up working out yesterday so I did today instead. I havent done squats in awhile so it felt good to do them again.

    BB Curls- 125x13 RP
    Hammer Curls- 40x13 alternating straight set
    Calf Raises- 195x10, I swear no matter the weight I can never get 12 on these
    Front Squats- 275x5, 185x20 (I was surprised I had 20 in me, I about died in the process though, it wasnt that my legs couldnt take it, its the cardio that goes along with it)

    I was rushed for time (as always) because I had plans to go see I love you man with a buddy of mine that I havent seen for awhile, so I didnt end up doing anything for my hamstrings. I do recommend the movie though, it was really funny.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  21. #20
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Here's today's workout.

    Dips: BW+105x12 RP
    DB Shoulder Press: 70x13 RP (I can tell I havent done these in awhile but they sure tore my shoulders apart)
    CGBP Smith: 195x16 RP (I hate my triceps, very very weak)
    Seated Cable Close Grip Rows: 180x15 RP
    Rack Deads: 315x10, 425x3 (I usually have the pins set right at knee height but this time I went below the knee which made it so much harder)


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  22. #21
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Jay, bump the rep range to a 20-30 rp reps on the db shoulder press. I don't like Dips as a rest pause exercise, but if they work for you go ahead. Are you going to be able to make a big strength increase in this, or would using another pressing movement, like a smith incline, HS incline, incline DB, or flat DB be a better choice? Something to consider. Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by joey54; 04-06-2009 at 06:21 PM.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  23. #22
    TJW Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pickering, Ontario
    Posts
    3,238
    Damn, nice dips, broseph! What's up with the smith machine?? You don't actually use it... right?
    Age: 24 Height: 5'9" Weight: 185

    Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

    People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

    The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

  24. #23
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Jay, bump the rep range to a 20-30 rp reps on the db shoulder press. I don't like Dips as a rest pause exercise, but if they work for you go ahead. Are you going to be able to make a big strength increase in this, or would using another pressing movement, like a smith incline, HS incline, incline DB, or flat DB be a better choice? Something to consider. Keep up the good work.
    I'm curious as to why you say bump up into the 20-30 rep range for shoulders? Dips have done wonders for my chest but I'm definitely slowing down and lately haven't been making much progress on them. The reason I do dips is mainly because Phil Hernon and his methods for training chest. He believes dips and any decline movement will build the most mass and that inclines are pretty much a lousy shoulder exercise. I have considered adding in some type of inclines in the past though, it would be a good switch up for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Damn, nice dips, broseph! What's up with the smith machine?? You don't actually use it... right?
    lol I use the smith all the time actually, its great for RP sets, you don't need a spotter, and you can really focus on throwing the weight up. I used to have the mentality that smiths are for pussies, but Dante has definitely changed my mind on that. It has its place in DC.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

  25. #24
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Highly doubt I'll ever get back on stage. Too skinny. I won't do it unless I feel like I can take an overall at a natty show.

    The reason for bumping the shoulders to 20-30 is it tends to get very hard to knockup the 2nd and 3rd set of the shoulders. Dante says the same for chest DB work.

    Doing dips for chest? I love my dips, but I would consider them a tri exercise.
    Last edited by cphafner; 04-06-2009 at 08:49 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  26. #25
    Determined jAy_Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Highly doubt I'll ever get back on stage. Too skinny. I won't do it unless I feel like I can take an overall at a natty show.

    The reason for bumping the shoulders to 20-30 is it tends to get very hard to knockup the 2nd and 3rd set of the shoulders. Dante says the same for chest DB work.

    Doing dips for chest? I love my dips, but I would consider them a tri exercise.
    Ahh I understand now, I had a spotter today so thats the only reason I could get the DB's up.

    As for the dips, I stick my chest out which isolates the pecs. I dont feel it at all in my tri's. My chest has really came along well with them (as well as declines).


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Similar Threads

  1. Doggcrapp training
    By BigMatt in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM
  2. Negative only training
    By drmarkp in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 09:58 AM
  3. Interview With Tudor Bompa
    By silles in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM
  4. The Real Deal
    By chris mason in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-17-2001, 02:49 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •