The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar

Tom Mutaffis Strongman Training Videos

Posted up some new videos yesterday...

Here is the first one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XpPA5LhNw

- 40,000 lbs bus pull with no lead rope.
    - 805 lbs tire / rolling thunder farmers medley (uphill)
    - 775 lbs yoke / 200 keg carry medley

Also did an 825 lbs Yoke for 50 feet no drops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx39cZQU8N8

And here is a 305 lbs Log Strict Press:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZP0kYMXlyc

*I got excited and did not hold the lockout on the press...
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Absolutely BEAST.

Impressive stuff!

Thanks guys!

I saw that someone posted a comment on youtube about the 2nd yoke video - I actually took off running to grab a sand-filled keg and carry it back, but my Cameraman didn't follow what was going on.

Tom, where did you guys get the bus?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Tom, where did you guys get the bus?
    One of my training partners is putting on a contest in July and there is a "party bus" company right next to the resturant where he works. They agreed to let us use one for the contest and he wanted to test it out.

After the first run with the lead rope was too easy I decided to give it a try without the rope.

I guess that a guy chained to a bus pulling it down the street is probably not something that you see everyday...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    One of my training partners is putting on a contest in July and there is a "party bus" company right next to the resturant where he works. They agreed to let us use one for the contest and he wanted to test it out.

After the first run with the lead rope was too easy I decided to give it a try without the rope.

I guess that a guy chained to a bus pulling it down the street is probably not something that you see everyday...
    Ahh, very cool! I would love to try that one of these days.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverItTakes View Post
    Tom,

Like always, some very impressive training! I have a question for you. I hold the yoke with a high hand placement like you do and I also force my elbows up in order to create a bigger "shelf' for the yoke to rest on. But my problem is that the yoke keeps slipping off my back. Sometimes it even kills my neck b/c of the pressure, but mostly it just keeps fallin off. I know I can move the weight if it stayed on. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks WhateverItTakes. Have you tried doing the yoke with your hands on the crossbar like a squat? Some people prefer that method.

Another thing that is very important is the actual crossbar, and the type of shirt that you are wearing. If you have athletic tape on the crossbar that will help it to grip a little better on your back. Another thing is to always wear a cotton t-shirt (no multi-layers, no underarmor) and put on a fresh one if you are sweaty. You should also chalk your upper back to help the bar to grip and you want to get the bar seated right on your traps if possible. You will see that when I am preparing for the lift I will move my head up and down; this is how I find the right spot where I can pick the yoke and keep it in a solid place on my back.

One trick that I used at Nationals last year when they had a non-taped crossbar and some warmer temperatures was to use stickum spray. I put the stickum spray under my shirt on my back so that my shirt would adhere to my back, and then some additional spray on the outside of my t-shirt to make sure that I had a firm grip on the implement.

It is not uncommon for me to scrape up my traps / back of my neck doing yoke walk if I do a lot of volume in training. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    You are a beast. When is the next competition for you?
    Thanks Cmanuel. I will be doing a demonstration at a Highland Games on 4/25 and then competing in a small local contest - the South Carolina Baby Beast on 4/26. Then will be doing the Rage in the Cage Strongman in New Burn, NC on 5/23. For June I have GA's Strongest Man and York Strongman up in PA. The local contests are a part of the Southern Slam Strongman Circuit, with the overall winner being crowned regional champion.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Ahh, very cool! I would love to try that one of these days.
    I'll let you know if there are any events in VA or nearby. APT makes a good harness for doing truck/bus/car pulls.

Dam Tom you are truly impressive. Great vid!
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Banned
    if you still ived in nj id hunt you down and force you to train to make me be as strong as you are.

and then in the process id get my ass kicked because youre a beast dude. good job man thats killer.
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-09-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar
    Tom,

Like always, some very impressive training! I have a question for you. I hold the yoke with a high hand placement like you do and I also force my elbows up in order to create a bigger "shelf' for the yoke to rest on. But my problem is that the yoke keeps slipping off my back. Sometimes it even kills my neck b/c of the pressure, but mostly it just keeps fallin off. I know I can move the weight if it stayed on. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Banned
    You are a beast. When is the next competition for you?

Wannabebig Member WhateverItTakes's Avatar
    Thank you very much for the thorough and insightful response. I have tried holding onto the crossbar and that didn't work all that well for me. But I am going to certainly try your ideas of moving my head around to find the right spot to rest the bar on my traps and I will def try the chalk or stickum. Thank you again and good luck with all your future comps!

Banned
    Those are damn impressive. Each new video you seem to be getting stronger and more athletic!

I have a really general (possibly stupid) question, but are there numerous different weight categorys in strongman, like in Olympic lifting and powerlifting?

You're incredibly strong for your size but are you wanting to stay in the 220 weight level are are you wanting to be as strong as possible and push into the heavyweights? How do you compare to the heavyweights like World's Stronget Man competitors, for instance? Do you find that gaining mass makes a big difference to your speed and athleticism?
    Last edited by J.C.; 04-10-2009 at 08:59 AM.

Awesome video!
    (SQ) 550 (BP) 425 (DL) 550
    5'9" 195lbs.

2014 Goals: 365 raw bench; Triple bodyweight deadlift; 1500 meet total @ 198

YouTube -- http://www.youtube.com/user/CarlDonatiJr?feature=mhee
    Journal -- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...-Get-Stronger!