The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

PR'ed squat but bench going down?

Hi so I will give some background as to what I have been doing recently. About two months ago I worked my squat up to about 260 3x5, but I hurt my back in the process. Spent the last two months rehabbing and I did Bill Starr's 5x5 for my bench press, but just did 135 squats for flexibility. Anyway, I got my bench up to a solid 240 on the monday set, and 250 on the friday 3 rep set.

My back started to feel better around a month ago so I have started heavy squatting again. I decided I wanted to gain about 10 more pounds so I have been drinking a lot of milk. My squat today was already 270 for 3 sets of 5. However, I couldn't even do 225 for 3 sets of 5 on my bench press. Even the first set was a struggle. I am doing starting strength now by the way, mainly to increase my squat and military press. I assumed this would lower my bench slightly, but not by this much. I believe it has to do with the fact that I am absolutely gassing myself on my squat sets. Has anyone experienced this? FYI, I am 6'5" 225 and have gained about 5 pounds in 2-3 weeks. My military press and squat are both increasing every workout but bench feels horrible .

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Havent tried starting strength but squat/deadlift fatigue will definitely negatively impact your effective strength on other lifts

Matt Wright
    When you are on starting strength, you will often stall on one lift and continue progressing on the others. It's a good idea to drop back 25-30lbs on the stalling lifts, and continue your 5lb progressions. It sounds like that might be what you should try.

Make sure you aren't just psyching yourself out.
    Injured.

Banned
    Good idea..

I will probably drop weight and go with some easy sets for 2-3 weeks. The main goal of SS was to get back to my squat level quickly (already surpassed it) and to aid my bad military press.

Beefcaker gives good advice.

But it may not be necessary to drop 25-30 pounds. Sometimes even 10 pounds can do the trick and get you headed back in the right direction. Do what you feel is best for your body, if that means dropping 25 pounds and continuing, do so.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Banned
    I had this yesterday actually. PR'd my squat, and my bench is worse than a few weeks ago. But my bench press just sucks in general. I'm a fairly similar build to you by the way. A little bit lighter but not too much. Long arms. But a strong back and hips. I'm just not a good presser.

I was working in with a very strong guy on the bench and he basically told me not to worry about it if my other lifts were going up. He told me my squat was very good and with very good depth, and my deadlift is about the same as his. Always nice to hear that from experienced lifters. If I can lift as much as shorter, stockier, heavier people like him on the big boy lifts, then I'm happy.

Maybe if you keep improving on the squat and adding weight then the added muscle mass and stronger CNS will eventually carry over to your bench press.

Banned
    lol my deadlift has gotten stronger than it used to be but my bench and squat are still weaker. i must be using worse and worse form on deadlift since my legs are weaker than they were when my pull was much less.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I had this yesterday actually. PR'd my squat, and my bench is worse than a few weeks ago. But my bench press just sucks in general. I'm a fairly similar build to you by the way. A little bit lighter but not too much. Long arms. But a strong back and hips. I'm just not a good presser.

I was working in with a very strong guy on the bench and he basically told me not to worry about it if my other lifts were going up. He told me my squat was very good and with very good depth, and my deadlift is about the same as his. Always nice to hear that from experienced lifters. If I can lift as much as shorter, stockier, heavier people like him on the big boy lifts, then I'm happy.

Maybe if you keep improving on the squat and adding weight then the added muscle mass and stronger CNS will eventually carry over to your bench press.
    I hear ya...I am exactly the same. Before I hurt my back I was able to pull 365 5 times on deadlifts. My max was 4 plates. Bench is always something that has been a struggle. Honestly, I think it varies a lot depending on bench width and height off the ground. At the ballys by my work I feel like the weight always feels like. At the ballys near my house the weight ALWAYS feels heavy as hell, no matter what.