Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consuming a lot of food

Wannabebig Member

Consuming a lot of food

Hi all,

Firstly, I don't seek to cause trouble. This is genuine question, the thought is constantly on my mind.

I know this question is somewhat controversial, but I need to ask maybe I'll feel content after I've heard peoples responses.

People are dying across the world, there are homeless people in every nation, country, you name it. Do you guys think it's ethical to consume x meals per day when there are people struggling to even get a meal, I personally feel it's somewhat wasteful, but that's just me. A friend of mine told me he feels hungry, I don't believe it, 6 meals is far too much - big or small.

I used to train when I was slightly younger, around the age of 18, and this thought never crossed my mind.

Thank you all, I look forward to replies.
    Last edited by mob; 04-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Banned
    Let me ask you, do you give away all your posessions besides the clothes on your back, enough food to survive, and a cardboard box to protect you from rain?

If the answer is no, then it fits within your system of values. This is not controversial, it's plain stupid. People waste resources on SO many things, and you pose the question about the consumption of a little food. Do you know how much food is THROWN AWAY in developed countries? Why not post this on an obesity board and see what kind of response you get.

I fail to see how me eating less is going to allow someone in Somalia to not starve.

If the starving Somalian was able to eat 6 meals a day, do you you think for a second he would feel guilty about me not eating?

Either do something about the situation, or don't. But whining because a bunch of iron heads has the unmitigated gall to eat a **** ton of food accomplishes nothing.

I will eat two rib-eyes tonight. One because they taste so damn good and one in honor of all the starving pygmies around the globe.

I completely understand your original post. It is one of the primary reasons why my target weight is a very lean 160 (I'm only 5 foot 6 though so thats still much bigger than I would be if I fasted like a monk all the time ).

I do not think it is morally permissible to consume large quantities of food every day of my life, when as you put it, people are starving across the world. Reducing one's 'footprint' (ie negative impact on the world) is a worthwhile goal. This is a personal view though, I would not think to put down others because they choose to forever bulk and consume thousands more calories than they 'need' to for maintaining a more reasonable weight.

But that said - I do not have goals of deadlifting 600 pounds ever or squatting as much. A person that has that goal and has focused on it would feel much less happy than I if he did not ever reach that. So, its relative to one's goals, honestly (like almost everything in the lifting world is).

At the same time, I feel like I owe it to myself and to the people surrounding me to be the best human I can possibly be. Part of being a good human is to be a strong human. Strength is critical even in our hyper-modern world of gizmos and gadgets. A strong person is still (all things equal) happier than if he were weak. A happier person is a better person to be around and associate with. Thus, gaining strength has indirect positive impact on your society (so it is a "Good" in the sense helping others is a Good).

There are other ways you can reduce your negative impact on the world besides consuming less calories. You can start a garden, ride your bike to work instead of drive, engage in hobbies that don't waste resources disproportionately to the pleasure you receive from them, etc etc etc.

So, its not just a black and white thing. There must be a balance in your weight gain. the weight gain must serve a purpose even if that is just to increase your well-being (which again, has indirect benefits to your society which may offset the negative impact of the required consumption of X more grams of protein than you would need at a lower weight).

I'm curious how this will go here. I hope for some intelligent responses but OP don't be surprised if there is a good bit of immature insults thrown in there. WBB is not the most open-minded internet forum you will ever browse . You must realize here that people have quite different goals than you do (at least the goals you seem to have relative to your OP). I hope people can keep their heads cool and discuss this issue reasonably. Its a legitimate issue to think about even if you decide to continue consuming the same amount of calories you always do to gain.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 04-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Wow. You really think that it is morally wrong to consume a lot of food? Obesity may be morally wrong. Eating to achieve a goal is not.

Where do you guys get your guilt trips from? Is Al Gore selling them on a website somewhere?

You do realize that the plastic in your keyboard carry's about a 1000 year longer "footprint" than me eating 6-8 big meals a day for 40 years, right?

What is your moral position on your raping of the environment via blind support of the plastics industry as opposed to the eating of 100% biodegradable food?

did you even read my post? relative to my own goals getting to a point where I am consuming 5k+ calories a day is morally incorrect because that sort of consumption is not necessary given my goals. It would personally just be an ego stroke to gain that much weight. Your goals might very well be different.

