Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The internet

The internet

I was reading over on PLWatch how a bunch of guys have their panties in a twist over not being able to say whatever they want over here. My question is, when did everyone become so entitled that they could say whatever they want, to whom ever they want, wherever they want? I know on some forums it's ok to call an accomplished lifter a weak piece of crap, but I am thrilled that does not go on here.

Do these people know it costs money to run forums? If they want that kind of freedom they need to start their own forum. It could be called the unknown(anonymous)--weakass forum. None of us would let someone come into our house and talk junk to us so. Well, WBB is Chris' and Daniel's house so people need to act accordingly or get out. Thank you Chris, Daniel, Travis, and all the other mods for your hard work on this site. It's a very constructive and fun place.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-03-2009 at 06:43 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I too, personally hate anonymous posting. People should be accountable for not only their actions, but their speech. WBB is one of the few forums that hold true to this rule. Ryanopower forum is the same way and will never change. I delete/ban anonymous ****heads on a daily basis.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Great post Vinnie. The Anon's annoy me on PLwatch as well, I barely ever get on that site due to them.

Thanks to Chris, Dan, Travis, Tom, all you mods. Keep this place troll free!
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

I believe WBB to be the best PL forum on the net. Where else can you get honest and sincere advice from some of the tops in our sport without having to dig through idiotic and childish comments. I'm still new to the site but plan on being around for a long time. Thank you Chris and Dan for supplying a place in which I can learn to better myself in this sport.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

I dont think people now a days have the capacity to understand that these forums were started for a purpose. and its not to talk smack to your buddies or post ridiculous comments about someones pictures, and then do so without saying who they are.
    One of the reasons I enjoy this forum as much as i do is because behavior like that is addressed as inappropriate as it should be, and it keeps the forum much friendlier and more comfortable.
    As far as your question goes, from what I see, everywhere, people believe they are more and more entitled to everything, and it just carries over to the internet. I had someone flip me off for riding their butt in the left lane for 10 miles while they drove 2 mph under the speed limit next to the car in the right lane. People dont hold doors for you anymore. Its everywhere and its sad because its not going to get any better.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

Banned
    The internet has made is so people will say things without fear of consequences (i.e. getting their ass handed to them for lunch) so everyone thinks they're ten foot tall and bullet proof.

And I hate how people say "what about freedon of speech..." Guess what? This place is private, people pay for this, they can regulate what you say and there is no such thing as freedom of speech on an internet forum so they need to suck it up and be grateful that they are allowed to speak at all.

Thanks Vincent!

You know, it isn't so much about rules, it is about common decency and community. If I was having a get together at my house and there were a few people running around trash talking and putting everyone down you can bet your ass they would be on the street real quick. It is a similar situation on these kind of forums. There are many websites that allow internet trolls to say whatever the **** they want. These trolls are just frustrated and angry people with an anonymous outlet for their venom in the form of internet forums, and I have ZERO interest in allowing those pitiful ****s to do it here. Think about the majority of powerlifting sites and the bull**** that goes on there. What is the point? I think the forums should be for like minded people who want to get to know, correspond with, or learn from others.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Great post Vincent.

I have seen other boards where veterans are disrespected by guys who are just getting started in the sport and in the end it chases them away and lowers the overall quality of the discussions. Am glad that there are a lot of constructive threads here and many great, accomlished lifters who contribute.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think the forums should be for like minded people who want to get to know, correspond with, or learn from others.
    Bingo. People here want to get stronger, bigger, and better. Other sites I've visited or lurked are filled with people who just like to tear people down b/c they can't or won't put in the work to get better.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

I saw the post on PLW and I am going to guess that those that are being negative will have been banned in the past anyway, so are just being bitter.

The freedom of speech thing cracks me up too. Youíre right, these forums cost a lot of money and time from many people to keep up and running smoothly. So if we find that someone is disruptive to the overall effort, youíll be gone. Weíre not going to make our job tougher than it has to be. There is so much leeway over here and to be fair you can express pretty much anything you want as long as you do it constructively and you arenít racist, discriminative or bullying anyone. Iím about as easy going as you will find anyone and thatís reflected in our guidelines.

Iím really glad WBB has so many clever and level headed people
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

I really appreciate the positive comments guys. Means a lot. I do try and be really fair with everyone, but realize people are going to get upset and frustrated regardless and will make false accusations about myself around the internet.

