Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: MonStar's Journal

(for a description of my diet please click here, for a description of my supplements please click here, for a description of my training please click here, and finally to view my strength goals please click here)

Week 3 | Day 4
    Thursday, April 30, 2002

Cardio.
    • ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Postworkout: 20 minutes Precor machine; resistance was set @ 5.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Lean Body MRP + 1 cup 1% milk + 2 slices whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. low-fat butter
      (530 calories, 58g protein, 58g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 2: 1 oz. peanuts
      (160 calories, 7g protein, 6g carbs, 13g fat)

Meal 3: 2 servings protein + 1 cup 2% milk
      (330 calories, 46g protein, 19g carbs, 8g fat)

Meal 4: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 1 cup skim milk
      (310 calories, 19g protein, 28g carbs, 16g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
      (370 calories, 44g protein, 44g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 6: 1 cup cottage cheese + 1/2 cup pineapple
      (290 calories, 26g protein, 25g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 7: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. peanut butter + 1 cup skim milk
      (210 calories, 14g protein, 25g carbs, 9g fat)

Diet Totals.
      Total Calories: 2200
      Total (g) Protein: 214g - 37%
      Total (g) Carbs: 205g - 35%
      Total (g) Fat: 69g - 28%

Overall Comments.
      Feel pretty good today for the most part. Really looking forward to an awesome set of squats today in the gym. Really need to get my godd*mn intensity up. I am increasing quite a bit from last week. And to acheive some good solid reps I am going to need to focus all day long. Mood definitely sucked today. Dont really know what my f*cking problem was. Wasnt because of any kind of insecurity or anything even similar to that. Not really sure what the damn problem was today.

Pain/Soreness.
      Chest still hurts a little. Not too bad. Lats and midback are really aching badly. Biceps and forearms and brachioradialis are all hurting.

Sleep.
      7.5 hours sleep last night. Good amount of sleep, slept well. Need to keep it up. Looking forward to an EXCELLENT leg day today. Also took an hour nap today from around 10:30 - 11:30 AM. Few hours before my workout. This always helps.

Supplements.
      With Meal 1: multi-vitamin/mineral + 5g glutamine + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 50 mg. zinc + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 2: 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 3: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete

Preworkout: 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx + 250 mg. ALA

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-Tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g arginine + 1g ginger + 250 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen

Before Bed: Sleep Formula + 5g glutamine

Training. Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves.
      Back Squats: 370 x 10.5 (!) [***]

... Holy F*CKING sh*t! This is what I am f*cking talking about godd*mnit! Oh hell f*cking yeah baby!! Great set of squats today holy sh*t. Totally intense as can be, totally all out balls through the motherf*cking wall. Up 15 lbs. from last week, and up a damn rep as well! I will easily no questions asked easily hit my goal of 385 next week for 4. No doubt about it. Anyway great ROM today, just totally awesome overall set. So intense it was unreal. Couldnt believe how many f*cking reps I got! I was expecting around 4-5 and when I hit 5, then 6, then 7, then 8, then 9, then 10!! I was just like what the hell? Great strength here, felt really really strong on squats. Talk about a breathtaking set! Afterwards I spend like 2 minutes catching my f*cking breath I was so exausted. Now I understand why high rep squats are called "breathing squats."

Leg Presses: 800 x 8 (!) [***]

... After that set of squats I was completely fried from the waist down. I mean I was just totally exausted I couldnt even believe it. From the waist down I was totally burned out. Put 800 on the leg press and went all out. Got 8 reps which was kind of suprising acutally. I thought I was totally dead. Up 15 lbs. from last week which is really good. Down a 1/2 rep though which really isnt a big deal. I might have been able to get that 1/2 rep today but at 8 my leg were shaking so badly and they were so exausted I didnt feel like having 800 lbs. come crashing down on me. Good set though.

Seated Leg Extensions: 240 x 8.5 (!) [***]

... Good set here, intense and to failure. Hit my quads very very hard. Really squeezed the f*ck outta them. Kept my ROM good and concentration pretty good as well. Legs were just so exausted at this point. I dont know about how much I am going to increase next week. Ill probably end up going for 250 on these because I still feel strong in these. Well see what happens, good set. Up 10 lbs. and down 1 rep.

Lying Leg Curls: 160 x 9 (!) [***]

... I dont think I can increase too much more on these because at this point in my leg workout my hams are so damn flamed its hard to even get them to perform properly haha. Theyre like shaking insanely throughout the entire set. Good contractions here though, really squeezed my hamstrings hard. Up 10 lbs. from last week but down a 1/2 rep. Not too big of a deal. Maybe up this weight next week to 170 and see how I handle that.

Seated Leg Curls: 210 x 7.5 (!) [***]

... Good set here. Up 10 lbs. from last week. Down 2 reps though which kind of sucked. Definitely no increase next week no matter what. I need to focus on feeling it more in my hamstrings and everything like that rather than just constant weight increases. I think so at least. Good hamstring contractions though, totally failed at 7.5. That last 1/2 rep I was in between a rep for about 10 seconds trying to get that 8th rep.

Standing Cable Pull Throughs: 120 x 9 (!) [***]

... Good set here. Hit glutes very very hard. NO increase next week no matter what. I use a low-cable and a rope attachment for this and its beginning to become more of a power movement than a slow and controlled glute/ham blaster. Good set still. I can tell that as I increase the weight it gets harder and harder to squeeze my glutes hard. Anyway hit glutes hard, good form, and good ROM, nice focus too.

Standing Smith-machine Calf Raises: 300 x 14.5 (!) [***]

... Really really good set of Smith calf raises today. Up 10 lbs. from last week and got the same amount of reps which was good. Really like doing these a lot. Great calf exercise. Stretched my calves at the bottom of each rep - and contracted them very very hard at the top. Overall set was ace. Good pump and incredible burn in my calves. They were totally burning afterwards.

Leg Press Calf Raises: 520 x 15 (!) [***]

... Really dont care for this exercise at all. Good set, hit my calves hard. The damn bottom of leg press is angled away if you can imagine that. So after a few reps my feet basically slide out of my shoes the entire set. I know its hard to explain but its f*cking annoying as hell. Anyway good set, hit my calves hard. Up 10 lbs. from last week and up 1.5 reps. Thats always a good thing. Need to be sure next week to tie my shoes REAL tight before this exercise haha.

Seated Calf Raises: 280 x 19.5 (!) [***]

... Good set here wow! Very intense and definitely all the way to failure no questions asked. Squeezed my calves very hard and stretched my calves hard at the bottom of the rep. Great set here up 10 lbs. from last week and only down 1 rep. At this point my calves were completely fried and exausted and pretty pumped up. Maybe up 5-10 lbs. from next week.

Training Length.
      Workout today lasted 35 minutes. Pretty brief for the most part. Really intense though all throughout.

Water.
      Pretty good amount of water today I guess. Had a big glass with almost every single meal which is good.

Weight.
      Preworkout today, clothed, but without shoes, I weighed 198 lbs. I was kind of between 197.5 - 198 so I just went ahead with 198 rounded up. Curious to see how much I weigh tomorrow because if I am not losing around a pound or 2 every Wednesday then I know this diet really isnt working for me.
    Last edited by MonStar; 05-03-2002 at 10:35 PM.

I think Dave Draper has arms the way a lot of us do, Arnold's were just friggin unreal! Look at the size of those things!

MarshallPenn-
    Yeah man I too believe that looking like Dave Draper is a much more realistic goal. He wasnt even THAT massive if you ask me. Had a nice physique though, maybe not as shredded as Mike Mentzer or Arnold though your right.

... Arnold has got veins in his lower/middle traps!

MS
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-30-2002 at 09:52 AM.

If you're in for realistic goals, and are natural(meaning, in this instance, no illegal anabolics) I think guys like Reg Park, John Grimek, and Steve Reeves are much more realistic goals. Larry Scott and Bill Pearl to a lesser extent as well(They both used fairly miniscule amounts of D-bol. I think 5-15mg a day.) Still I think those guys looked great, and they all had amazing genetics. But I think giving advances in supplementation and training science, I think it's achievable for an someone who works really hard. Guys like Arnold and Draper claim they didn't take that much stuff, but it's hard to say if that's really true. Lee Priest says be barely uses anything, and I'm almost sure that's a crock of sh*t.

Blood&Iron-
    Yeah I know what youre saying man. Yeah Steve Reeves had a good physique. I think I am going to look for an inspiration picture of him. I liked Larry Scott's physique as well. Dave Draper really doesnt seem to be all that big to me, whether he was taking anabolics or not. I never thought he was comparable to Arnold or Franco. Yeah but think about it back in the 1960s and 1970s the anabolics were nothing like the ones today, right?

MS

A guy who is 5'4 with heels and 230+ lbs doesn't barely use, pfft...if that's true, then i'm richer than bill gates and better looking than George Clooney *rolls eyes*
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

just_a_pup-
    Gotta agree man, Lee Priest seems to be so pumped up in anabolics its unbelievable. What I think was ridiculous was hot fat he let himself get. I couldnt believe the beer belly that he developed in all of the magazines. I mean obviously Muscletech payed him insanely to say he used Hydroxycut and Nitrotech and Celltech to get ripped not illegal fat-burning drugs.

MS

I posted this on Elite awhile back. It's Reeves' formula for proper propotions. I think I got it from bodybuilding.com.

Here is the height to rate chart for building a classic physique:
    5'5" 160lbs
    5'6" 165lbs
    5'7" 170lbs
    5'8" 175lbs
    5'9" 180lbs
    5'10" 185lbs
    5'11" 190lbs
    6'0" 200lbs
    6'1" 210lbs
    6'2" 220lbs
    6'3" 230lbs
    6'4" 240lbs
    6'5" 250lbs

Muscle to bone ratios:
    Arm size= 252% of wrist size
    Calf size= 192% of ankle size
    Neck Size= 79% of head size
    Chest Size= 148% of pelvis size
    Waist size= 86% of pelvis size
    Thigh size= 175% of knee size

So lets see how I fall, I am 5'10" - 5'11" so I should be around 185-190 lbs. My upper arm should be 17.64," unfortunately its only around 16.5." Calves should be 18.24," theyre only around 16.25." I dont know my neck size. Dont know pelvis size, how do you measure that? Thigh size should be 27.12," its only 24.5." Damn according to this I should weigh like 10 lbs. less, and have bigger measurements!

MS

... Just deleted all of my images. It was really slowing down my journal big time which is something that I definitely do NOT want at all. I have attached this one image though of Mike Menzter - definitely my favorite and most inspirational of all the pics.

MS
    Attached Images Attached Images

... Just stole CBates idea from his journal of putting --- between in each of my sections. Personally I think that it makes things alot easier to read, etc. Hehe really like how much easier it is to see what section is what etc. Looks good to me!

MS

Do your ears ever pop when you squat? Just wondering. Mine do. Feels like I'm gonna bust an eardrum.

Fart Barker-
    That really depends man. After all of this time I have come to the conclusion and ephedrine and norephedrine and maybe even caffeine make my ears pop - big time. I mean when I talk my ears go through that in and out feeling. Not really plugged like in an airplane but almost like your yawning or something along those lines. Kind of annoying sometimes. Anyway this is just my experience with ephedrine. Some people seem to experience this too not many though. Are you taking any ephedrine based supplements right now?

... So the answer is no. Haha sorry got off track.

MS
    Last edited by MonStar; 04-30-2002 at 06:36 PM.

I haven't taken any since Sunday, but I have to admit that I've been taking alot more than I should.

Originally posted by Fart Barker
    Do your ears ever pop when you squat? Just wondering. Mine do. Feels like I'm gonna bust an eardrum.
    Are you holding your breath or grunting while you perform them? I would bet that this is the cause of the problem.

Fart Barker-
    Yeah man that could be it then, maybe drop it for a few days and see what happens. Be careful bro overdosing with ephedrine can cause some serious side effects, seriously be careful.

MS

Blood&Iron-
    I seem to grunt sometimes. I dont know I always exhale on the way up and inhale on the way down. This always seems to really make each rep a little bit easier. Sometimes I do better yelling a little though. Try not to because my girlfriend feels uncomfortable when people are looking over and I am grunting / cussing.

MS

I hold my breath until I get about half way up and then let it out.

Fart Barker-
    Not the best idea man, that basically a formula to eventually faint in the middle of your set. I personally think that holding your breath is extremely dangerous and can cause some serious injuries. Oxygen not getting to your muscles or to your brain can seriously be extremely dangerous, again be careful. Breathing is a very important part of training that it seems not many people pay enough attention to.

MS

I have to disagree - you should be holding your breath during the squat, it increases abdominal pressure and supports the spine.

MarshallPenn-
    But its important to get oxygen to your muscles and brain. How can you perform an exercise with hundreds of pounds on your back without oxygen to your muscles and your brain? Seems impossible if you ask me. Anytime I held my breath during leg presses or a compound movement I got a splitting headache afterwards and was extremely dizzy, etc.

MS

(for a description of my diet please click here, for a description of my supplements please click here, for a description of my training please click here, and finally to view my strength goals please click here)

Week 3 | Day 5
    Thursday, May 1, 2002

Cardio.
      Postworkout: 10 minutes Precor machine; resistance set @ level 5 + 10 minutes treadmill; 3.5 MPH @ a 15% incline.

Diet. Isocaloric Day.
      Meal 1: Myoplex HP MRP + 1 cup 1% milk + 2 slices whole-wheat bread + 1 tbsp. of low-fat butter
      (540 calories, 55g protein, 57g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 2: 2 cups 1% milk + 1 oz. peanuts
      (360 calories, 23g protein, 30g carbs, 18g fat)

Meal 3: 1 bag spicy peanuts
      (270 calories, 12g protein, 9g carbs, 20g fat)

Postworkout: 2 servings whey protein + 1/2 serving Cell-Tech
      (370 calories, 44g protein, 44g carbs, 3g fat)

Meal 5: 1 cup cottage cheese + 1/2 cup pineapple
      (290 calories, 26g protein, 25g carbs, 10g fat)

Meal 6: 1 slice whole-wheat bread + 2 tbsp. peanut butter + 1 & 1/2 cups 1% milk
      (380 calories, 23g protein, 24g carbs, 20g fat)

Diet Totals.
      Total Calories: 2210
      Total (g) Protein: 183g - 33%
      Total (g) Carbs: 189g - 34%
      Total (g) Fat: 81g - 33%

Overall Comments.
      Feel pretty good today, might need a little bit of a nap to pull 400+ lbs. today in rack pulls. That will take a lot of intensity and concentration. I am really hoping that my weight will be around 196.5 - 197.5 lbs. today. Last Wednesday I believe I was 198.5 lbs. so hopefully following this diet Ill drop around a pound or so of fat per week, while increasing my strength dramatically. Thinking a lot about my goals lately and I will achieve my squat goal next week. My other goals though are probably going to take a lot longer. What I am probably going to do is as I achieve each goal I will just make a 2nd goal - and strive for that. Even though some exercises I still maybe trying to achieve the first one. Something else that I have decided on is simply that I am not going to stop increasing the weight from one week to the next unless I only achieve 4 reps or less. Otherwise if I am at 5 or more reps I can make a 2.5 lbs. increase and maybe get an extra rep or 2. For example last week I benched 240 I think for 5.5, this week I am going to go for 245 and if I only get 4 then Ill know not to increase the next week. Mood again sucked today, just totally ridiculous. Immature, insecure, you name it.

Pain/Soreness.
      Pretty sore today. Lats and midback are really aching still, nothing new really. Biceps are a tad sore. Barely. Chest is still a little sore nothing too big of a deal. Quads and calves are aching badly! Glutes are killing too and hamstrings are also a little sore.

Sleep.
      7 hours sleep last night. Good amount of sleep, slept well. The only problem was that I had a little bit of trouble falling asleep. Kept having this wierd feeling that my girlfriend wasnt okay.. wierd I know.

Supplements.
      With Meal 1: multi-vitamin/mineral + 5g glutamine + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 50 mg. zinc + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 3: 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete + 1 Adrenalin

With Meal 4: multi-vitamin/mineral + 1g vitamin C + 400 IU vitamin E + 1 Calcium Complete

Preworkout: 5cc Liquid Clenbutrx + 250 mg. ALA

Postworkout: 1/2 serving Cell-tech + 5g creatine + 5g glutamine peptides + 3g arginine + 1g ginger + 250 mg. ALA + 250 mg. Aminogen

Before Bed: Sleep Formula + 5g glutamine

Training. Delts, Traps, Abs.
      Seated Behind-neck Barbell Presses: 160 x 6.5 (!) [***]

... Really good way to begin my shoulder workout today. Awesome set of BTN presses. Arched my back a little more than I wouldve liked but that really wasnt by choice. Kept form good. Pins were set right around ear level. I know that this maybe too high and some think its a partial rep but after talking to a physical therapist from my old highschool and a chiropractor from my job at the gym thats where they recommend. Anyway good set! Lots of intensity, up 5 lbs. and same # of reps. Thats always impressive. Good set.

Seated Overhead Dumbbell Presses: 75 x 7 (!) [***]

... Wow great intense here! OH DBs have always been a huge struggle for me. Always had a hard time having any kind of strength at all on these. Went up to the 75s from the 70s and only down a 1/2 rep. I really impressed myself here. I was wondering if 2 OH presses 2 days before my chest day is too much. I dont know just because my bench seems to be at a plateau I was trying to think of some way to justify it in my head. Anyway good ROM, hit delts hard. Really good set. Up to 77.5s next week.

Wide-grip Barbell Upright Rows: 115 x 8.5 (!) [***]

... Wow good set of upright rows today. Used a wide-grip, the same grip that I use on bench and BTN presses. Really hit my delts very very hard. Rolled my traps down and really just flexed my delts as hard as possible. Awesome overall set. Up 10 lbs. from last week and down a 1/2 rep. Only going to up 5 lbs. next week. This exercise if I go too heavy Ill take the emphasis off my delts. Which is not what I want to do. Pulling to about my sternum level right now.

One-arm Dumbbell Side Laterals: 37.5 x 9.5 (!) [***]

... Good set of laterals today. Up to the 37.5s from the 35s, with only a 1/2 rep drop in reps. I had a good set I mean very intense and really all out. Supported myself with a bench in front of me with one hand and did my laterals with the other. Kept elbow bent a tad and tried not to use too much body English. Hit my side delts hard in this exercise. Really felt it completely. Good overall set, maybe hit the 40s next week.

Seated Machine Side Laterals: 170 x 9.5 [***]

... Good set here. No increase though. Up a rep from last week. Actually hit a sticking point at 8.5 reps but I just fought my way through it to 9 reps and then just sucked it up and got another 1/2. Not sure how I did that. Today I felt it a lot in my traps so maybe I have the seat adjusted wrong or something. Definitely hit failure here though. ROM on this exercise was as good as it gets, still choppy and not all that great though.

Rack Pulls: 425 x 6 (!) [***]

... Crazy a*s set here!! Up 20 f*cking lbs. from last week which was insane to me completely. Definitely only going up maybe 10 this week tops. This set f*cked my day up. First rep my knees were wobbling like crazy. Almost like they were going to give out or something I couldnt figure out what was up with that. I mean completely confused me there. Hit 100% TOTAL failure on this exercise too. Grip was really exausting too. Usually my grip doesnt seem to be a problem but today my grip was aching throughout. Didnt affect my set but still, noticed it more today. Didnt feel AS strong on these as I did last week, but it could have just been that I worked out at 8:30 PM instead of 4:30 PM. Big difference. Anyway last rep was a complete B*TCH woah. Barely, and I mean just barely, completed it. Didnt think I was going to get it.

Seated Dumbbell Shrugs: 100 x 9 (!) [***]

... Good set here. At this point my traps were so completely fried it was just unbelievable. Traps and grip were just exausted. Completely. Up from the 95s to my gyms highest, the 100s. Got the same # of reps which surprised me a little bit. Grip didnt fail before my traps which I thought was really good. Glad that my grip is strengthening along with the rest of my body thats the way that it should be. Anyway stretched out traps hard at the bottom of the movement and flexed them hard at the top. Good set.

Hang Cleans: 150 x 8 (!) [***]

... Good set here!! Intense as can be and just awesome. Very very very good set. Form was flawless and traps got stomped. Totally fried my traps, all the way. At this point my traps and delts are just so exausted - hang cleans just really kill them off. Lots of strength on this exercise, very intense. Good set. Definitely hit failure at 8, knew I couldnt get anymore. Great set.

Machine Crunches: 160 x 16.5 (!) [***]

... Awesome set of crunches, good way to end my workout. Abs seemed exausted even before I started the set, I dont know why. Anyway contracted my abs like crazy during this set. Wow very intense ab contractions along with some intensity. Overall set was excellent. Focus and all that was really really good as well.

Training Length.
      Today my workout lasted 35 minutes. Worked out a little bit later than usual but that didnt really affect my workout performance which was really good I thought. Brief and intense.

Water.
      Good amount of water today - need to keep it up.

Weight.
      Today, preworkout and clothed, but without shoes, I weighed 197.5 lbs. I was sort of ranging between 197 and 197.5 so I went with the higher of the to. Down around a pound from last week which is good I mean as long as my strength goes up and my weight slowly drops I should be fine.
    Last edited by MonStar; 05-05-2002 at 07:58 AM.

... Finally hit 6000 views.

MS

MACHINE
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MonStar
    [B][----------------------------------------------------------------[/list]
    Training. Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, Calves.
    [list]----------------------------------------------------------------
    Back Squats: 370 x 10.5 (!) [***]

Nice, very nice. If you're shooting for 5 and get 10, something good is happening. It's actually a good thing you're going up in weight next week, because it'll be tough to beat the reps @ that weight next week. I remember one week I got 315 for 18 reps and the next week I was shooting for 20, but I could only get it for 16 for some reason. Stuff like that is frustrating, and it bummed me out, but if I had upped the weight I would have probably never realized... Good luck next week, but it sounds like it'll be a piece of cake achieving your goal...
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

gino-
    Yeah man thats what I was thinking! My goal seems alot easier when I think about it now, but when I started off this journal and made my goals and all that 385 for 4 seemed like it was a LONG way away. I think my 2nd Goal for squats is going to be around 425 or something along those lines. Up a good 40 lbs. or so. Well see how that goes. Yeah I definitely dont think I could get 10.5 reps again with 370. No way. I am going to definitely pass 385 for 4, hopefully get 4 and keep going to 8. Today I pulled from around knee level 425 for 6 as you can see - and my knees almost gave out they were wobbling like crazy on that first rep. Freaked me out big time!

MS