Whether obesity is morally incorrect depends on so many factors. There are compulsive eating disorder theories that would describe the obese person as literally out of control. If thats true, then you cannot hold the person morally responsible (it would be like holding an insane person responsible for what they do when they see a monster running at them).

My keyboard is pretty necessary to what I do (writing). So, I justify the waste of materials because the means justify the ends (my work being published which I like to think has a positive effect on society ). Anyways, thats offtopic.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 04-04-2009 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    did you even read my post? relative to my own goals getting to a point where I am consuming 5k+ calories a day is morally incorrect because that sort of consumption is not necessary given my goals. It would personally just be an ego stroke to gain that much weight. Your goals might very well be different.

Whether obesity is morally incorrect depends on so many factors. There are compulsive eating disorder theories that would describe the obese person as literally out of control. If thats true, then you cannot hold the person morally responsible (it would be like holding an insane person responsible for what they do when they see a monster running at them).

My keyboard is pretty necessary to what I do (writing). So, I justify the waste of materials because the means justify the ends (my work being published which I like to think has a positive effect on society ). Anyways, thats offtopic.
    You put your moral standard in the same paragraph as talking about "reducing one's footprint" and starving people around the world. If you had meant it to be a personal standard - you should have put it in the first paragraph of your post. So yeah - I did read what you wrote. You just wrote it poorly if you meant to convey something other than what was written.

Anyhow, worrying about how much one eats with respect to the starving pygmies in New Guinea is about as pointless as worrying about the amount of petroleum byproducts used to construct a computer keyboard. I am sorry my use of the absurd to make a point was lost on you.

ok dude

take her easy

Quote Originally Posted by rainjack View Post
    I fail to see how me eating less is going to allow someone in Somalia to not starve.
    exactly.
    one of the silliest threads i've saw on this board.
    to the OP... what a selfish bastard you are... sitting on your computer when theres kids in africa with only a stick to play with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post

What about your consumption of anabolic steroids to reach a goal you could easily reach without? There are AIDS patients who are poor and would likely benefit from them.

Or all the money you blow on pot (unless you grow it)? You could give that to the poor starving kids around the world. You live in Atlanta, do you take MARTA to work everyday or do you own a car? What about all the rock climbing and biking you do? Think about all the extra calories you have to consume to support that kind of strenuous cardio. If you just sat on your couch all day, you could donate all the food you would have consumed to those poor starving kids. It simply isn't fundamentally consistent to say that eating food to get big is unethical but taking steroids and a slew of other drugs to acheive similar results is ok.

I guess my point is that we all spend our money on things that aren't necessary to our survival and we all have goals that are above and beyond simple subsistance. You say you want to be 160lbs, which requires 15 lbs. of weight gain. Why is 15lbs. ethical, but 150 lbs. not? They are both unneeded overconsumption. Saying that one piece of overconsumption is unethical but other types of overconsumption are ok is not consistent.
    Last edited by Pimpstick; 04-06-2009 at 07:56 AM.

If I choose not to eat somehting today it's not going to be shipped off to country that is starving.

BUT, think of it this way.

By me consuming I put countless people to work. Let take for instance something simple like an egg.

This is a list of all the people I employee directly and indirectly.
    -The chicken farmer that raises the chickens
    -The workers on the chicken farm
    -The guy that supplies the chicken feed - also the farmer of the feed, workers, etc
    -The breeder of the chickens, his workers
    -The trucking companies to transport the eggs, and feed
    -The countless companies that make the machines needed on the chicken farm, the feed company, and the trucking company
    -The mechanics that fix the machines, and trucks
    -The company that supplies the packaging for the eggs, and all their suppliers
    -The store that sells the eggs

The list can go on and on and on.

Also this should be in Gen Chat.
    Last edited by Genacide; 04-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

I have to agree with those that say it's not even a consideration.

As was said before, if we don't consume the food, it's not going to be redistributed to people that need it. You've somehow guilted yourself into believing that you're being selfish. If you were actually taking food from the mouths of starving children, that'd be one thing but you're not. Those pounds of chicken are going to get thrown away. Since a lot of what most of us eat are perishable goods, it's not really feasible to redistribute them to starving nations even if someone wanted to.

