The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Form check

Hybrid View

Form check

Here are some squats from last weeks ME day. The form looked a lot better on my little digital camera screen.

235lbs-i recomend skipping straight to :35 sec. Im just jacking around
    Video

225lbs
    Video

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First, I would unrack/rack the bar a notch lower. Get as tight as possible under the bar. Take a big gulp of air and hold it threw the entire rep. Try to go deeper also, you want your hip to be parallel or lower than the knee. Check out the Squat Rx videos, I learned so much from watching them over the winter and taping my form all the time.

I will let some of the more experienced guys comment on your actual form. The thing I did notice right off the bat was that you rack the bar on a really high pin. As the weight gets heavier you may have a hard time getting the bar out without ruining bar position as well as risking injury.

EDIT: Someone beat me to it haha.
    Last edited by danmac; 04-12-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    Bench 408 (Single Ply)
    Deadlift 507 (Belt only)
    Squat 515 (Single Ply)
    JOURNAL
    VIDEOS

Thanks guy, tomorrow is my ME squat again so ill have more videos tomorrow with hopefully some changes.Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by slashkills; 04-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.

I squatted pretty close to your form when I started. I've had to overhaul my form twice to fix it. How far apart are your feet? The key to squatting is to arch big and push your knees out. If you do those two things, then squatting is 100 times easier.

Your initiate the squat decently with pushing your hips back. When you do that, focus on arching your back really hard. It's pretty much impossible to arch too hard. Lower back and ab work will help you arch better. Then just keep sitting back AND pushing your knees out. Your knees start to slide forward which is bad. It makes it really hard to hit depth unless you go ATG. If you arch hard and push your knees out, then it's 100 times easier to get depth. Judging from where you cut it and how it looks, you're hamstrings and glutes are probably weak. You're squatting in the range where it's all quads. Do a lot of accessory work to make your hamstrings and glutes stronger.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I squatted pretty close to your form when I started. I've had to overhaul my form twice to fix it. How far apart are your feet? The key to squatting is to arch big and push your knees out. If you do those two things, then squatting is 100 times easier.

Your initiate the squat decently with pushing your hips back. When you do that, focus on arching your back really hard. It's pretty much impossible to arch too hard. Lower back and ab work will help you arch better. Then just keep sitting back AND pushing your knees out. Your knees start to slide forward which is bad. It makes it really hard to hit depth unless you go ATG. If you arch hard and push your knees out, then it's 100 times easier to get depth. Judging from where you cut it and how it looks, you're hamstrings and glutes are probably weak. You're squatting in the range where it's all quads. Do a lot of accessory work to make your hamstrings and glutes stronger.
    i just tried to do a bww squat arching very hard and i lose my balance when i get to around parallel. i am not a strong squatter but i squat around 260 atgs.

Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    i just tried to do a bww squat arching very hard and i lose my balance when i get to around parallel. i am not a strong squatter but i squat around 260 atgs.
    That probably means weak hamstrings. The other key is to keep pushing your knees out the whole time.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Banned
    yeah i just hope once ei put on weight i wont lose balance. i usually have better balance with weight however. idk ill see how 135 feels on tuesday then go up fromthere.
    Last edited by rctriplefresh5; 04-13-2009 at 12:52 AM.

Banned
    VERY NICE SQUATTING MAN. i could be wrong on this but those looked pretty high to me. however very nice squatting regardless of that.

First of all, props for squatting, and props for posting vids of yourself squatting and asking for advice. Getting picked apart by a bunch of strangers can be pretty harrowing sometimes.

You're not going low enough. Your 225 video is very, very close, though still not quiet there. I don't know what your goals are, but I would consider going at least a good 2 inches below parallel and staying consistent with that. I know you're really considered with squatting more weight, and I know the 10-20 lb drop in weight it will take to make that depth is kind of killer on the ego, but its worth it in the long run.

Stay tighter. On your second video you look pretty loose. Take a big breath of air before you squat and push out the abs out.

Someone already addressed this, but arch more. Push your chest up more too. Chest high, strong arch, and your back will stay more erect which creates less torque on your lower back (i.e. will make the weight easier to squat once your hamstrings, quads, and glutes are stronger). This will probably also make it easier to hit depth.

Besides that there's really not much else to critique.
    Stats: 11/15/07-First-meet--2nd Meet----3rd meet
    Weight: 185-----187---------198---------198
    Max Bench: 255---220-----------280------300
    Max Squat: 405----395----------440------460
    Max Dead:475-----485----------551------570
    CHINUPS - Bodyweight + 135, x1, dead hang. Still working on the one arm chinup.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rctriplefresh5 View Post
    VERY NICE SQUATTING MAN. i could be wrong on this but those looked pretty high to me. however very nice squatting regardless of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerboy View Post
    First of all, props for squatting, and props for posting vids of yourself squatting and asking for advice. Getting picked apart by a bunch of strangers can be pretty harrowing sometimes.

You're not going low enough. Your 225 video is very, very close, though still not quiet there. I don't know what your goals are, but I would consider going at least a good 2 inches below parallel and staying consistent with that. I know you're really considered with squatting more weight, and I know the 10-20 lb drop in weight it will take to make that depth is kind of killer on the ego, but its worth it in the long run.

Stay tighter. On your second video you look pretty loose. Take a big breath of air before you squat and push out the abs out.

Someone already addressed this, but arch more. Push your chest up more too. Chest high, strong arch, and your back will stay more erect which creates less torque on your lower back (i.e. will make the weight easier to squat once your hamstrings, quads, and glutes are stronger). This will probably also make it easier to hit depth.

Besides that there's really not much else to critique.
    basically said what i said but added more details nice response.

Ok thanks everyone. I will have more videos up of tonights stuff with your suggestions. Hopefully you see a difference.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    Ok thanks everyone. I will have more videos up of tonights stuff with your suggestions. Hopefully you see a difference.
    you might not even have to drop any weight im sure you could hit 225 a little slower.