My goal here is just to continue what Daniel and Chris have started with a great site that focuses on the sport we all love so much. A good portion of my beginning in powerlifting began on the internet, learning tons from other lifters so a big passion of mine is to help others in the same way with what I have been privy to learning at Westside. Honestly, I live an hour away from Westside and I'd have never heard of it had it not been for the internet. Think what I'd have missed out on!!

You guys are great though. Occasionally I do get irritated by the personal attacks because they are so fictional, but I just realize that you can't please everyone. My goal is here on WBB and improving the already great community we have.

On a side note, I have spent a good amount of time emailing back and fourth with Jon who owns PLW over the last 8-9mths. He really is a good guy and I enjoy my discussions with him. He runs his site for a different purpose and a different goal than we have WBB set up and I understand that. Even if I would design things differently should it be my site (hypothetically speaking here) I respect the time that Jon puts into PLW and him putting himself out there
    Last edited by Travis Bell; 04-03-2009 at 10:43 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Personally, I don't get why people take time out of their day to try tearing down top lifters. I'd rather spend my time trying to learn from the top lifters. I've yet to meet a top powerlifter that wasn't helpful when I ask questions. You'd have to be a real idiot to spend your time insulting those guys vs. trying to learn from them.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Vincent.......... You are skinny! LOL! This site is awesome I hate PLW.

Banned
    tell them to go to bb.com. i enjoy trolling that forum lots of time. i come here for serious powerlifting.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    WBB is the best training, strongman & powerlifting forum on the internet!
    TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN
    http://www.houseofpain.com/blog.html?search_author=9

611 MISS ATTEMPT AT THE 2008 BP NATIONALS
    562lb DRUG-FREE COMPETITION BENCH PRESS
    491 COMPETITION UNEQUIPPED BENCH PRESS
    2008 & 2009 NASA PRO BENCH PRESS CHAMPION
    #1 DRUG-FREE BENCH PRESSER IN KY

I'm fairly new to this sport and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this forum. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyo_99 View Post
    I'm fairly new to this sport and I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for this forum. Period.
    Same here

this is by far actually the best forum i've ever been on everybody here is actually helpful and polite and the people giving advice aren't 14 year old pencilnecks hiding behind the computer they're accomplished lifters. good post!

Keep up the good work.

Just get under the bar!

The anonymous posts at PLWatch flat out piss me off. I'll admit it. Maybe I have anger issues, I don't know....

The internet has changed so much the last 6-8 years. Unfortunately behind a keyboard everyone is 275 lbs, ripped, with a 600 lb raw bench, a 900 lb shirted bench, ass to heels 1100 lb squats, make a million a year, have a 65 vette or a 70 hemi cuda in their garage, a girlfriend kinkier than Belladonna and hotter than Jennifer Aniston who doesn't mind if thier wife participates. If you give those peckerheads an inch, they try to expand their fantasy world.

I dont like their fantasy world messing with mine. It annoys the crap out of me.

I do like this forum and I'd like to put in a good word for Chris, Dan, Travis, Tom, and the other mods mentioned above. Thanks guys for keeping this forum readable and a place to come to learn to be a better powerlifter, not a troll freeforall. I typically just lurk and read and think about what I'm reading. I've gotten alot from here just doing that.

what does Vinny know? he's just a bencher....
    Sponsored by TITAN

Quote Originally Posted by mike danforth View Post
    In my book, that's a good thing!
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post
    WBB is the best training, strongman & powerlifting forum on the internet!
    100% right! thats why this is the place I visit the most on the internet...I even come in here at 2-3 am! but i am going to say something negative to all you pros! you all suck! not a single one of you works out at the gym i go to!!...hahaha! Seriously I don't think i would have come back so quick in my training if it wasn't because of all you guys journals and advice to everyone that seeks advice here.
    Current Stats:
    5'8" @ 204lbs

2013 Goals (single ply):
    1700lbs total

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by endymion88 View Post
    this is by far actually the best forum i've ever been on everybody here is actually helpful and polite and the people giving advice aren't 14 year old pencilnecks hiding behind the computer they're accomplished lifters. good post!
    samsuperjew?

Quote Originally Posted by mike danforth View Post
    Ouch Mike. Words hurt you know. Seriously though, a lot of people do not know I started out as a full meet lifter. I have also done strongman and some other odd lifts. I am just a huge fan and supporter of strength athletics. I don't like giving myself a label, but if I did it would be Mr. Superfantastic!

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo