Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyones going green ...

Wannabebig New Member

Everyones going green ...

if no one goes green except 1 guy , that guy aint doing squat . It's as if the greenness isnt even happening .

So , with that reasoning , I want everyone to go green so I can continue to live life not going green . With everyone going green the planet will not even feel my non-greenness .

Thanks in advance for you guys going green , and if you dont really want to and are thinking of not going green you are putting a huge damper on my life . So get off your lazy a$$ and start the green non-sense . If anything you need to hurry to offset my carbon foot print .

Peace .
    Last edited by Brawl; 04-21-2009 at 09:39 PM.
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Aw, I was the one who didn't wanna go green. Now I have to so I won't put that damper on your life.

Where and how do I start?

Name: Justin Height: 6'2" Weight: 205 lbs. Age: 25

"Pick the right door, and you'll go free ... pick the wrong door, and there he'll be ..."

"It's the most fun in the park, when you're laughing in the dark!"

I'm considering setting up a solar panel system to power my computer, the panels would charge a battery, with a backup using the AC outlet. But only because it would be a cool engineering project, and not so much for the environment, that's just a perk.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Regardless of how you feel about global warming/the environment, the steps people take to go green are good for everyone so I fully support it.

I think it's called a "Social Trap" in psychology. As everyone wants to truly go green, but our mentality is that driving our own fossil fuel car wont contribute to the green house gases as everyone else is doing so.

If I owned a house with a yard, I'd totally build windmills. Enough power to run the entire house and whatever's left over must be purchased by the power company at their own consumer rates. It's green AND you get to stick it to the man!
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Banned
    OP - you're an idiot. I mean that in the nicest possible way.

VikingWarlord - You're right. As per-****ing-usual. What's bad about making your own electricity? Your house is your castle.

Unfortunately the return is quite long-term, but as technology improves and prices come down it will get better and better. My parents live out in the countryside on top of a hill. They've looked at windmills before but I think they said it could take up to a decade to pay itself off. If you were never going to move house though it would be a great long-term investment. Where it gets good is combining with other technologies, ie going green. So by living in a better-insulated house, installing more efficient lighting and water systems, getting thicker glass and then combining wind and solar then the overall effect can be total independence. In hot countries, solar panels are extremely effective, I've spoked to people who managed to make enough electricity to sell it back to the power company. That's awesome. Wind is not so good a return.

Brawl..

You've inspired me to take my daily **** on the front lawn.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

We have a problem here, I'm anti green. So Brawl if your neutral I need someone to be extra super hippie green to offset me.

I'll check back later after I'm done pouring my oil on the ground from the last oil change I did. I also need to remember and break a throw a few CFL lightbulbs at some spotted owls.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

As much as I hate Gore and the way he is making millions on this politcially driven movement, I believe in a few things. Such as recycling, reusing materials whenever I can, shrinking what I throwout in the trash, cutting down the amount of power I use everyday. Within the next 5 years my family's plan is to try and produce 100% of our homes energy - we should get our solar panel plans in like 2 weeks, not sure if we will have the money and we want to make sure it looks nice also. I want to be off the grid and "stick it to the man" also.

What I will not give up is my big SUV. I am not convinced that global warming is "man-made", there are to many scientists on bothsides of the argument. People say that if you don't believe global warming is man-made you are an idiot and these people generally in the academic community have intimidated scientists into agreeing with them in fear of losing their jobs. Now, these same people will scream from the highest mountain that there is no God and belief in God is a crock, since there is no proof. However, there is no doubt in their minds that global warming is man-made even though there is absolutely no proof that man is causing it.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher View Post
    As much as I hate Gore and the way he is making millions on this politcially driven movement, I believe in a few things. Such as recycling, reusing materials whenever I can, shrinking what I throwout in the trash, cutting down the amount of power I use everyday. Within the next 5 years my family's plan is to try and produce 100% of our homes energy - we should get our solar panel plans in like 2 weeks, not sure if we will have the money and we want to make sure it looks nice also. I want to be off the grid and "stick it to the man" also.

What I will not give up is my big SUV. I am not convinced that global warming is "man-made", there are to many scientists on bothsides of the argument. People say that if you don't believe global warming is man-made you are an idiot and these people generally in the academic community have intimidated scientists into agreeing with them in fear of losing their jobs. Now, these same people will scream from the highest mountain that there is no God and belief in God is a crock, since there is no proof. However, there is no doubt in their minds that global warming is man-made even though there is absolutely no proof that man is causing it.
    Where did you buy your solar panels from?? Was it expensive?
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

You'll be able to buy a backyard nuclear reactor soon, for...10k I think?

http://gizmodo.com/5054950/backyard-...o-ship-by-2013

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Banned
    I think having solar panels would be cool. But being in an apartment it isn't exactly feasable right now.
    I like lakeripples idea, and for the same reasons too though I would have no idea how to do it.