It's really not worth that much thought. If you feel guilty about it, collect canned goods for a homeless shelter or something but denying yourself something because other people can't have it is pretty dumb.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Please just take one! MadScientist's Avatar
    Ive taken this to heart and decided its the right thing to eat less....

Or not

If I could, I would eat the starving people altogether, transforming into a gelatinous blob that wreaks havoc on society.

I am primarily a bodybuilder, not a PL. Any advice given will be from the primary POV of a bodybuilder, and not a PL.
    Less than a half decade lifting, read this - http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...ing_Primer.htm

extra lean and damn sexy

Wah Wah

facts are: its a cold ,hard world out there...people are starving: yes ....people die needlessly over everything from religion to disease...you can't save em all.....sooo throw an extra steak on the barbie and quit whining about misplaced guilt...I think I'll cook that extra steak and then give it to the dog...just to make a point

Quote Originally Posted by bradleybbb View Post
    I think I'll cook that extra steak and then give it to the dog...just to make a point
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by mob View Post
    Hi all,

Firstly, I don't seek to cause trouble. This is genuine question, the thought is constantly on my mind.

I know this question is somewhat controversial, but I need to ask maybe I'll feel content after I've heard peoples responses.

People are dying across the world, there are homeless people in every nation, country, you name it. Do you guys think it's ethical to consume x meals per day when there are people struggling to even get a meal, I personally feel it's somewhat wasteful, but that's just me. A friend of mine told me he feels hungry, I don't believe it, 6 meals is far too much - big or small.

I used to train when I was slightly younger, around the age of 18, and this thought never crossed my mind.

You lose either way:

1. People are dying right now
    2. People will continue to die because if you stop eating food the farmers, truckers, + 100 other people who are in the food industry will have no money to feed themselves and their kids.

This is a useless quote that means nothing but yet defines me as a profound intellect.

6'1", 220@9%
    Bench 420
    Deadlift 710
    Squat 610

Looking for the best supplements?
    http://www.atlargenutrition.com/

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

So, we eat less and what happens? The extra food gets thrown away. It certainly is not going to be shipped thousands of miles (FOR FREE) to starving people on the other side of the world. Even if it were, the ecological "footprint" ( all the energy used to get all that food over there) would be much bigger.

Hi all,

I agree you should stop eating so much food - so it will leave more for me to eat.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

I think you posted this on the wrong forum, LOL

I see where you're coming from, but no, I don't feel guilty. Plenty of reasons in this thread.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Banned
    yes ido feel its right for us to consume as much food as we want. we have jobs amnd we earned the money to buy that food. these people struggling to make ends meet need to go back to school and get more money! it pisses me off p[eople like obama are catering to the poor wastes of society and taking the rich peoples taxes. im a science major in school now, hoping to become a nutritionist. what rewards do i look forward to? yes ill get a decent paycheck but ill also get a bigger tax loss.

sorry just venting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rainjack View Post

If the starving Somalian was able to eat 6 meals a day, do you you think for a second he would feel guilty about me not eating?

Either do something about the situation, or don't. But whining because a bunch of iron heads has the unmitigated gall to eat a **** ton of food accomplishes nothing.

I will eat two rib-eyes tonight. One because they taste so damn good and one in honor of all the starving pygmies around the globe.
    lol thats horrible

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    People complain about obesity in America with over 150 million plus obese people in america.

there are also about 2 billion people living in countries where starvation and malnousihment are serious problems, alot of the countries are run by corrupt governments that use hunger as their main weapon of terror tactics.

me not eating less will not help feed any starving child over in somolia, even as sad as it is, its a true statement

so to quote Chris Rock, "If your one of the few people in this world lucky enough to get your hands on a steak you should bite the **** out of it!!"
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

If things like eating food to accomplish goals of yours makes you feel guilty, I can't imagine the amount of guilt you feel on a day to day basis.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Banned
    I have a feeling we've had this thread a few times before.

edit:

eh, it was close
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...ght=guilt+food
    Last edited by Reko; 04-13-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Banned
    all this talk of steak makes me hungry for some steak.