The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Decided on an F6

I've been going back and forth the last few months on which shirt to get - Rage X or the F6. After talking with Ken at Anderson PL he made me a deal I could not pass up, he's a really cool guy. This will be my first shirt but I have till fall when I plan on competing in it to get use to it. Any tips for training in this shirt? I have 2 meets coming up - one in 4 weeks the other in 6 weeks. After that I will change up my routine to begin my shirt training. How often, how many reps (I've always read sets of 3). Also, Ken told me to not worry about the +2 on sizing. My chest, relaxed, is 49 so he said to go with a 50. I was going to buy a 52 and he said a 50 would fit just fine.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good thing you went with sz.50 cause 52 would've been a bit loose. I started off with an F6 as well and benched off boards (3/2/1 brd). The more you tuck your elbows, the lower you can get with the shirt.

Ken said the shirt "makes" you touch your sternum with the bar. So this will only help me with my form. Can't wait to get it.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

Hope you have a good arch.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmccown View Post
    Ken said the shirt "makes" you touch your sternum with the bar. So this will only help me with my form. Can't wait to get it.
    It's actually the opposite. The F-6 works better for high arch belly benching. The Fury would have been better if touching on the sternum is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by brad cikana View Post
    It's actually the opposite. The F-6 works better for high arch belly benching. The Fury would have been better if touching on the sternum is what you want.
    No it's not.

It's made for someone with any sort of arch, not belly benching. Actually I can promise you from personal experience, if you try and touch low with the single ply F6, you'll get no pop out of the shirt. Its designed to hit your sternum

If you bench flat backed, then get a Fury, otherwise JM did the right thing going with the F6.

Ken is a cool dude, knows his stuff when it comes to shirts

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    The F6 is a good begining shirt, very forgiving on form - try to lift with some guys who understand shirted lifting when you start so that you can get the hang of it safely. Shirted benching is not just about strength but skill also. Time to break some PR's!!
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com

Unfortunately there is no one even remotely close to me that uses a shirt. So I have to rely on you guys for good advice.
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

My training partner and I got my F6 to touch in 3 sessions when I got it. This was with no shirt experience from either of us. It is a great shirt to learn with.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    No it's not.

It's made for someone with any sort of arch, not belly benching. Actually I can promise you from personal experience, if you try and touch low with the single ply F6, you'll get no pop out of the shirt. Its designed to hit your sternum

If you bench flat backed, then get a Fury, otherwise JM did the right thing going with the F6.

Ken is a cool dude, knows his stuff when it comes to shirts
    The sleeves are angled downward on an F-6. I cant even imagine trying to touch my sternum in that shirt. The fury has sleeves that go straight out, hence, easier to touch higher.
    Last edited by brad cikana; 04-02-2009 at 12:58 AM.

The sleeves are angled downward on an F-6. I cant even imagine trying to touch my sternum in that shirt. The fury has sleeves that go straight out, hence, easier to touch higher.
    That's why an F6 is made for benchers who arch.

http://www.titansupport.com/products/shirts/f6.htm#arch <-- scroll down to the pictures.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    That's why an F6 is made for benchers who arch.

<-- scroll down to the pictures.
    Which is why the sweet spot is lower than the Fury's.

in my opinion the f6 is an under rated shirt. I get around 200 pounds out of a single ply shirt(700+ and raw around 525) and my training partner, who is a begginer got around 150 out of it at his last meet(500 and around 350 raw).
    some tips
    -the sleves must be tight and as close to your elbow as possible. after you use the shirt for a while have some one tighten the sleves up about a 1/4 inch. this makes a huge difference.
    -pay attention to the seam running down the sleve. the higher you place the seam up your tricep the more aggresive it will be.
    -pull it up in the back, like all shirts. And the big secret is to pull the seam on the front of the shoulder, where the shoulder meets the arm sleeve, down over the front of the shoulder about 1/2 inch or so. this creates a better leaver and allows the shirt to touch.
    -make sure the shirt is tight up under your arm pits and flush to your body, this will keep it from busting
    -you will need a belt on to hold your cleavage or the shirt will ride up
    - i agree you get more out of the shirt the higher you can touch it. we call this loading the shirt up. don't be over aggressive in tucking those elbows. we keep them wide till it tightens up and then tuck to touch.
    -washing it can tighten it up also

break the shirt in with triples to boards(3 or 4 board) and then once broken in ( that is you can touch a 2 board) start using triples, trying to touch and loading the shirt up more with each rep. try two weeks shirt one week off then repeat. don't worry about touching just try to touch. pretty soon you will be touching some in every work out.
    search shields on iron scene and there is a work out video I posted showing an example max effort workout
    hope this helps

Which is why the sweet spot is lower than the Fury's.
    not if you have any arch at all

If you bench flat backed, it's just not going to work well for you.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Got my new shirt today. Decided to try it out. Surprisingly with some struggle I was able to get it on by myself. I worked up to 500lbs and couldn't get it any lower than a 3 board, but was lock it out with ease. I wet the shirt down and dropped to 405 and done 15 reps and then done another set a few minutes later repped 405 again but for about 3 reps and could get it down slightly lower than a 2 board. Can't wait to get it to touch. I'm really bruised up this evening from the shirt. One question about the shirt, where should the sleeves come to? I could not get the sleeves to come down past my elbows. Is this where the sleeves should be?
    Best lifts

Deadlift 750

I could not get the sleeves to come down past my elbows. Is this where the sleeves should be?
    I normally have to take 1" to 1 1/2" off my sleeves. Don't do it until it's about fully broken in though. It will stretch and the sleeves will get bigger, allowing it to seat more into the armpits.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Got my new shirt today. Decided to try it out. Surprisingly with some struggle I was able to get it on by myself. I worked up to 500lbs and couldn't get it any lower than a 3 board, but was lock it out with ease. I wet the shirt down and dropped to 405 and done 15 reps and then done another set a few minutes later repped 405 again but for about 3 reps and could get it down slightly lower than a 2 board. Can't wait to get it to touch. I'm really bruised up this evening from the shirt. One question about the shirt, where should the sleeves come to? I could not get the sleeves to come down past my elbows. Is this where the sleeves should be?
    You did 15 reps with the shirt on? Were you able to keep your form?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Like Ryano said, it needs to be seated right in your armpits. You're going to have to get someone else to help you in it all the way. Once you get it on all the way, then you can determine what to do with the sleeves.

Normally with my SDP, I just roll them up a little. I like the extra fabric sitting there around my elbows. Makes them tighter. But you can also cut the excess off after a few weeks of using the shirt

a single ply f6 would be great for him. he will have no trouble touching at the bottom of the sterum in that shirt.