The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Front squat ?

Front squat ?

Do you guys prefer the hands on shoulders grip,or the hands on bar type grip when doing these? And do you change your grip as the weight goes up? As in do you use the same grip at 150#'s vs 250#??

Also do you think getting better and stronger at front squats will carry over to back squats?

I've always done some front squats,but have never really worked them that hard.

Ryan Hale

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Hands on the bar will provide greater stability and enable you to handle more weight. For those that are too muscular to get into this position then you can use straps around the bar and just keep your elbows high.

I don't see a lot of carryover to my back squat from these, but they do seem to help give you more speed off the floor on deadlifts.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks Tom,I appreciate the feedback.As for more speed off the floor on your deads,are you talking sumo or conv,or both?

Off subject here,but really enjoy your post on the strongman events.

Ryan Hale

if your having trouble holding on to the bar or setting it up on your shoulders their are always zercher front squats where you curl up your arms and hold the bar in the pocket of your elbows, u just have to really focus on core strength so you don't bend at the waist too mugh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mullens View Post
    if your having trouble holding on to the bar or setting it up on your shoulders their are always zercher front squats where you curl up your arms and hold the bar in the pocket of your elbows, u just have to really focus on core strength so you don't bend at the waist too mugh.
    Two completely different exercises

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Do you guys prefer the hands on shoulders grip,or the hands on bar type grip when doing these? And do you change your grip as the weight goes up? As in do you use the same grip at 150#'s vs 250#??
    I've used the same arms crossed setup since I've been doing front squats, I've gained 200lbs+ on them and this setup hasn't caused me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hale View Post
    Also do you think getting better and stronger at front squats will carry over to back squats
    I think it depends, if you squat fairly narrow (almost olympic or ATG) then you will see a strong carryover as both have a lot of quad involvement. Front squats will also give you some carryover to your conventional pull, especially off the floor.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I use the straps method because (a) I can't get into a clean grip (b) when I use the arms crossed, I find that the bar still rolls too much. It has taken me a little time to get used to, but now I am in business.

I started out using the crossed arms method. It gets the job done. I now use a clean grip though and find it much more secure.

The clean grip will take getting used to, it will most likely cause some pain for a period of time, but in the end it will be worth it. Getting the elbows high enough will keep the bar locked in with little effort. I find I can think more about the squatting than whether or not I might lose the weight which was the case with the crossed arm version for me.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw