Thread: Bench question

Bench question

We are trying to get my wife into a shirt for the next meet, but she's doing some funky stuff I'm not sure how to address....

We have both a single ply rage X and a singly ply F6 she's trying to get the groove of. From about 165 lbs up every 2nd or 3rd set she does this really funky thing where she brings the weight down to her lower chest, than, rather than pressing it up or up towards her head, she lifts her elbows and throws the weight towards her abdomen----like a standing triceps pressdown, except she's lying on her back. She's benched 205 in the Rage X in the gym @138 and has done 185 several times in the F6, so I dont think its a strength issue. That said, even with those weights shes throwing the weight towards her belly every 2-3 sets. To me its not like the shirt is dumping towards her belly either, its like I said above, rather than pressing out, she's raising her elbows and then pushing the weight down. If I spot her with my fingers on the bar towards her feet, she doesn't doe it as much, but she does it.

As anyone seen this? What did you do to fix it? Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Last edited by JK1; 04-17-2009 at 10:58 AM.

The weight is getting ahead of her elbows most likely on the way down and then throwing the weight even more forward on the way up.

It's probably because she gets tired by those sets and isn't controlling the shirt as well

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    The weight is getting ahead of her elbows most likely on the way down and then throwing the weight even more forward on the way up.

It's probably because she gets tired by those sets and isn't controlling the shirt as well

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you on throwing the weight forward. She tries to push it towards her feet. When she does this, she'd literally dump the weight on her pelvis if we didn't catch the bar.

As far as a shirt goes, she has fought a **** more than any person I've ever seen before and any person I've tried to teach to use a shirt. Rather than letting the shirt guide her, she tries to fight it all the way down and then back up. Thats part of the reason for the two shirts. The F6 is ridiculously loose to me, but she doesn't fight it as much. The Rage X is a titch tighter, but she fights it like mad.

Exactly. When you fight a shirt, it can catch you.

If you don't control the shirt on the way down, it can literally throw the weight one way or another. Sometimes it's towards your face if you try and touch too high. If you try and touch too low and your elbows lose position, it can throw the weight on your belly and dump it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

I would suggest having her do some reverse grip curls and hammer curls. That may give her more strength in the bicepts to keep her elbows under her wrists during the press.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

If she is doing it before she touches..its like Travis said. She is getting the weight to far in front of her elbows and she has to "pop" her elbows out to let it go. It could be because she is getting tired and cant control the weight anymore. It could be just a technique issue..

If she is doing it after she touches it is just a technique issue. She should touch and then, once she gets the bar going up, flare her elbows back out and bring the bar back towards her lockout spot. You didnt state whether it was before the touch or after...
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by bencher8 View Post
    If she is doing it after she touches it is just a technique issue. She should touch and then, once she gets the bar going up, flare her elbows back out and bring the bar back towards her lockout spot. You didnt state whether it was before the touch or after...
    That makes alot of sense. She does it every time after touching. the weight will come up off her chest and then as she gets a couple of inches up (just before the point where I'd flare my elbows if I was her) then throws it towards her pelvis. It makes sense that she's not flaring her elbows correctly. Thats something I haven't watched as closely as I should. She has relatively long arms (She's 5'8 or so) with a small chest, so she has to really, really tuck her arms too to get the weight to touch. if she fires her triceps hard and doesn't flare her elbows, I can see her throwing the weight exactly like she does because of the position of her elbows.

Thanks... We'll see if working on flaring fixes the problem. How much of a factor will grip position have on this? She likes to take a grip with the pinkie on the ring or slightly wider, which to me is almost too wide for her shoulder width.
    Last edited by JK1; 04-17-2009 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I would suggest having her do some reverse grip curls and hammer curls. That may give her more strength in the bicepts to keep her elbows under her wrists during the press.

This is actually more of a problem I'm having with my right arm---I've got an old elbow fracture and have had biceps tendonitis and tennis elbow for a long time in my right arm. When I bench heavy--ie up over 545 I tend to drop my right arm and shoulder to touch. What I think I'm doing is I'm not keeping my elbow under my wrist, instead I'm dropping my wrist back a bit with my right arm. Its subtle, but its enough to cause a bit of a weird shift in the bar too. I've been trying to bring up biceps/forearm strength to address this problem.

A narrower grip will make it easier for her to tuck her elbows, but may make it harder to flare the elbows out correctly. The amount of elbow flare has to be in proportion to the grip width. If she flares too much her elbows will get outside her grip and wont be in a strong position to lock out..if she doesnt flare enough, then she might have a problem cause the bar will get behind her wrists and end up falling back in the rack.

She just needs to work on getting the elbow flare timing down...when you flare the elbows is just as important as how much you flare them.

Sometimes it can be hard because if you are stronger that day, or get more out of the shirt than expected...it effects how fast the bar rises, which can in turn make timing the elbow flare harder.....so much can go wrong, its amazing when a lift goes right lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

I totally agree with Bencher 8 on the flare issue. When your timing is on at a meet, it's PR time. When it's off, you either get red lighted for a dip(flaring to late) or not locking out(flaring to early).
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Yada, yada, yada, get a video up and we will be able to help much better.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    Yada, yada, yada, get a video up and we will be able to help much better.
    thanks Vinnie. You want one before or after?
    Last edited by JK1; 04-18-2009 at 09:06 AM.