The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Ripptoe's Starting Strength - Holy cow (And a question)

So I finished a 6-week cycle of Starr's 5x5 (I was still making gains, but I got sick and really couldn't do the entire workout for two weeks, then wound up tweaking an ankle, which kept me out another week).

By the time I got back to the gym, I realized I really didn't have the motivation to go in and do the 5x5 starting all over again yet. I needed something a little different, but something that uses those lifts (Deadlift, Bench, Squat).

I looked up Ripptoe's Starting Strength and I liked what I saw. Tried it today.

Day A.

Holy crap.

Obviously I'm starting well below my maxxes, but it beat the crap out of me.

I loved every second of it.

Great, great routine, even for someone who has been lifting awhile. Nice change of pace, too.

For my question:

I haven't had much time to read in depth into the routine (I will, just need a few extra spare minutes, and to be honest, I'll probably answer my question when I do that) but it seems like the workout is set up to be worked with a 4-day split.

My body reacts better to 3-Day splits. I could always do a 3-day, correct?

Instead of structuring it as: A/B/Off/A/B/Off/Off

I could structure it as: A/Off/B/Off/A/Off/Off/B/Off/A/Off/B/Off/Off

Anyone see any issue in doing that?
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    So I finished a 6-week cycle of Starr's 5x5 (I was still making gains, but I got sick and really couldn't do the entire workout for two weeks, then wound up tweaking an ankle, which kept me out another week).

By the time I got back to the gym, I realized I really didn't have the motivation to go in and do the 5x5 starting all over again yet. I needed something a little different, but something that uses those lifts (Deadlift, Bench, Squat).

I looked up Ripptoe's Starting Strength and I liked what I saw. Tried it today.

Day A.

Holy crap.

Obviously I'm starting well below my maxxes, but it beat the crap out of me.

I loved every second of it.

Great, great routine, even for someone who has been lifting awhile. Nice change of pace, too.

For my question:

I haven't had much time to read in depth into the routine (I will, just need a few extra spare minutes, and to be honest, I'll probably answer my question when I do that) but it seems like the workout is set up to be worked with a 4-day split.

My body reacts better to 3-Day splits. I could always do a 3-day, correct?

Instead of structuring it as: A/B/Off/A/B/Off/Off

Anyone see any issue in doing that?
    That's the way it is structured. It's a three day split.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Do you have the book, or did you find it from a website?
    It is a 3-day split structured as I quoted.
    Check out my Journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    I just give the worked on muscle group tough riddles before my workouts... or sometimes I'll tell them we're going to the park and then go to the gym, or visa versa. They start to catch on so you have to tell the truth every so often.
    *While on the topic of muscle confusion, and how often a routine needs to be changed.*

Quote Originally Posted by nockits View Post
    Do you have the book, or did you find it from a website?
    It is a 3-day split structured as I quoted.
    I don't have the book. I read bits and pieces on line for awhile now and then stumbled upon it when looking for a new routine.

I'm going to go buy the book as soon as my funds allow, which should be this week

Glad to hear it's structured as a 3-day, I'd never make it doing that 4 days a week

Thanks for the help.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method