The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Matt Wright

Bench only routine?

I herniated a lumbar disk back in November, right as I was really getting into powerlifting. I was supposed to be able to "lift heavy" again in April, but I think the PT didn't realize that meant squats and deadlifts. After a couple, three weeks, my back was back to being bad. I didn't go crazy heavy, but to be honest I don't think I was ready for anything like that no matter what the weight. Just 95lb squats make me want to lye down on the garage floor.

I have about 2-3 weeks experience with Rippetoe's starting strength now, though. I realize now that was a REAL stupid move to start that so early (even though I knocked the weights back quite a bit), but that's the past so I'm moving on from my mistake and learning from it. From now, until the end of recovery, recovery is priority #1.

That being said, I felt like I was making some real good progress on SS and i would like to keep that going. I also have decided to go ahead and train for a powerlifting meet. The only way for me to do that is to temporarily focus on, and compete in the bench press only. The problem lies in the fact that i am so inexperienced with powerlifting. I am not asking somebody to write me a routine, but I would like some help. I would just use somebody else's routine that knows what they're doing, but they all seem to be tailored to an experienced powerlifter with tons of equipment - Metal Militia's for instance. I don't have bands, boards, or chains. I'm not experienced enough yet.

What I was thinking I would do is 2 bench days a week (Tues/Sat), and an assistance day(Thurs). Maybe I'll make one bench day a light day (by "light," I mean the most weight I can do for a higher amount of reps), and the other a heavy day. Or should I go with an ABA BAB set up with Bench,Assistance,Bench,Assistance?

I don't have much so far, and I really don't know what i'm doing so feel free to tell me how stupid I am...

Tues: Bench(light)
    -Bench Press 3x10
    -Decline bench 3x10
    -Something else? (maybe CG/WG rotated weekly?)

Thurs: Assistance
    -Standing (or seated) Press 3x5
    -(weighted) Chins 3x5
    -Something else?

Sat: Bench(heavy)
    -Bench Press 3x5
    -(weighted) Dips 3x5
    -Something else? (maybe CG/WG rotated weekly, as well?)

I'm planning on adding 5lbs to each exercise, each workout. When that stalls, I'll add 5lbs to one exercise each workout. When that stalls, I'll step back the weight some. Hopefully I'll be able to squat/deadlift in the next couple of months, but I'm not going to rush it.

Tell me what you think... I really need input! I want to start this on Saturday, if I can. I need to get a plan going, and some input from some more experienced lifters would be grand.

EDIT: Should I add in some DB press? I don't want to add too much.
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-09-2009 at 01:53 AM.
    Injured.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't care much for your routine, I would go with a Westside Routine. It's already established and will give you the right assistance work. Regarding your back, you need to get your core strong. You should be doing a lot of ab and low back work. I know you won't want to use heavy weights, but you can do good mornings with just a band wrapped around your neck. Dragging a light sled is also great. I have two ruptured discs and the less active I am the more they bother me. It's hard to figure out that line of when not to push it too hard. Best of luck in your recovery.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Matt Wright
    Yeah, my routine does blow. So you are recommending that I use the Westside but only do the bench days?

By lowerback you mean things like GM's and hyperextensions? Would you do any DL's with 135 or something else real light?

Thanks man
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-10-2009 at 01:56 AM.
    Injured.

Matt Wright
    Okay so I've spent a good bit of the day trying to cram on the WSBB method so that I can use it while I learn about it. I have a couple questions now...

1-should the DE and ME exercises be the same as each other?
    2-change exercises when I stall, or every 4 weeks?
    3-think it would be a bad idea to do the lower-body days with super light weights or should I still leave that alone? I can't even sit down for more than 30 minutes without having to stand up, so I'll work my ass off to get it healed if I need to. I wanna lift
    4-i don't have access to a reverse-hyper, so are hypers sufficient?
    Last edited by Beefcaker; 04-10-2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Injured.

GM's with band, you don't have to use the heavy one Jim is using You are rehabbing. http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.a...=13411&tid=101

Here's an article on my pursuit of a 600lb raw bench http://www.elitefts.com/documents/600lb_raw_bench.htm
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 04-10-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Matt Wright
    I assume free weight version is adequate? (I don't have bands)

Nice routine. One question: What's the reasoning behind all the bicep work?
    Injured.