Banned
    me want nuclear reactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    I think having solar panels would be cool. But being in an apartment it isn't exactly feasable right now.
    I like lakeripples idea, and for the same reasons too though I would have no idea how to do it.
    It would be fun project, but not cheap. Here is a writeup of a system that runs 24/7 that cost $5000. Not needing 24/7 would bring down the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d-pc,1693.html

This kit would probably do ya. http://store.sundancesolar.com/75wasoensywi.html
    Last edited by Genacide; 04-22-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    If I owned a house with a yard, I'd totally build windmills. Enough power to run the entire house and whatever's left over must be purchased by the power company at their own consumer rates. It's green AND you get to stick it to the man!
    There's actually someone in my city who is putting up a wind turbine in his backyard. He's running it as a pilot project to prove that backyard wind turbines are economically viable so he can turn it into a business.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    There's actually someone in my city who is putting up a wind turbine in his backyard. He's running it as a pilot project to prove that backyard wind turbines are economically viable so he can turn it into a business.
    How large is the wind turbine? If it's the small roof mounts that are a couple feet across he's going to need a few. If it's a large turbine I would be concerned with shadow flicker if I was his neighbor. If you don't know what shadow flicker is their are some good vids on youtube. It would drive me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMass View Post
    Where did you buy your solar panels from?? Was it expensive?
    I did not buy them. I got an archietect and green guy working together to see if there is a decent solution that looks nice b/c I bet everyone in my neighborhood would do it. When I get the price tag and the plans I'll let you know who it was.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    That is the thing, I am trying to not force my beliefs and bring down the value of my neighbors houses. If someone slapped up a wind turbine in my neighborhood, I would be pissed since it would drop the value of my house. Kind of the same reason they aren't allowed to make wind turbines off the coast of Marthas Vineyard b/c it will ruin Ted Kennedy's ocean views.

That is the thing, I am trying to not force my beliefs and bring down the value of my neighbors houses. If someone slapped up a wind turbine in my neighborhood, I would be pissed since it would drop the value of my house. Kind of the same reason they aren't allowed to make wind turbines off the coast of Marthas Vineyard b/c it will ruin Ted Kennedy's ocean views.
    I'm no housing expert, but I wouldn't think a small turbine on a roof would bring down values.

http://www.swiftwindturbine.com/pictures.php

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post
    It would be fun project, but not cheap. Here is a writeup of a system that runs 24/7 that cost $5000. Not needing 24/7 would bring down the price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...d-pc,1693.html

This kit would probably do ya. http://store.sundancesolar.com/75wasoensywi.html
    wow... maybe it will come down in price haha.
    I still think it would be neat to do someday, being self sufficient after a fun little project.

Banned
    I'm no housing expert, but I wouldn't think a small turbine on a roof would bring down values.

http://www.swiftwindturbine.com/pictures.php
    How much could those generate? It looks like hes lining with solar panels or something on top of it.

How large is the wind turbine? If it's the small roof mounts that are a couple feet across he's going to need a few. If it's a large turbine I would be concerned with shadow flicker if I was his neighbor. If you don't know what shadow flicker is their are some good vids on youtube. It would drive me insane.
    Mr. Findlay's wind turbine stands about 10 metres high - a one-metre "energy ball" that catches the wind, on top of a nine-metre pole firmly anchored to the ground - though it's currently lying on its side. The energy ball looks more like a hollowed-out airplane nose than a traditional three-blade turbine propeller, but it's capable of generating 500 watts of electricity during peak wind, which could supply about 10 per cent of the Findlay home's energy needs.

It's also specially made for urban residential use, so it's supposed to operate almost silently, with no measurable noise above natural ambient sound. It's the machine's lack of blade tips that allows it to operate so quietly, Mr. Findlay says.
    http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen...d-f7f43f036648

As far as I know, he's currently being held up by city by-laws.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    How much could those generate? It looks like hes lining with solar panels or something on top of it.
    From their website (1.5 kWh) approx 20% of the energy that a normal household uses. Supplementing with solar panels would be a good idea if you in a part of the country that gets a lot of sun. Here in MI solar panels aren't to useful.
    Last edited by Genacide; 04-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Banned
    From their website (1.5 kWh) approx 20% of the energy that a normal household uses. Supplementing with solar panels would be a good idea if you in a part of the country that gets a lot of sun. Here in MI solar panels aren't to useful.
    Out of curiosity does transporting electricity cost much? IE having solar fields or somethign where people in certain parts can sell their extra sunlight electricity to someone in, say MI?