The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Louie Simmons Q&A right here!

Often Imitated. Never Duplicated.

Ok, so Chris talked Lou into doing a Q&A here.

Now, Lou won't be posting here himself. He's very busy every day and doesn't have the time to sit down and answer everyone's questions. So here's what we're going to do.

Post your questions here and we'll pick the top 3 or 4 each month or so and I will take them to the master himself. He sends me his answers and then I'll post them here along with the corresponding question so there is clarity.

Try and be creative with your questions. Lou has had the same dynamic effort questions or max effort questions over and over again, plus I can answer most of the basic questions. We'll send off the more complicated ones that will inspire some good discussion here
    Attached Images Attached Images

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

This is very cool indeed! Great feature, thanks Trav for gettng the GodFather to do this.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-05-2009 at 08:58 PM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

That's awesome. Any chance you could make it video Q&A so it can include demonstration?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Thats a pretty cool idea, Thanks Travis!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

I will say that I was VERY excited when he agreed to do this for us. I truly believe he is the top strength coach on the planet. It is his love and passion and you can truly see that if you watch his seminars or are lucky enough to meet him in person. I would also encourage anyone here to also get his videos or book for further help. I have nearly all of the videos and they are GREAT.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A VERY good addition. I have much respect for Louie. I may not agree with everything he does, but any of us could learn a great deal from him. I am very excited to have this addition. Tell Louie THANK YOU.

Semper Fi

Dr. Dudley-Robey DrDudley-Robey's Avatar
    Sounds great!!
    Edward G. Dudley-Robey, M.D.
    www.DoctorBench.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Post your questions here (snip)
    OK, I have one that I basically asked on another thread that my buddy mike95763 started... (sorry mike, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. )

What's your feeling about pulling "semi-sumo", especially in reference to older lifters with hip issues who can't go really wide but can pull more weight semi-sumo than conventional. Is "semi-sumo" the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds?
    Last edited by BigTallOx; 04-06-2009 at 12:14 AM.

What a badass idea.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

This is an awesome idea. Louie does so much for powerlifting, if more people used their time and energy like him we'd have much less negativity and bashing and much more sharing of ideas and knowledge as well as a better chance for powerlifting to gain more exposure and acceptance. All I can say is thanks Louie for your continued generosity!

cool

I like this idea. WBB always getting better and better!

My time anymore seems to be more and more limited. I would'nt mind having a Q/A also, if anyone is interested.

Question: In general, does Louie recommend any different training techniques for older(50+) lifters. Such as, extra warmup, stretching, cooldown, supplements? Also, being a bench only lifter, my shoulders are so tight, I can't get both my hands on a bar behind my neck to even attempt squating. Is that just do to lack of stretching? Any and all opinions are welcome.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Wannabebig Member
    this is awesome...ive got the book and have a few questions id love to ask..

Banned
    I've got a question:

I've heard of people having success with the following 'old school' percent-based system (on what would later become DE Day):

SQUAT and BENCH
    Week 1: 70% x 8×3
    Week 2: 75% x 8×3
    Week 3: 80% x 6×3
    Week 4: 85% x 5×2
    Week 5: 80%x2, 85%x2, 90%x2

DEADLIFT
    Week 1 - 15 singles @ 65%
    Week 2 - 12 singles @ 70%
    Week 3 - 10 singles @ 75%
    Week 4 - 8 singles @ 80%
    Week 5 - 6 singles @ 85%
    Do you ever still use or recommend these training cycles? If so, for whom? If not, why not?

LINK TO ARTICLE
    Last edited by Brad08; 04-06-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Interesting Brad, can you point to me where you got that?

It might be from one of his articles, I just don't know off the top of my head and it helps if I do know where something comes from because it helps Lou remember the background of when he did create something

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

It might be from one of his articles, I just don't know off the top of my head and it helps if I do know where something comes from because it helps Lou remember the background of when he did create something

I don't think he is saying Louie provided those percentages, he is just using it as an example to see if Louie would recommend it or not and why.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned

I've added the link to my post. My understanding is, this was very old westside/simmons stuff, and those cycles represented the training to be done on what we now call DE day. Ive heard that those cycles built a lot of strong guys and I just wonder why/how Louie transitioned to the current DE cycles, and if he thinks those old cycles still have value, particularly for newer lifters, raw lifters, etc. Maybe those older cycles were too much workload or the percentages were just too heavy once his guys got so strong.
    Last edited by Brad08; 04-06-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Good stuff Brad! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    I've added the link to my post. My understanding is, this was very old westside/simmons stuff, and those cycles represented the training to be done on what we now call DE day. Ive heard that those cycles built a lot of strong guys and I just wonder why/how Louie transitioned to the current DE cycles, and if he thinks those old cycles still have value, particularly for newer lifters, raw lifters, etc. Maybe those older cycles were too much workload or the percentages were just too heavy once his guys got so strong.

Ok, or maybe I was wrong...

Into the night.
    Pretty awesome of Louie to agree to do this, and for Chris to talk him into it. I look forward to reading all the good advice.

Banned
    Mr. Simmons,

I had a question regarding your methods when training an athlete, football specifically. What methods or template do you use with these athletes, and along side of that what differences in training protocol would you make for them as opposed to one of your full meet lifters, such as Greg Panora or Tony Bolognone. The basis for my question arises from a discussion on sport specific training for football I had with Travis Bell, within this discussion we arrived at an impasse where it seemed to me that a football player would be best served by utilizing a Westside ME/DE split, with more varied accessory and sport specific movements outside of those used for one whose focus is powerlifting only, to increase not only muscle growth, but providing more improvement in GPP and SPP which is a necessity (in my opinion) for football . Travis’ implication (or what it seemed to me) was that using the similar split to current Westside lifters would provide the optimal benefit.

Thank you for your time.

Will Noble

Id like to hear what he says about that one also

Wannabebig Member
    In one of his videos Simmons mentioned that exercises that work for him also work for individuals that are built like him. And so that they were also trying to group the tall lifters with the tall lifters and the short lifters with the short lifters since they benefit from the same exercises.

I am wondering if Simmons thinks this is still true and if so what kind of exercises are most beneficial for tall & short lifters and what kind of exercises are least beneficial for tall and short lifters.

I know; "just work you weak spot". But some exercises just dont work for me but work for others so it would be of great help for people if they knew what exercises they should try first.

I hope this rambling still makes sense!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Celli View Post
    I like this idea. WBB always getting better and better!

My time anymore seems to be more and more limited. I would'nt mind having a Q/A also, if anyone is interested.
    If you are answering, I'm sure as hell interested.

Wannabebig Member
    good idea